2016 National Football League (NFL) Regular Season

Ace Nova

2 hours ago, Crazyman said:

As I said, problem A is Aaron. Problem B is MM. Then I'd argue that problem C is the lack of skill position players.

Aaron is the main reason why the offense is struggling. He clearly needs to get his shit together, and those stats were posted to prove that it's him and nothing else. Next is MM because he's made some boneheaded playcalls (shotgun toss on 4 straight possessions...it didn't work on any of them...and it hasn't worked ever being my person vendetta) and lack of desire to run Lacy in the 2nd half when he generally picks up his game. Plus the routes he calls are all long developing for some reason - it's the reason Bill Bellicheat will always be a better coach than MM, because he makes adjustments instead of saying that his players simply need to win their 1 on 1 matchups.

Then TT for drafting the same types of skill players - we have Cobb so we draft Monty, who is essentially a slightly bigger version of Cobb that we don't even use for some reason. Then we stubbornly stick with Adams even though he's shown nothing but regression from his rookie season. Adams is the opposite of Janis in that he does well in practice, then sucks badly in games, yet for some reason Janis is the scapegoat because he can't run routes, but at least he catches the ball when it hits his hands...

I think Aaron needs to start playing more in the preseason again. He was crisp to start last season, but otherwise has been off the past few seasons in the early part of the year. It's weird to think that our defense is gonna have to carry us this year...I never thought I'd say that with #12 as the QB

I agree with all you said except giving up on Adams as he has had one bad season........if he tanks again this year then I would agree with you..........

regarding  Janis he has million dollar skills but a 10 cent brain as no matter how much talent he has if he can't run proper routes he will not see playing time at WR with GB at least.........

He does have a couple of things going for him though Arod seems to like him and he is an excellent ST player so he should hang around for a while which gives him time to finally click as a receiver.......it usually takes a WR 3 years before they excel so he still has a chance

55 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

The quote system on this website is such obnoxious fucking garbage.

You've articulated the problems but I'd argue the main problem is coaching/front office.

Leaders take the blame when things aren't going well. 

McCarthy hasn't adapted his scheme and Ted has enabled McCarthy by having Clements and Bennett at OC when they're ill-suited for the job. 

I think the talent is good enough to be far better than they are. The idea that they need to "find their identity" is just BS to me. Every other developed team in the league knows their identity. The Seahawks have not principally changed since Wilson's been there and they still win, etc.

Of course Rodgers needs to play better but the scheme and game plan is consistently stupid. 

Noooooo. No, no. 

The idea of bringing up trading Matthews will be sacrosanct to most and I admit he is a very smart player that helps tilt the field but he doesn't justify his massive contract. He routinely over runs plays, is overmatched by quality LTs, is injured fairly regularly, and just doesn't put up the impact plays his salary would suggest.

Rodgers commands big money and he's played like it by and large. His short pass game is hot garbage right now but no one can make the throws he makes routinely. Franchise QB. Rare talent. No. 

I'd take something like Datone Jones / Nick Perry / young guy OLB rotation and free that $$$ up elsewhere. Peppers is older than Moses and I can think of more impact plays he's made than Matthews since 2011. Part of that is the general state of the defense and Matthews at ILB but also Matthews just being a less impressive player. If he doesn't make big time plays this year when he should have no excuses, send him somewhere else.  

I was only half serious as franchise QB's are a rarity but lets consider what  happens if Arod continues to make splashy Arod plays on occasion but does not revert to MVP Arod and they don't win the division and or have another early playoff exit....then lets say Hundley either gets into a game or two this year and excels and or lights it up next summer preseason.......Ted would have to think about it yes?

I could see your argument trading him but disagree with you on Mathews regarding him not being an impact player....the man rarely leaves the field even when hurt, teams plan to stop him and he helped plug a huge hole last year agreeing to move to the middle and there run D improved with the move. ......this year he already has 2 sacks and his presence makes the rest of the rush more effective.........while Jones and Perry are playing well both have missed significant time due to injury and I don't think they are as effective without Clay on the field. Peppers is a role player now and plays limited snaps.....

