2016 National Football League (NFL) Regular Season

Ace Nova

Well, at least the Packers and Cardinals play some pretty epic playoff games.

Unfortunately the Packers always seem to be the losers. Good game, Cardinals.

Gotta go for two after that hail mary, however. You don't play to tie the game in that situation, imo.

nah I don't think any coach goes for two in that situation....... the way the defense had been playing McCarthy made the right call........

• Like 1

Well, at least the Packers and Cardinals play some pretty epic playoff games.

Unfortunately the Packers always seem to be the losers. Good game, Cardinals.

Gotta go for two after that hail mary, however. You don't play to tie the game in that situation, imo.

nah I don't think any coach goes for two in that situation....... the way the defense had been playing McCarthy made the right call........

the blown coverage was really the only major screw up the defense made and it unfortunately came at the worst time. one of the cards td's was on a lucky tip.

Arizona had been shredding GB's defense the last part of the 2nd half. If Randall doesn't pick off that shitty Palmer pass in the endzone, Rodgers hail mary wouldn't even matter. Arizona's offense had all the momentum going for them, especially after Dom switched to zone (which I believe he used on the first play in overtime as well)

On the flip side, after their first drive in the 2nd half GB's offense completely stalled out.

So what's the better odds - winning the coin toss and scoring a touchdown on your first drive (the most likely scenario needed to win) or getting two yards in one play?

I would go for 2. I would respect Mac a hell of a lot more if he would've gone for two, even if we didn't get it. We tried playing conservative on the road in the NFC Championship game last year and it came back to burn us. We were playing on borrowed time in this game anyway, why not go for it?

Arizona had been shredding GB's defense the last part of the 2nd half. If Randall doesn't pick off that shitty Palmer pass in the endzone, Rodgers hail mary wouldn't even matter. Arizona's offense had all the momentum going for them, especially after Dom switched to zone (which I believe he used on the first play in overtime as well)

On the flip side, after their first drive in the 2nd half GB's offense completely stalled out.

So what's the better odds - winning the coin toss and scoring a touchdown on your first drive (the most likely scenario needed to win) or getting two yards in one play?

I would go for 2. I would respect Mac a hell of a lot more if he would've gone for two, even if we didn't get it. We tried playing conservative on the road in the NFC Championship game last year and it came back to burn us. We were playing on borrowed time in this game anyway, why not go for it?

You don't need a TD to win only a field goal and one defensive stop. The Cards scored one TD in the second half so they were hardly shredding our defense. If it were not for the blown overage who knows if the defense does no stop the Cards on that winning drive.

Also if Shields had made that interception with 4 minutes left and us up 13-10 it might have been game over..

The smart play was to kick the extra point and take your chances in OT....IMHO that is what every NFL coach would have done especially in the playoffs when there is no tomorrow......

Edited by classicrawker

You don't need a TD to win only a field goal and one defensive stop. The Cards scored one TD in the second half so they were hardly shredding our defense. If it were not for the blown overage who knows if the defense does no stop the Cards on that winning drive.

Also if Shields had made that interception with 4 minutes left and us up 13-10 it might have been game over..

The smart play was to kick the extra point and take your chances in OT....IMHO that is what every NFL coach would have done especially in the playoffs when there is no tomorrow......

Right, hence why I said that scoring a TD on the first drive would be the most likely scenario needed to win, not the only one. And again the Cards were definitely shredding our defense after Dom switched to zone. If Palmer doesn't throw a lame duck into the endzone then the game would've been out of reach by the last minute, so the hail mary wouldn't have mattered.

Shields dropped pick probably cost us that game. He dropped another one in the end zone too earlier.

The smart play is the ensure that your HOF QB has the ball in his hands from 2 yards away with a chance to win the game, not try and take the odds of winning in overtime. They just scored a touchdown on two very long do or die plays, they were already living on borrowed time...you have to go for the win, not the tie. Also I have a feeling several coaches would've gone for two in that situation, including the one on the other sideline.

Edited by Crazyman

Right, hence why I said that scoring a TD on the first drive would be the most likely scenario needed to win, not the only one. And again the Cards were definitely shredding our defense after Dom switched to zone. If Palmer doesn't throw a lame duck into the endzone then the game would've been out of reach by the last minute, so the hail mary wouldn't have mattered.

Shields dropped pick probably cost us that game. He dropped another one in the end zone too earlier.

The smart play is the ensure that your HOF QB has the ball in his hands from 2 yards away with a chance to win the game, not try and take the odds of winning in overtime. They just scored a touchdown on two very long do or die plays, they were already living on borrowed time...you have to go for the win, not the tie. Also I have a feeling several coaches would've gone for two in that situation, including the one on the other sideline.

We will have to agree to disagree then............ :shrugs: ...........I don't consider the Cards scoring one touchdown in the second half a shredding and I don't think any coach would have gone for 2 in that case especially in the playoffs. You tie the score and take your chances in overtime. that is the smart play evidenced by the fact that seems to be what all NFL coaches do in that situation....... I can't rember one case where the coach went for the win and I would be surprised if you find cases where coaches went for 2 instead of playing for overtime when they could tie the score at the end of regulation time....evidently NFL coaches believe that is the smart play.....

Also the odds of a successful 2 pt conversion is 50% at best while kicking the extra point is over 90%. considering how much the Packers redzone offense has sucked this year which has the greater possibility of success.

let's look at a different scenario but similar to going for 2...

