The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Mayweather's second rematch, I reckon Castillo did him in their first fight but Floyd definitely had rotator cuff problems, you can hear him complaining in the corner, he wiped him out easily in the rematch. First Maidana fight, he did a a bit better than Cotto (who used his intelligence more than slugging like a wild caveman often and roughing Floyd up), Cotto's JAB was the main weapon, same with De La Hoya and when Maidana applied the jab he made Floyd think a bit. He's a weird as hell fighter but effective, the rough shit can get a bit irritating but it's fair and not just MMA like Mayweather whined about. You aren't gonna beat Mayweather in a chessmatch or without some way to offset his rhythm and elite armour. Cotto faded and Floyd took over in the later rounds. With Maidana, I'd say he took five of the first 7 rounds, then Floyd could've taken everyone except 11 but they were all real close in both sides of the typical 'two halves' of a match. Anyway 115-113 to a draw was fair for me.

Floyd obviously respects Maidana but the first time he was in supreme shape and smashing up Broner would've made him pay attention to the guy. He didn't 'do it for the fans' just like he said he got some bludgeons from Cotto for the fans, he has a huge ego but he isn't invincible as we've seen from intelligent and relentless pressure. Maidana can set traps and get through anyone's defense, like Pacquiao, you've gotta give some dynamite back or you'll find yourself cornered eventually and Floyd's legs aren't what they were, he's got balls taking this guy on again though.

Great opening fight. Virgil Hunter really got Angulo going there at the end when he had nothing left. Impressive showing by De La Rosa.

Sitting in the movie theater for the fight, and they just lost the signal due to a storm. Really hoping they get it worked out...

Edited by ronaldo9

Entertaining for different reasons than the last fight. Seemed like Mayweather's big adjustment was not getting caught on the ropes again. Even though he said he felt he was sharper in the first fight, I thought he really upped his defense and movement this time around. Maidana just couldn't touch him away from the ropes. Interesting night with the bite, low blow, tie ups, etc. Rough night for Kenny Bayless. Everyone thinking Khan is up next?

Speaking of biting, got a laugh out of Tyson and Lewis choking Jim Gray at the end of that one interview.

And sign me up for Santa Cruz-Rigondeaux.

This is the first time I've honestly looked at this guy and thought he was losing it. A fair bit too at that. To be fair he's been losing it since the Cotto fight, when he decided to get his Dad back into the fold to get back on track with his defensive work, that was a sign right there, this guy had better not fight Manny Pacquiao.

And uh, TBE yeah? What, getting jabbed on by the Maidanas of the world? Right, yeah. Chino shouldn't've lost a point for the bit where Mayweather fell, the guy was using his forearms yes but because Floyd was the holding the fucker, he was literally pushing Floyd off himself.

Edited by Lennie Godber

Floyd was on his bike but when he engaged he picked Maidana apart, he never got going, ought've came out exactly like last time but was probably conserving stamina Floyd never allowed him to use. He had patches of good shots, that counter right over Floyd's jab right at the end of round 3? was lethal, it really buzzed Mayweather, would've been interesting if it was mid-round. Pretty boring fight but cause of Maidana's awkwardness we didn't even get a technical masterclass like Canelo/Alvarez/Marquez fights, it was just a weird and disjointed fight. Mayweather has a habit of covering his opponent's mouth during headlocks so they can't catch their breath and Maidana took matters into his own hands again lol. Floyd is definitely slipping when he gets pressured, he used to be able to handle it a lot better after he learned from the JLC fights. De La Hoya, Cotto, Maidana and Hatton have all had some success. Pacman has also slipped but now we see Mayweather has we might get a Lewis-Tyson situation... better late than never.

Mayweather says it can only be broadcast on Showtime and Mayweather Promotions has to promote it, he's still avoiding it, who's he gonna fight to somehow magically transport to The Best Ever? Golovkin and Pacquiao are the only two who'll get him much higher up, Garcia, Khan, Thurman, Brook? Good fighters but not elite... Canelo looks a great fighter who'll go down as a significant win, maybe Thurman would but he's even greener than Canelo.

You're spot on right y'know, the only difference is Mayweather weren't leaping up like Pacman was otherwise it might've been a different story, this is where May has more brains than Pacqiuao...or less guts, depending on how you wanna look at it, I'd tend to go for more brains in that he weren't sleeping on his face on Saturday.

I saw the Groves fight, he did a fine job, this guy was durable as fuck but he clearly swept the rounds. I lol'd when Froch just gave him that icy stare and said 2-0 when he asked about a third fight, I dunno though he never exactly whitewashed Groves in either of them and he's only getting older, third would be interesting but the knockout is the best way to put a rival to bed in the public's eye. I don't want to see Froch-DeGale, Chavez Jr would be a good scrap but Jr has no chance of beating him, Golovkin would be a dream fight and that's a 50-50.

He definitely has stamina issues, I dunno about his chin, it's decent at the very least, tbh the shot he took from Froch would've knocked most out, I know he got rocked and dropped against Anderson, Froch also had him in clear trouble in the first fight, Froch got dropped in the first round and came back cause his recovery powers and chin are legendary, that's an example of iron chin. The fact this guy dropped fucking Froch (who's been dropped only once) is amazing and gave him 2 good fights deserves top merit. Groves chin's not solid but it's acceptable. I think he could be a huge player at the weight but probably not ''elite''. I do actually think Froch has a point saying Dirrell could stop him if they fight, he likes to tear it up and that's not wise if your chin isn't ''solid'' in reality, this guy has very good boxing skills and has taken Froch into deep waters at what, 25 is he? He just needs to be smarter really.

Rebrasse was fuckin' wide open for the right all night but he just fuckin' hung onto it, it was weird. I mean he's known for fast hands so...y'know. No ones saying he has to throw right hand leads, set him up by all means, he looked like he didn't wanna even throw the jab, it's weird, especially for this fella giving off the whole 'thinking mans fighter' thing.