I give Arod the benefit of the doubt but if he and the offense continue to struggle I think we need to worry that maybe he is the problem not a lack of talent in the skill positions....

You know, I'm actually concerned about something else too that I haven't mentioned - there's a rumor that Sitton got cut partly due to his contract situation, and partly due to his speaking out about the offense last year. Then there's been rumors about other players who have been basically shunned because they spoke out about something they didn't like. Then there's Greg Jennings after he left saying about how it was like a cult in GB...

That really scares me regarding MM. It basically sounds like it's his way or the highway, which is something that has worked in years past but when it comes time to make a change he's perhaps the most stubborn person about doing it. He's still gonna go on and talk about how players need to win their 1 on 1 matchups instead of actually doing anything to proactively help. I remember all those years when Aaron was getting sacked like 50 times a year he would refuse to give Newhouse and Breno Giacomini (how both are still in the league, I have no idea) any help. 

TT too. And Aaron, they're all stubborn. That's why I don't think anything is gonna change this season; I can only hope it'll change in the offseason.

To be fair he praised MM after they beat them in 2014. We haven't looked the same since.

And they wanted to keep Jennings - they offered him a decent contract but Minny ended up outbidding us and he moved on. Obviously the right call in the end (for us, at least), but it's not like we just kicked him out the door.

5 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

That's true and you're right, which is strange because outside of age, it's basically the same talent on the field. All the talent drain has been on defense.

From what I remember reading at the time, it was a token offer to Jennings.

I think we offered him $8 mil/year while the Vikings ended up giving him $9.5 per year. The Pats offered him $6 :lol:

Edit: We actually offered him $11 per year during the 2012 season and he turned it down. #whoops

Edit 2:

"When news broke, I contacted a Packers player for reaction, and he texted: 'I don't blame Greg at all. I just think he made a mistake. He went from prime rib to Burger King.'"

- Packers player on GJ signing with the Vikings. I wonder who the fuck said that?! :lol:

Edited by Crazyman

2 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I get more sad about Nick Collins. He was my favorite Packer besides Woodson. 

J-Mike's 2010 injury killed his career though. He was an absolute monster in 2009. 

I also get sad about things that happened in 2014 but they didn't happen allalalalalalalala

Touche. My phone was broken January whatever the fuck day that was, 2015.

It's sad in general how close we could've been to a dynasty provided we had some better luck on the injury front. And the OC's son not dying like 3 days before a playoff game...

Speaking of sad:

sad.jpg

Edit x 100000000: Look at this thread and your confidence in A-A-Ron is gonna shatter.

Edited by Crazyman

nice write up on the Viking game...........pretty much agree with all our criticisms of Arods play but gives the WR's equal criticism....If our Defensive backfield can get their act together we may have our best Defense since the Super Bowl year.

RECEIVERS (1)

Two completions for more than 20 yards, both to Jordy Nelson (39 and 21 yards), weren’t enough, especially against a secondary missing clingy CB Xavier Rhodes (knee). So much for easing Nelson back from reconstructive knee surgery. He played 68 of the 71 snaps, an indication the coaches think they cannot function without him or they have little or no faith in Jared Abbrederis (six), Trevor Davis (five) and Ty Montgomery (none). Trae Waynes, the fill-in for Rhodes, wasn’t the least bit in awe of Nelson. On plays that weren’t extended, Waynes didn’t give him much breathing room. The 39-yard reception was a broken route in which Nelson made a veteran’s adjustment over a relative neophyte. The 21-yard catch was a 6-yard stop route in which Waynes was all over Nelson but somehow failed to intercept or break it up. In Jacksonville, Mike McCarthy helped Nelson get an easier release by using him as the No. 3 receiver in a “trips” formation. It happened just one time this week. Randall Cobb (62 at WR, eight at RB) didn’t get much done against aggressive nickel Captain Munnerlyn. Of his five receptions, just one gained more than 10 yards (14). Cobb did make a fantastic hustle play ripping the fumble-recovery return from the grasp of SS Andrew Sendejo. Adams (54) was a non-factor with three catches in seven targets for 26. He fumbled for the first time in his career, dropped a 44-yard TD, let Terence Newman cut him off on a lazy slant route that probably should have been intercepted and was flagged for offensive pass interference with a ridiculous shove of Waynes. Adams turned Waynes in circles with a nifty double move and take-off route, but because Adams runs 4.55 and Waynes runs 4.26 there was little separation by the time the ball arrived. TE Jared Cook played 15 of his 46 snaps with his hand down, squandered a first down by showing no awareness after a third-down catch and made a terrific hustle play to recover a downfield fumble. It was a rough day as a blocker for Richard Rodgers (36, 13 down).