Packers down by 3pts. on the Cards 2 yard line, 4th down with 2 seconds left in regulation....do you kick the field goal and for the tie and overtime or try for the TD and the win? what do you think any NFL coach would do?

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2

We will have to agree to disagree then............ :shrugs: ...........I don't consider the Cards scoring one touchdown in the second half a shredding and I don't think any coach would have gone for 2 in that case especially in the playoffs. You tie the score and take your chances in overtime. that is the smart ply evidenced by the fact that seems to be what all NFL coaches do in that situation....... I can't rember one case where the couch went for the win and I would be surprised if you find cases where coaches went for 2 instead of playing for overtime when they could tie the score at the end of regulation time....evidently NFL coaches believe that is the smart play.....

let's look at a different scenario but similar to going for 2...

Packers down by 3pts. on the Cards 2 yard line, 4th down with 2 seconds left in regulation....do you kick the field goal and for the tie and overtime or try for the TD and the win? what do you think any NFL coach would do?

I think Arians goes for the win, in all honesty. Mac would've settled for a field goal 101 times out of 100.

Edit: Not to mention, think of the situation. If the Packers had driven down the field with a normal, time consuming drive then of course they go for the extra point. But they didn't. They converted a 4th and 20 from their own end zone for 60 yards, then converted a second successful hail mary on the last play of the game. Clearly momentum is on your side in that moment, which is why you keep the ball in your HOF QB's hands and end the game with a win or a loss right then and there.

And no, I don't remember any particular game that ended like that, either by kicking the extra point or going for two. The only game I can even recall offhand is the BAL/DEN game in 2012, but even then it wasn't the same.

Edit 2: It also sucks that Rodgers led an all-time incredible drive but won't get nearly enough credit for those throws because we didn't win.

Edited by Crazyman

Wow never expected Carolina to be kicking ass like this so far. Now this is what you call a defensive shredding........ Still a lot of time but not looking good for the Hawks down 31-0 with the Hawks offense looking lost. Seattle is not known for an explosive offense to begin and being down the way they are already it would have to be one of the most epic comebacks in playoff history........

Another thought on the Packers loss. Considering they lot their top 4 receivers to injury it is amazing they were even in that game. Imagine if Palmer had to play yesterdays game without Fitzgerald, Brown, Floyd and whoever is there #4 receiver...........

I swear, the Packers find the weirdest, most heart-breaking ways to lose in the playoffs lately. 2009 + this year Arizona, 2013 we dropped an extremely easy pick-6 and let the 49'ers drive down the field for a FG, and last year probably being the worst ever possible.

Just once I'd like to have my heart not ripped out and stomped on. Either win in a blowout or lose in one, you know? :lol:

Guess I'm rooting for a SB rematch of Steelers/Cardinals

Edited by Crazyman

Agreed. Game is in YOUR hands.

Two yards and you win.

You take out the drama and coin flip options. Just like what ended up happening. GB didn't even get to touch the ball in OT.

Two yards - you win.

Or you have to rely on your defense. Then you gave to drive 50-80 yards to score.

At least the Seahawks lost.

Agreed. Game is in YOUR hands.

Two yards and you win.

You take out the drama and coin flip options. Just like what ended up happening. GB didn't even get to touch the ball in OT.

Two yards - you win.

Or you have to rely on your defense. Then you gave to drive 50-80 yards to score.

At least the Seahawks lost.

And this is why you are not a coach in the NFL.......no coach is going to take the risk you propose in an NFL playoff game......this isn't fantasy football......... Edited by classicrawker

I don't go for 2 either but I also don't get eyes off of the opponents' franchise WR.

The Cardinals should have had to work for that TD at the very least but as usual Capers plays pussy ball and that happens.

Just curiuos why do you think Capers played "pussy ball"? Seems it was a blown assignment..........can't blame Capers for that....

From what I've heard (haven't seen the All-22) it was Peppers that blew that assignment by leaving his zone. Obviously can't confirm that, however.

Dom screwed up by switching from man to zone in the 2nd half just because Fitz started turning it on a little bit. You gotta live with him getting his instead of trying to change the entire concept of your defense, which was working extremely well.

That being said he didn't play pussy ball, he rushed on that big play and Palmer simply avoided it and found an open player. Half our team had a chance to tackle him by the time he got to our 30 and they all whiffed. Amazing play by Fitz, not a terrible call by Dom.

#stillshouldvegonefor2tho

From what I've heard (haven't seen the All-22) it was Peppers that blew that assignment by leaving his zone. Obviously can't confirm that, however.

Dom screwed up by switching from man to zone in the 2nd half just because Fitz started turning it on a little bit. You gotta live with him getting his instead of trying to change the entire concept of your defense, which was working extremely well.

That being said he didn't play pussy ball, he rushed on that big play and Palmer simply avoided it and found an open player. Half our team had a chance to tackle him by the time he got to our 30 and they all whiffed. Amazing play by Fitz, not a terrible call by Dom.

#stillshouldvegonefor2tho

Yeah considering how they stoned the Cards offense playing man in the first half not sure why he went to zone in the second half....he sent the pressure on the blown coverage so don't think he went pussy.......would love to know why Caper's went man though.....

Edited by classicrawker