The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

He isn't elite level basically.

Fuck a third Froch fight, Froch done him twice. You could argue that the first was a dodgy stoppage but anyone who has watched Froch fight knows that he is a late starter and he is very easy to hit. He is very durable and tough. Watch his fight with Jermain Taylor. Taylor more or less had him beat until (I think) the final round. Groves was really hurt in the first fight, and in the second Froch tried to box rather than just wing punches and try to take him out. And look what happened.

I had Froch down 70% to knock him out late in the 2nd and he did just that, Froch was actually spot on with his own assessment, you have to have a superb chin to last 12 hard rounds with him and outwork him unless you're a supreme pure boxer and we know Groves can take a shot but it's not elite as such and if you can't stop this guy which no one on earth seems to be able to, you're going to have to decision him but stay right in there with him. Andre Ward is a spectacular technician, Kessler won a war of attrition and it was close as hell, in Denmark too so home advantage.

What pisses me off is Floyd seems to be gleeful in avoiding the Pacquiao fight yet claims Marquez's knockout as HIS own. Like, I whooped Dinamita 10 rounds to 2 so that means I've had 4 fights with Pacquiao and knocked him out, it's ridiculous. We all know he makes millions from decisioning fighters, we know his gets high PPV numbers due to his dumb act, I think the guy is an insanely talented boxers and that's why I watch his fights but all he goes on about is Pacquiao has Marquez and Bradley problems, he beats Bradley, Pacquiao has IRS and Marquez problems and needs to join Mayweather promotions, Pacquiao is desperate, he's washed up, he needs to get rid of Bob Arum, Pacquiao isn't on my level, I sell more PPV (yeah cause Maidana didn't have Khan problems/Alexander problems, Cotto didn't have Pac, Canelo and Guerrero were more proven...) His logic and contradictions are absurd.

You can't be TBE without fighting the BEST in your era and reaching for the stars... Golovkin comes in same weight as Canelo, Ortiz and maybe even Maidana, Pacquiao is still right there... take the test yourself.

So, guess that means Khan then.

Curtis Stevens has not looked that good since his loss to Golovkin. Lost by a wide margin last night to Hassan N'Dam, with N'Dam scoring the only knockdown, not the powerful Stevens. Granted N'Dam isn't a pushover or anything, but still was surprised to see him win so handily.

Mayweather, Sr.: "It's gonna happen...": http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11669125/floyd-mayweather-sr-says-fight-floyd-mayweather-jr-manny-pacquiao-happen

The interesting part: "Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum said recently that HBO and Showtime/CBS have been holding talks about working together on a joint pay-per-view."

Guess we'll see. I still think that if it does happen, that it will be for Mayweather's final fight. The combination of the drama of his final fight and the opponent that fans have been wanting for years would be the best chance of matching, or at least coming close to, the hype and financial records that a fight in their primes would have created. That would be my thinking anyways. Still not confident it happens.

Watched the Jermain Taylor fight last night. Seemed pretty even until Sam Soliman hurt his leg, then Taylor was able to score four knockdowns (along with a few Soliman slips/falls due to the injury added to that) to run away on the scorecards.

And, it looks like Shannon Briggs really needs some money:

I couldn't stop laughing when Wlad tipped that glass of water on his head but that was even funnier 'WHERE YOU GO, I GO CHAMP!!'' probably poke his head up through the toilet next after smashing through the floor below ''WHERE YOU SHIT, I SHIT CHAMP!!''

I think Pac-Floyd is actually a closer fight now than a few years back, Floyd is looking older finally but Maidana ain't just a stationary target like Guerrero and Alvarez so could be deceptive but Manny ate a relentless Rios up after getting KTFO and clearly beat a top 5 P4P in Bradley. Algieri is also more a test than folk think. This guy is as sure an ATG as Floyd, also has a more impressive resume though Floyd's is good but lacks star quality names in multiple. Pacquiao, you need to fire back to get him off you and the shoulder roll is nowhere near as effective. He also has no doubt been studying Floyd for years with Roach. Mayweather struggled against Maidana's pressure just like with Cotto, Hatton and Castillo. Cotto's and De La Hoya's jab too. Pac also looked ferocious against Marquez... I always had it 60-40 in favour of Mayweather but now see it 55-45 in Mayweather's favour. I'd always pick Mayweather UD over Manny but it might be working against him to have waited so long when his own reflexes are slipping.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd still pick Mayweather by decision every time, too, but good point on age may actually be benefiting Pacquiao when it comes to how they match up.

Emanuel Augustus (used to be Burton) is on life support after being shot in the head: http://theadvocate.com/news/10523604-123/brpd-investigate-monday-night-shooting

Augustus's 2000 fight against Mayweather:

Edited by ronaldo9

Yeah, I'd still pick Mayweather by decision every time, too, but good point on age may actually be benefiting Pacquiao when it comes to how they match up.

Emanuel Augustus (used to be Burton) is on life support after being shot in the head: http://theadvocate.com/news/10523604-123/brpd-investigate-monday-night-shooting

Augustus's 2000 fight against Mayweather:

Toughest fight Money ever had, along with Castillio I, which he lost if you ask me.

Yeah, GGG never disappoints. Always look forward to his fights. Interested to see Donaire-Walters on the undercard. Don't think I've seen Walters before (looks like he was on a card that featured Mikey Garcia and Donaire--remember seeing those two win their fights that night, but don't remember Walters if he was televised). Looks like he took care of Darchinyan more quickly than Donaire, so could be an interesting fight.

Great night. Good call on Walters winning. And, I thought Donaire looked more like his old self than the past few matches, but Walters was just better than him tonight--like Donaire admitted. Look forward to seeing more of Walters.

Only negative was how short GGG's fight was. That kind of quick knockout just leaves you wanting more. Really hope the possibilities that he mentioned in the postmatch interview happen. Cotto, Canelo, Chavez--some great possibilities. And, of course, Lampley saying that Andre Ward's lawyer emailed him saying that Ward wanted to fight GGG. Think GGG should go for one or two of the first three first, before Ward, but really interested to see how he would do against someone of Ward's caliber.

That does sound good. Will definitely check that out when it comes out.

Speaking of documentaries, saw this trailer for a documentary called "I Am Ali":

It mentions it's from the producers of "Searching For Sugar Man." Really enjoyed that documentary, so should be a good sign for this one.