OFFENSIVE LINE (2 1/2)

The five starters and Don Barclay (one snap) were responsible for all five sacks, 4 1/2 of the seven knockdowns, one of the three hurries, five of the nine “bad” runs and two of the four offensive penalties. Look, it was loud and the track was fast and the Vikings have an excellent front, but if this group is as good as its members think it is the number of poor plays should have been less. If undersized but quick 3-technique Sharrif Floyd had been able to play (knee), it would have been a superb test for Lane Taylor. His replacement on passing downs, hard-charging veteran Tom Johnson, was the Vikings’ most productive rusher with one sacks and 3 1/2 knockdowns. Taylor gave up 1 1/2 pressures and 1 1/2 “bad” runs. He’s a competitive player; it’s an excellent sign that he has played much better in the two games that count rather than the four in August that didn’t. T.J. Lang knows he must let his man go; his penalty for holding was deserved and costly. Otherwise, Lang played well. JC Tretter had a brutal matchup against NT Linval Joseph and, much like Tennessee’s Ben Jones the week before, encountered problems. Tretter was partially responsible for three “bad” runs because of Joseph, and one of his two sacks was directly attributable to Joseph. Tretter made a great hustle play recovering a fumble. He also lost his poise and was tagged with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that came at a terrible time. David Bakhtiari’s 2 1/2 pressures all came at the hands of RE Everson Griffen, a premier player. For long stretches Bakhtiari stayed in front of him. On the sack, he changed his set and didn’t maintain the width of the pocket. Bryan Bulaga’s solid performance was marred by an up-the-field strip-sack by DE Brian Robison. He was effective against ascending DE Danielle Hunter. Tossed into the lineup when Lang exited briefly for one snap, Barclay got walked back for a sack by Johnson.

QUARTERBACKS (1)

From his first season as a starter (2008) through the first 14 games of 2005, Aaron Rodgers never had fumbled more than twice in a game, and that only happened eight times. Now, after a three-fumble showing in Game 15 last year and three more Sunday night, one of Rodgers’ most remarkable assets is starting to desert him. Taking care of the ball is No. 1 for Mike McCarthy, and it has been for Rodgers, too. He did well to elude a free runner, MLB Eric Kendricks, and then had his back turned momentarily when hit and the ball popped out. Robison’s hit came from the blind side, but in the past Rodgers almost always was able to maintain possession because of his large, strong hands. On the scramble, he was careless. With the outcome on the line, Rodgers made an almost all-arm throw on the sideline that floated because he had no base. It was slightly behind Adams and picked by Waynes. He was fortunate not to have given Kendricks a pick-6 early. In contrast, Sam Bradford trusted his leaky protection and stepped into his throws with velocity, accuracy and touch. Sometimes Rodgers almost skips into his passes, almost as if the mechanics of the position aren’t all that important at this point. If memory serves Rodgers developed into a deadly pocket passer when he wanted to be, replete with textbook form and fundamentals, for at least the first two-thirds of his nine seasons as starter. Priorities can change. Mike Zimmer blitzed Rodgers more than in their five most recent meetings (37.3 percent), but he kept sailing balls high and seldom made him pay. Yes, Tretter cost the Packers a free play downfield by not snapping the ball when Robison entered the neutral zone, but at that point was it necessary to get all over the guy? Nevertheless, it all starts with turnover avoidance.

