The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Joshua is fighting Fury?? Fury is like the funniest guy i have ever seen but i gotta go with my new man Joshua!!! 19-0 by KO! THAT is a boxer!:headbang: ( God i wish i could have seen that fight! )

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh bugger. Del James is eulogising it on tweeter. The fight has just plummeted in coolness stakes.

LOL! it's ok... he will be crying like a little girl again when football ( American style ) comes back around and my 'Boys kick his blowhard teams arse! TWICE!

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Joshua is fighting Fury?? Fury is like the funniest guy i have ever seen but i gotta go with my new man Joshua!!! 19-0 by KO! THAT is a boxer!:headbang: ( God i wish i could have seen that fight! )

LOL! it's ok... he will be crying like a little girl again when football ( American style ) comes back around and my 'Boys kick his blowhard teams arse! TWICE!

Two hot sweaty men in shorts, why did I ever doubt your passion for the sweet science?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, I heard. Did you see in the Haye/Bellew fight where Bellew sort of shoved him away when he came over to shout panegyrics in his ear?

I saw a clip of it weeks later as i was away when it happened, he didn't half have a sulk on :lol:

The BIG fight the other night was the BEST HW title fight since Lewis/ Vitali IMO. I gained respect for Wlad in the loss. Record wise HE was already a top 20 all time HW (some would argue HIGHER, but not me, lol). But that was actually a GREAT fight for his legacy, even in a loss. He proved last night (to me), that he really is a top 20 HW.  Which all the props to Joshua for pulling off the win, with a KO none the less. He had a an all time great fighter standing in front of him, and HE came away away with the win. 

GREAT fight, best HW title fight since Lewis/ Vitali.

• Like 1

I just re-watched it. It really was a good fight and the best boost for boxing. We've seen all these big fights be duds over the last few year - I'd preferred to have watched Emmerdale repeats than Mayweather v Pacquiao for instance - so it was good to finally get one which lived up the hype.

Was it really though?  Or is it just that the lack of quality across has equalised things and made it look competitive?  Elite heavyweights blowing like fuck after 6 rounds to where ones too fuckin' knackered to finish the other one off.  Dont get me wrong it was entertaining but it was no more a 'great' fight than Dillian Whyte vs Dereck Chisora was.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Was it really though?  Or is it just that the lack of quality across has equalised things and made it look competitive?  Elite heavyweights blowing like fuck after 6 rounds to where ones too fuckin' knackered to finish the other one off.  Dont get me wrong it was entertaining but it was no more a 'great' fight than Dillian Whyte vs Dereck Chisora was.

I think it was a very good fight. It wasn't quite Thrilla in Manila or the majority of the fights involving the 'Holy' Sugar Ray/Marvelous Marvin/Hitman 'Trinity', but it was pretty close. The greatest sporting events tend to consist of somebody who is down and (almost) defeated somehow - through endurance, genius, pluck, divine miracle (call it what you may?) - fight back to win in the final moments. Think Botham at Headingley 1981 or Liverpool, 3-0 down in Istanbul 2005. You might also cite (although it was a more even contest throughout) Johnny Wilkinson's drop goal 2003 or those Nadal/Federer Wimbledon epics 2006-07? Joshua v Klitschko had that narrative structure.

You had four distinct phrases. First there were four tentative rounds. Secondly there were Rounds 5 and 6 in which the fight aggressively swung one way then the other, only to leave one participant (Joshua) dazed and out of puff. The next stage consisted of Joshua slowly clinging on and recovering while Klitschko, picking off rounds, waited for an opening. The final stage had Joshua, now thoroughly recovered, prevailing. It was a fight with four knock downs and at least three 'great' rounds. It was charmingly free of trash talking. Tyson Fury applied a bit of backstory. It had a youth v age thing, exuberance v experience. Arnie was in the crowd. Yes, it was brilliant.

Come on Len, your favourite sport needed this fight and needs its hyperbole. You've had some big and heavily hyped up fights recently. Commencing with Mayweather v Pacquiao we've had Flintoff v Dawson, Fury v Klitschko and Bellew v Haye and none of them were very good really. It is sometimes alright to ditch cynicism. This chap praises it, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/05/02/wars-ring-anthony-joshua-vs-wladimir-klitschko-joins-list/

PS

I threw a joke in there.

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think it was a very good fight. It wasn't quite Thrilla in Manila or the majority of the fights involving the 'Holy' Sugar Ray/Marvelous Marvin/Hitman 'Trinity', but it was pretty close. The greatest sporting events tend to consist of somebody who is down and (almost) defeated somehow - through endurance, genius, pluck, divine miracle (call it what you may?) - fight back to win in the final moments. Think Botham at Headingley 1981 or Liverpool, 3-0 down in Istanbul 2005. You might also cite (although it was a more even contest throughout) Johnny Wilkinson's drop goal 2003 or those Nadal/Federer Wimbledon epics 2006-07? Joshua v Klitschko had that narrative structure.

