The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Apparently he is a prodo who chooses to fight for Ireland which is a bit odd!

Boxing here is governed on an all-island basis, just as golf, cricket, and rugby are. It's not that unusual, you get a lot of sports personalities here who don't want to be defined as one or the other. 

Alright Gary, who stole your fuckin' bottle when you pulled out of the Eubank fight where you were gonna spark him out?

18 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Apparently he is a prodo who chooses to fight for Ireland which is a bit odd!

3 to 1 underdog Irishman took it to a hard hitting undefeated Mexican brawler, you should check out a replay of the fight, it was quality.

• Like 1

On August 1, 2016 at 4:13 AM, Len B'stard said:

Alright Gary, who stole your fuckin' bottle when you pulled out of the Eubank fight where you were gonna spark him out?

3 to 1 underdog Irishman took it to a hard hitting undefeated Mexican brawler, you should check out a replay of the fight, it was quality.

Len - have you seen the preview for Hands of Stone? If so, what do you think?

1 hour ago, Len B'stard said:

I dont go in for all that to be honest, never even watched the Ali movie, I'd rather just watch the fights.  Why, didja like em then?

It looks interesting. It's the life story of Roberto Duran and how he handled the "no mas" fight and the aftermath of his decision. Robert De Niro plays his manager.

37 minutes ago, Apollo said:

It looks interesting. It's the life story of Roberto Duran and how he handled the "no mas" fight and the aftermath of his decision. Robert De Niro plays his manager.

Theres a lot of good documentaries on that.  Not saying that to detract from your interest in the film, i just mean if you're into Duran they're pretty good.

Durans an all time great really, the guy fought in 5 decades if im not mistaken.  Monster of a fighter, one of the greatest lightweights that ever lived, he had a lot of balls going up all those divisons taking on men like Hagler etc

• Like 1

He doesn't mince his words does he :lol:

Should he go to matchroom though? As much as Eddie Hearn is a bit smug (well more than a bit) he seems to deliver more consistently than old Frank and that's what it's all about. 

53 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

He doesn't mince his words does he :lol:

Should he go to matchroom though? As much as Eddie Hearn is a bit smug (well more than a bit) he seems to deliver more consistently than old Frank and that's what it's all about. 

I dont think so, he'll get where he's going with Frank just like Ty' did with Mick Hennessy.  And also, does Eddie deliver, i mean really?  He's had Kell Brook fighting dead bodies for a decade before stitching him up for a fall against GGG, and lets face it GGG would fight a silverback gorilla.  Other than that whats Eddie really delivered?

I genuinely think Bill wants to fight but he's looking at things the wrong way.  For example he's backed out of the GGG fight because why, they wanted to pay him a mill?  No ones gonna give a Billy Joe 3 or 4 mil to fight a Golovkin, he's just not big enough a name, aside from the title win against Andy Lee he's only fought domestic level fighters.  Now he's turned down Gabe Rosado cuz he's not big enough of a name, alright, fair enough but at the same time he's a bigger name than anyone Bills fought.  I think he's making some bad desicions that are getting him a little looked down upon by the boxing community in America.  They say they are setting him up for a fight with Canelo (providing he comes through Liam Smith which i think he will) but you can't just go 'I'm a world champion now so i want Trump money', it ain't gonna fuckin' happen, you need to make a name for yourself.  

There's a reason why Eubank Jnr was getting a better offer to fight GGG than Bill was and that says something about how Bills regarded overseas and how bankable a name he is considered.  Gabe Rosado was stiff opposition, Willie Munroe too, GGG obviously was and he's basically swerved those fights for one reason or another.  And then telling a respected boxing pundit he's gonna bend his Mum over and do her up the arse ain't gonna win you any fans either :lol:

I don't think it's a Warren problem i think it's more to do with Bill looking to make more scratch than punters think he's worth.  I mean the sort of money he's asking for demands like a PPV event...how many people stateside do you think are gonna sink 70 dollars a pop to watch Bill fight GGG, or anyone for that matter on American TV?  

I dont think so, he'll get where he's going with Frank just like Ty' did with Mick Hennessy.  And also, does Eddie deliver, i mean really?  He's had Kell Brook fighting dead bodies for a decade before stitching him up for a fall against GGG, and lets face it GGG would fight a silverback gorilla.  Other than that whats Eddie really delivered?

I genuinely think Bill wants to fight but he's looking at things the wrong way.  For example he's backed out of the GGG fight because why, they wanted to pay him a mill?  No ones gonna give a Billy Joe 3 or 4 mil to fight a Golovkin, he's just not big enough a name, aside from the title win against Andy Lee he's only fought domestic level fighters.  Now he's turned down Gabe Rosado cuz he's not big enough of a name, alright, fair enough but at the same time he's a bigger name than anyone Bills fought.  I think he's making some bad desicions that are getting him a little looked down upon by the boxing community in America.  They say they are setting him up for a fight with Canelo (providing he comes through Liam Smith which i think he will) but you can't just go 'I'm a world champion now so i want Trump money', it ain't gonna fuckin' happen, you need to make a name for yourself.  

There's a reason why Eubank Jnr was getting a better offer to fight GGG than Bill was and that says something about how Bills regarded overseas and how bankable a name he is considered.  Gabe Rosado was stiff opposition, Willie Munroe too, GGG obviously was and he's basically swerved those fights for one reason or another.  And then telling a respected boxing pundit he's gonna bend his Mum over and do her up the arse ain't gonna win you any fans either :lol:

I don't think it's a Warren problem i think it's more to do with Bill looking to make more scratch than punters think he's worth.  I mean the sort of money he's asking for demands like a PPV event...how many people stateside do you think are gonna sink 70 dollars a pop to watch Bill fight GGG, or anyone for that matter on American TV?  

That's it though isn't it. He knows GGG would beat him up he was pretty straight up about it so i can understand why he wants stupid money to fight him because he's not daft. But at what 26? He shouldnt be idle for 8 months. Get with hearn and chuck a few George groves at him for a few hundred grand and then make the step up.

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

That's it though isn't it. He knows GGG would beat him up he was pretty straight up about it so i can understand why he wants stupid money to fight him because he's not daft. But at what 26? He shouldnt be idle for 8 months. Get with hearn and chuck a few George groves at him for a few hundred grand and then make the step up.

There's talk of him maybe moving up, i mean like vague mentions based on his always being big at middleweight.  He just wants names for cash, i think personally he should cultivate his thing in America, fight your Gabe Rosados, Willie Monroes, David Lemieuxs, all of those are tougher fighters than the Gary O Sullivans and John Ryders on his record.  He says they don't do nothing for his name well the only person that can do it if not them is GGG or Canelo then.  I think they're lining up a shot at Canelo and they don't wanna fuck it up on the way.  I think he has the tools to beat Canelo too, if he's REALLY on his game that night.

• 2 weeks later...