The Official SOCCER Thread 2015/2016

The Sandman

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does offer up an interesting juxtaposition, doesn't it? Messi ignominiously quitting after a fourth final defeat, Ronaldo winning that.

Messi being one of the players of the tournament, loses. Ronaldo being mediocre, wins.

Let the pointless arguing commence.

1 minute ago, Mr_Oujamaflip said:

Messi being one of the players of the tournament, loses. Ronaldo being mediocre, wins.

Let the pointless arguing commence.

Well the three goals he got were vital, and at least two of them were top-draw - and have made the BBC poll of top goals.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Well the three goals he got were vital, and at least two of them were top-draw - and have made the BBC poll of top goals.

That's still 3 goals scored in 2 games where he's been pretty anonymous in the others. I'm not saying he wasn't good at all, I'm saying he wasn't good in a lot of the games.

To be fair that's been him all year. Look at his Champions League stats: 16 goals in 12 games but only scored in 5 (if I remember correctly) games.

It seems to me that the classic combo of a star player plus a competition winning team - a la Zidane, Maradona - are increasingly rare, although you can certainly say that, If France won via a Griezmann wonder strike, you could award Griezmann that accolade. Ronaldo needed a good final performance, preferably with a winning goal, or (in a na na land perhaps) a hat-trick, to jump onto that list and certainly overtake Messi. Obviously he was injured but he never looked at 100% at any point during this competition.

Anyhow, that is it over (thank god). Done and dusted. Back to Test Cricket, the Olympics (coming up) and a bit of boxing.

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It does offer up an interesting juxtaposition, doesn't it? Messi ignominiously quitting after a fourth final defeat, Ronaldo winning that.

And Ronaldo playing in Prem not just hiding at Barca. 

13 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Portugal survives.

Survival's natural as sorrow

Edited by wasted
As

Portugal are a very good defensive team. While I like the old era much better, kudos to this version for figuring out how to approach soccer/football in a very defensive manner yet still manage to win the whole damn thing. Their win was overdue actually considering how well they've played in past tournaments and got ripped off time and time again in the process. Plus, aside from Iceland, they were the underdogs here that no one believed in. And they beat the favored team in the final in their own country. So it makes for a good story.

Something to consider, tho, is the fact that portugal wouldn't of even made it passed the group stages if we were still playing in the old format. Should Uefa revert to that structure? Food for thought.

Edited by rocknroll41

Decent game I thought, was intriguing right the way through. France only have themselves to blame for not taking their chances. Portugal did well after the reshuffle following Ronaldo's exit, firstly in doing their bit defensively and as the game went on, becoming more of an attacking force. And four clean sheets in seven games, with three in the knockout phase. Congratulations to them.

2 hours ago, Juventino said:

Decent game I thought

Can you tell me what tipple you drink?

PS

Oh yes, moth gate. Attack of the killer moths. These moths seemed the liveliest on the field. Moths having a bit of a ride on Pogma's head.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

The tragic Gazza circus continues.

Went to the offie in only a dressing gown.

Yes of course, his banger fell out as he got out of the car.

How many chances has the guy blown now?

He is a legend here, although he didn't play much for Newcastle. Wallsend boys club. That goal he scored against Scotland is sublime.