You had four distinct phrases. First there were four tentative rounds. Secondly there were Rounds 5 and 6 in which the fight aggressively swung one way then the other, only to leave one participant (Joshua) dazed and out of puff. The next stage consisted of Joshua slowly clinging on and recovering while Klitschko, picking off rounds, waited for an opening. The final stage had Joshua, now thoroughly recovered, prevailing. It was a fight with four knock downs and at least three 'great' rounds. It was charmingly free of trash talking. Tyson Fury applied a bit of backstory. It had a youth v age thing, exuberance v experience. Arnie was in the crowd. Yes, it was brilliant.

Come on Len, your favourite sport needed this fight and needs its hyperbole. You've had some big and heavily hyped up fights recently. Commencing with Mayweather v Pacquiao we've had Flintoff v Dawson, Fury v Klitschko and Bellew v Haye and none of them were very good really. It is sometimes alright to ditch cynicism. This chap praises it, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/05/02/wars-ring-anthony-joshua-vs-wladimir-klitschko-joins-list/

PS

I threw a joke in there.

They praise it because it earns them money and it is deserving of praise I just dont think you can look at it and go 'GREAT FIGHT, GREAT FIGHT, BEST HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHT IN YEARS!' like so many are without actually having seen a heavyweight bout in recent years because, as I said, its really not a lot different as fights go than Dereck Chisora and Dillian Whyte was the other month, two men of limited stamina and talent and chin gassing out in 6 rounds and then falling all over the place.  I agree its what boxing needs but all this 'the new Ali' bullshit from the British tabloids makes me fuckin sick, is that how cheaply the mans memory is going to be traded in, its just silly quite honestly.  

And I think Mayweather Pacquiao was a reasonably good fight, only reason people didnt like it was because, as ever, no one could lay a glove on Mayweather.  

And, just to clarify, it was nowhere near The Thrilla in Manilla, nowhere near, at all, in any sense, or any of the aforementioned trilogy, even the worst ones they had between them, nowhere even approaching. 

Edited by Len Cnut

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They praise it because it earns them money and it is deserving of praise I just dont think you can look at it and go 'GREAT FIGHT, GREAT FIGHT, BEST HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHT IN YEARS!' like so many are without actually having seen a heavyweight bout in recent years because, as I said, its really not a lot different as fights go than Dereck Chisora and Dillian Whyte was the other month, two men of limited stamina and talent and chin gassing out in 6 rounds and then falling all over the place.  I agree its what boxing needs but all this 'the new Ali' bullshit from the British tabloids makes me fuckin sick, is that how cheaply the mans memory is going to be traded in, its just silly quite honestly.  

And I think Mayweather Pacquiao was a reasonably good fight, only reason people didnt like it was because, as ever, no one could lay a glove on Mayweather.  

And, just to clarify, it was nowhere near The Thrilla in Manilla, nowhere near, at all, in any sense, or any of the aforementioned trilogy, even the worst ones they had between them, nowhere even approaching. 

You need big heavyweights and belts though, and Joshua is the new poster boy of British boxing. I do not think anyone can bring Ali comparisons because of two reasons: a/ Joshua is just starting out on his career b/ his division is piss poor compared to Ali's. But I still maintain that was a great fight. It would probably make a top thirty heavyweight fight - maybe a top twenty at a push.

PS

I do not rate the Thrilla in Manila as highly. I prefer Liston v Clay I or the Fight of the Century to be honest.

You need big heavyweights and belts though, and Joshua is the new poster boy of British boxing.

I don't disagree with that at all but that isn't reason to just start making things up.

I do not think anyone can bring Ali comparisons because of two reasons: a/ Joshua is just starting out on his career b/ his division is piss poor compared to Ali's.

You cannot draw comparisons to Ali on any level whatsoever, it's a joke, it's like comparing Raheem Sterling to Pele, it is ridiculous as a notion to even entertain.  Thoroughly ridiculous.  There are a lot lesser heavyweights out there with whom a comparison is sort of ridiculous.  

But I still maintain that was a great fight. It would probably make a top thirty heavyweight fight - maybe a top twenty at a push.

I could reel off fights offhand, and not even obscure ones that were better.  I really don't know what people were watching there, I really don't.  

I do not rate the Thrilla in Manila as highly. I prefer Liston v Clay I or the Fight of the Century to be honest.

