Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

I'd be surprised if that's his new finisher in the long run. He's been around the block long enough to be able to have something better than that, I hope it's temporary. I also hope he uses the curbstomp on occasion as a fatality move like Orton occasionally goes for the punt.

So E has banned Seth Rollins' curb stomp finisher citing too much risk for head or neck injury. Apparently he won't be using it anymore and they'll be trying to avoid showing clips of it in the past on TV.

So his new finisher is a modified Dirty Deeds where he lands with his back facing up instead of down.

I liked Dirty Deeds more when it was a headlock grip DDT where they both go forward. Now it's just a double arm DDT with a little swing to it

I may have invented a move. I call it the "Inreverted Powerbomb". You take 'em like a reverse DDT, bend 'em to put their head between your legs, hold their torso and lift like you are going for a tombstone, but keep lifting in one swift motion and deliver a power bomb where they land on their stomach instead of back. It might be a little dangerous.

I miss the WWF.

I miss piledrivers. And the punt. And chair shots. And brainbusters. And the shooting star press. And even Michelle McCool's Wings Of Love.

All of that stuff is readily available in NJPW, well no the wings of love, but everything else they do on the daily.

They should go back to spotlighting headlocks and armbars, hip tosses and arm drags, body slams and dropkicks if they are so worried about endangering the "performers". The head/body stomp has been used forever. They just shined it up and packaged it differently as the "curb stomp". It can't be anymore dangerous than any other move. For instance, jumping off ladders onto people, or leaping over the top rope onto steel and concrete. C'mon now...I'm not buying it.

I miss the WWF.

I miss piledrivers. And the punt. And chair shots. And brainbusters. And the shooting star press. And even Michelle McCool's Wings Of Love.

Shit I was watching Royal Rumble 2000 and I don't miss chair shots to the head. Watch the Dudley/Hardy match. So many cringeworthy chair shots.

Yeah it's a fine line. There are things like egregious blading, that, while looking awesome, it's probably best that that's banned. Same with head chair shots and certain moves. That said, banning the curb stomp and completely banning blading is a bit much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crkkhlan3uA

GOAT chairshot at 5:25

Edited by bacardimayne

Jesus remember that match with the Rock vs Mankind where the Rock smashed Mick in the head with a chair like 15 times or something. That shit was fucked up. My favourite chair shot of all time was when HBK cracked Undertaker while he was on his knees. Nasty shit.

That whole head injury/damage aspect has become such a delicate subject with them since the whole Benoit thing.

I remember someone talking about Benoit saying, "Chris Benoit was one of the few people I ever worked with who would take a chair shot to the back of the head, which isn't good."

Bryan's headbutt isn't quite the same. I don't think he actually makes contact. Look at some of the matches where Benoit does one off the top of the ladder. He writhes around in pain holding his head after. I haven't seen Bryan do that.

Edited by luciusfunk

Bryan's headbutt isn't quite the same. I don't think he actually makes contact. Look at some of the matches where Benoit does one off the top of the ladder. He writhes around in pain holding his head after. I haven't seen Bryan do that.

Yea I remember seeing Benoit and Malenko in a cage gave match against someone. He did a headbutt off the top of the cage and rammed right into the dude's shoulder. That Nitro pulled me away from Raw.

I think they need to go back to being a legitimate sport.

Like I said, NJPW.

What's a good starting point for a new viewer?

I started with last year's Wrestle Kingdom 9 which, to their credit they brought JR and Matt Striker to do English commentary, they do a killer job of introducing the new viewer to the product. Then there's all the crossover shows with ROH. War Of The Worlds being the biggest one they've done. But this May they've got some more cross promotion stuff going on called Global Wars.