RUNNING BACKS (2 1/2)

In just 12 touches Eddie Lacy (35) looked really good on gains of 12 and 13 yards. With Taylor knocked back into his lap by Johnson, Lacy broke three tackles for 12. On the 13-yard gain, he charged through a cutback lane created by Taylor, Bakhtiari and Cook. It’s an occupational hazard for the Packers’ ground game that daylight can be gone because at his weight Lacy isn’t as quick to pounce as most featured backs. His advantage, of course, is the ability to lean on people and bleed runs. Meanwhile, James Starks (30) can’t get on track. Granted, Tretter didn’t get the job done against Joseph on the fourth-and-2 at the Vikings 14 when McCarthy didn’t take the points. It should be expected of a strong, fresh back such as Starks to ram through Joseph and the unblocked Robison for first-down yardage. Starks also didn’t  always exercise patience. As the saying goes, slow to the hole and speed through the hole. FB Aaron Ripkowski played two snaps. McCarthy dusted off the shovel pass not once but twice for a total of 25 yards.

DEFENSIVE LINE (4)

Last week, one personnel man didn’t hesitate saying Tennessee’s Jurrell Casey, another sawed-off 3-technique, was a better player than Mike Daniels. Just as Casey belabored the Vikings’ O-line a week ago, Daniels (42 of the defense’s 58 snaps) did the same and might have changed that scout’s mind. He had all three of the D-line’s pressures, and all came at the expense of RG Brandon Fusco. Daniels’ natural leverage and unreal strength enabled him to manhandle Fusco and others in one-on-one matchups. After Daniels’ utter domination in the first quarter, offensive coordinator Norv Turner made doubly sure he’d be double-teamed. Letroy Guion was off to a solid start against his old team before departing after eight snaps with a knee injury. It opened the door for rookie Kenny Clark to play 38 snaps and, for the first time, show what he’s about. He showed a burst to the ball laterally. He recoiled off a double team to tackle Jerick McKinnon for a 2-yard gain. He split a double team with a back-door move that led to a tackle for loss. He batted a pass. He played with some emotion. Christian Ringo and Dean Lowry split 12 snaps.

LINEBACKERS (4 1/2)

Julius Peppers, almost invisible in the opener, demonstrated he still has life with a team-leading 1 1/2 sacks, two knockdowns and 4 1/2 pressures. Much of his damage came against RT Andre Smith, the ex-Bengal who appeared petrified of getting beat by quickness and backed up five or six steps before engaging him. Peppers’ 27 snaps included 16 at OLB and 11 as an interior rusher in sub. Until the last series, he almost never played in base. With the Packers in the 3-4 base on 23 snaps, Datone Jones was the 5-technique for all but three ahead of Lowry. Jones is so strong and determined that the coaches must feel he can hold up even at a reduced weight. Clay Matthews (38) sat out the seven-play final series apparently due to injury. He’s playing fast and strong. Nick Perry (49) had 2 1/2 pressures and, along with Matthews and the other OLBs, set a rugged edge so Adrian Peterson had no room to bounce outside. Even rookie Kyler Fackrell flashed ability on several of his seven snaps. On the inside, Jake Ryan (45), Blake Martinez (41) and Joe Thomas (17) were gap sound, tackled crisply and played with the confidence necessary to compete against Peterson. Ryan played a role in three tackles for loss and was sticky in matchup coverage. It won’t be long before Martinez notches an interception or two. He sees routes developing and gets in throwing lanes. Thomas continues to show that he can break down in space, come to balance and hammer small, quick backs in their tracks.