Whatever your feelings about The Thrilla in Manilla it was two grown men in an unairconditioned arena packed to the rafters in the sweltering morning heat of the Phillipines that went life and death for 14 hard gruelling rounds, landing serious digs for the duration, they didn't start blowing out of their after 5 rounds, one having the other out on his feet for near enough two rounds and not having the arse to finish the other off, those men went shot for shot all the way down the line til they almost couldn't keep their hands up anymore, that fight was stopped only because Frazier with spitting rivers of blood and almost couldn't see...and he still fuckin' wanted it, I can't believe I'm having to argue this case, I really can't :lol:  

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't disagree with that at all but that isn't reason to just start making things up.

You cannot draw comparisons to Ali on any level whatsoever, it's a joke, it's like comparing Raheem Sterling to Pele, it is ridiculous as a notion to even entertain.  Thoroughly ridiculous.  There are a lot lesser heavyweights out there with whom a comparison is sort of ridiculous.  

I could reel off fights offhand, and not even obscure ones that were better.  I really don't know what people were watching there, I really don't.  

Whatever your feelings about The Thrilla in Manilla it was two grown men in an unairconditioned arena packed to the rafters in the sweltering morning heat of the Phillipines that went life and death for 14 hard gruelling rounds, landing serious digs for the duration, they didn't start blowing out of their after 5 rounds, one having the other out on his feet for near enough two rounds and not having the arse to finish the other off, those men went shot for shot all the way down the line til they almost couldn't keep their hands up anymore, that fight was stopped only because Frazier with spitting rivers of blood and almost couldn't see...and he still fuckin' wanted it, I can't believe I'm having to argue this case, I really can't :lol:  

You evidently do not. What about a forty-one year old pulling off that performance?

Leonard v Hearns or Hearns v Hagler over Thrilla in Manila any day of the week.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

You evidently do not. What about a forty-one year old pulling off that performance?

And what exactly did Klitschko pull off, he lost a fuckin' won fight simply because after dropping Joshua and having him bandy legged for 2 rounds he reverted to his old safety first style of jabbing and looking for openings, the same style which has been criticised for the past decade for making boring fights, it's not even like he was tired, Joshua was the one who was blowing like fuck and Wlad just let him off.  Two rounds later (a whole two rounds as well) Joshua was alright.

Leonard v Hearns or Hearns v Hagler over Thrilla in Manila any day of the week.

I'd hate to have to commit to an answer here, i think all three of those were fantastic fights.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

And what exactly did Klitschko pull off, he lost a fuckin' won fight simply because after dropping Joshua and having him bandy legged for 2 rounds he reverted to his old safety first style of jabbing and looking for openings, the same style which has been criticised for the past decade for making boring fights, it's not even like he was tired, Joshua was the one who was blowing like fuck and Wlad just let him off.  Two rounds later (a whole two rounds as well) Joshua was alright.

I'd hate to have to commit to an answer here, i think all three of those were fantastic fights.

His foot work was remarkable for a forty-one year old.

I do not read the fight that way. There is no doubt that he should have been more aggressive after the Joshua knock down in round six, but I thought he was headhunting.

You are the only guy who is not masturbating over this fight!!

His foot work was remarkable for a forty-one year old.

Or, as everyone has been saying since day 1, Big Josh is slow and ponderous with fundamentally flawed footwork.  Wlads footwork was very tidy and professional as expected as a man of his calibre but it was hardly nimble.

I do not read the fight that way. There is no doubt that he should have been more aggressive after the Joshua knock down in round six, but I thought he was headhunting.

When someone is THAT fucked you don't need to headhunt, you need to just lay into them, he could've pushed Josh over at that point.  He just reverted to type and turned into old jab and step off style Klitschko.  What, he was headhunting but the Cassius Clay like Joshua woudn't let him lay a glove on him? :lol:  Josh was so fucked at one point that he grabbed Klitschko and was leaning on him for support so hard that he drove Klitschko back until Klitschko turned him and pushed him off himself and got a telling off from the ref for his trouble.  Don't get me wrong, as I've repeated, I think it was a very good fight...but in amongst the greats?  C'mon.  

Word is a rematch might happen.

Edited by Len Cnut

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Every athlete will tell you that your legs are the first to go. They usually go in your early 30s.

It's not like they had much of a task in front of them in evading Josh.  

Edited by Len Cnut

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You cannot ignore his footwork, irrespective of the opposition. I do not find Joshua that ponderous. I thought he had a naivety at times. I thought he was one of your druggy chums? You should be hyping him up!

If you dont find his footwork ponderous then i dunno what to tell ya, Klitschko didnt blow everyones mind with some kind of fantastic footwork, he did what everyone expected, the only part of that fight was suprising was Josh and his ability to get up off the deck and then flatten Klitschko.  In fact if you go back to my post pre-fight i was saying he was going to use superior footwork...and its not like I'm some fuckin boxing sage, anyone could've told you that.

I like Josh i think hes a good lad, hes never been nothing but safe with me, you should see how much some of the local lads hate on him, i'm just not having the ridiculous Ali/greatest fight ever comments.

Edited by Len Cnut