DEFENSIVE BACKS (1 1/2)

In Jacksonville, Damrarious Randall (58) played as well as almost anyone on the roster. In Minnesota, he got torched. Stefon Diggs’ nine-catch, 182-yard night wasn’t all his responsibility but the bulk of it probably was. In the first 16 minutes, slot receiver Adam Thielen beat Randall easily on sideline passes worth 15 and 12 yards when he played too soft. When Diggs crossed behind the line on fourth and 1, Randall was too nonchalant getting into position and didn’t look ready when Diggs broke it across his face for four yards. At times, Randall appeared to expect safety or linebacker help, but he was within range to make plays and didn’t on Diggs’ catches for 44, 46 and a 25-yard TD. He also was penalized twice for interference, and the last one killed the team’s last chance. There’s no excuse for having a game like that. He must get into better football position earlier and stop thinking he can open his hips and run with everybody. With Sam Shields (concussion) out, LaDarius Gunter (35) started, forced a fumble and was OK, as was nickel back Quinten Rollins (41). Shields is the stopper that the Packers lacked. TE Kyle Rudolph didn’t run much of a route but still was able to win a contested eight-yard TD from Morgan Burnett (45). It’s a tough coverage but with faster reaction it can be defended.

KICKERS (1 1/2)

Even though P Jacob Schum had the pleasure of working in a dome, two of his five punts were unsatisfactory. His averages were 38.6 yards, gross and net, and 4.35 seconds of hang time. Mason Crosby’s three kickoffs averaged 72.3 and 4.10.

SPECIAL TEAMS (4)

Montgomery, with a timely assist from Thomas, broke through the middle and blocked the second of Jeff Locke’s seven punts. The dynamic Cordarrelle Patterson returned one kickoff for 37 yards before Randall made a sure tackle. His other runback, 25 yards, could have been for far more if Marwin Evans hadn’t made a hard-nosed frontal hit. It’s hard to quibble with Davis’ decision not to field Locke’s late punt that landed just inside the boundary. It rolled about 15 yards but the rookie knows what he’s capable of and played the percentages.

OVERALL RATING: 3 footballs

STARS OF THE GAME: 1. Mike Daniels; 2. Julius Peppers; 3. Jake Ryan.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2016/09/20/mcginn-rating-packers-vs-vikings/90701150/

Edited by classicrawker

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

The offense looked like garbage in 2010 until Week 15. 

God dammit, I knew it was only a matter of time until someone brought up 2010 :lol:

This isn't 2010 :(

By the way, does anyone here have game pass? I'm thinking about buying it just so I can study what the fuck is going on

Edited by Crazyman

20 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

You're right but it's still early.

I have game pass but only use it for games

Speaking of 2010 I bought it that season but I remember it being only like $30 or $40. Maybe because I got a student discount or something...but now I see it's $100!

True it's still early. Hopefully it's a 2014-esk slow start instead of a season long thing, but unfortunately I think it's gonna be the latter.

5 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I'm gonna reserve further judgment until after the bye.

The Giants and Cowboys are tough then it's a cakewalk until Minnesota and a detroit to close the season.

The offense looked like garbage in 2010 until Week 15. 

True enough, and I agree it is early,  but Arod has been struggling since the beginning of last season. Everything revolves around him performing like MVP Arod again. If he gets his act together and we Shields back and do not suffer major injuries we will be tough to beat with our improved Defense...........

Edited by classicrawker

Good article on the other thing Mac has refused to do - stop running the same personnel and using the same sets on the majority of plays.

"It's like anything in this game, you really have a decision one way or the other," McCarthy said Monday. "Do you want to play personnel formation [and match] exactly this player to this play? We played like that at one time here. We do that sometimes in situations, and there's times where we don't. We play tempo and no-huddle. So the ability to do both is important, I feel, especially over the course of the season, and the utilization of the players in both formats is important because it definitely challenges the defense."

McCarthy likely was referring to 2011, when the Packers led the NFL so many offensive categories it was difficult to keep a count, and Rodgers won the first of his two NFL MVP awards. That year, McCarthy changed personnel groups often. He still relied on the three-receiver, single-tight-end, single-back set but only at a rate of 45.2 percent of the snaps. There were games when he seemingly changed personnel play after play after play. He used four-receiver sets on 29.9 percent of his snaps.

The more McCarthy wanted to play faster on offense, the more he used the no-huddle which inherently limits his chances to change personnel from play to play.

Since 2011, his use of the "11" personnel group has spiked. Last season, he used it on 62.1 percent of his offensive players, according to ESPN Stats & Info. It was roughly the same in 2014 (62.3 percent) and even higher in 2013 (72.0 percent).

The four- and five-receiver sets that were used liberally in 2011 have all but disappointed. Last year, McCarthy employed a four-receiver set on just 81 of 1,050 plays (7.7 percent). So far this year, it's slightly higher at 11.4 percent.

A-A-Ron of old hits Jordy here 99/100 times

it-is-called-garbage-can-not-garbage-can

Edited by Crazyman

As a Packer fan it is hard to have any sympathy for Da Bears but damn their defense has been gutted by injuries and Cutler has a sprained thumb................0-2 already and with all the injuries it is going to be a long season in Chicago I think..........

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17596402/chicago-bears-lb-danny-trevathan-thumb-surgery

In Packer news they brought in former Bill and Saint RB C.J. Spiller for a tryout............maybe he will be their change of pace back?

Edited by classicrawker

23 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I saw that article because the JS Online comments guy posted it. :lol:

All true, however. Everything that has been posted about Aaron's struggles have unfortunately been true. We can blame MM all we want for running the same personnel all game, but they've been getting open...it's Aaron that's the problem right now.

On 9/19/2016 at 5:06 AM, Mansin Humanity said:

:)

Edit:

i knew this was coming :lol:

it is really odd to see rodgers playing like this, the guy is only 32, which still should be prime years or at least very good years, but he has looked like a completely different player to start the season. maybe getting home will do the packers some good.

Edited by bran

I honestly think they need to basically baby him over the next few games to get in a better groove. Essentially force him to throw it quickly and shorter (aka trusting his receivers), because he's not even looking short when we've had players wide open.

Mac needs to stop using the 11 personnel 80% of the game too. Try switching things up a little bit like he did in 2011...for some reason (probably because of "tempo") he keeps having more and more of the playcalls geared in that personnel. But tempo doesn't matter if the players can't get open constantly and Aaron doesn't see them/throw the ball accurately when they do get open :lol:

This does not bode well.

I take it as a positive that Arod still has that cockiness and faith that they will fix the issues but I hope it also is not a stubborness to refuse to accept that he has been part of the problem, at least as far as us armchair QB's and the football press are concerned..............:shrugs:

It would be interesting for someone to challenge him with the stats that Crazy posted and ask why his production has deteriorated over the past seasons worth of games where h posted sub 100 QB ratings and his completion % has dropped and they have not found a fix yet..........

I don't agree.

That interview screams "petulant child" to me. He's been getting criticized for 2 weeks and he's already at 11. 

It's like the coked out Axl of quarterbacks.

I don't disagree with you he comes off as arrogant but Arod has always been a "petulant child" when criticized as he has shown himself to have a very thin skin so not sure what you expected him to say.....even some of his ex-teammates have called him on his sensitivity to criticism in the past......remember when he told us fan to "relax" after they went 1-2 back in 2014?

for better or worse this is the guys personality so you will only be disappointed and get pissed off if you expect him to be humble as it isn't going to happen...........

I am not defending him just stating what I have observed with him since he took over for Favre..........We shall see if he fixes, what we armchair coaches feel are, his faults or continues to resist change and struggle...............

It is only week two so I will reserve judgement until they have played a few games..........they are playing home against a mediocre Lions Defense which has a lot of injuries so lets see if they can get on track with this advantage..........

So maybe my idea of trading him and going with Hundley is not sounding so bad now eh?............:lol:

Edited by classicrawker