Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

AJ vs. Roman at least means we'll get serious heel heat on Roman. Hoping it means AJ gets a legit shot at the belt, but I'm afraid they're doing to AJ what they did to Sting and burying the guy who's been the face of the competition for most of his career. What a fucking shame. That main event was pretty great, though.

Super glad to see Enzo and Cass get that pop when they debuted, hopefully they can sustain it with a non-Mania crowd. Not sure I like the huge number of simultaneous call-ups. You got 4 main roster debuts on RAW with Enzo, Cass, Crews, and Corbin (the battle royal doesn't count for me), with the VaudVillains coming on SmackDown too. It's too much too quickly. Gotta space em out more.

Tyler Breeze has gone from up-and-comer to squash for the main roster to squash for newcomers. Just fucking sad.

How fucking cool is a packed stadium chanting "WO-MEN's WREST-LING!" I fucking marked out for that one. Love the women being so over. Coulda done without the Summer Rae/Sasha match, though. Sasha had to win a match during the Mania festivities, sure, but couldn't she have had a real match with a real opponent rather than that little squash?

JBL is just getting worse as time goes on. In the parlance of his cowboy profession, isn't it time to send him out to pasture yet? Please?!

Key points from FalconArrow's AMA

Cena is still rehabbing and won’t be back full time until May

Luke Harper injured and expected to be out until September

Seth is most likely out until May

Seth to turn face on return

The Authority angle should end / implode when Rollins comes back

A lot of the women’s roster do not feel super comfortable in the ring with Lana, however rumours of heat against her is untrue

Samoa Joe is expected to have a main roster run

WWE have no current interest in taking on Kurt Angle due to fear of injury - they may feel more inclined to give him one last match if he stops taking bookings

Tyler Breeze unlikely to have a future in WWE

Roman Reigns title reign likely to last until Summerslam

Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn will continue to feud

Kevin Owens very likely to be involved in the title picture this year

Previously been talks of making Paige champion or maybe putting her with the Wyatts

Wrestlemania in London is a pipe dream

Vince thinks Bray Wyatt is the new Undertaker and is there to make others look strong

Wyatts are getting a big change of direction

The atmosphere at RAW last night was sureal. I can't even begin to describe that. Highlights were:

- Jericho coming out and interupting Reigns and going full blown heel and the fans cheering hi louder and louder and even cheering and chanting "We ar idiots!" after Jericho called us all idiots for trying to highjack the show. I actually thought for a second after Jericho beat AJ clean at WM were they gonna do some weird one last push for Jericho to be a legit title contender. I had fantasies of WWE having some major balls and letting that one on one match happen last night and let Jericho walk out with the belt. Would've been incredible! 

- Enzo and Cass got the biggest reaction of the night and it was fucking awesome!
- Durring the Corbin/Ziggler match the chants for the beach ball were hilarious. It just kept goin and going and nobody in the arena cared about the match. We just wanted the beach ball. 
- The fatal four way main event was awesome. Cesaro coming back was great. Watching him and AJ in the ring alone toegther was great. Owens faking to jump over the top rope then rolling under it was hilarious and the crowds reaction by chanting "Holy shit! Holy shit!" was great. I'm not a huge fan of AJ and I think his Styles Clash move is super lame so I was hoping on eof the other three would win. Preferably Jericho but that's alright. 

Low lights or disapointments:

No Lesnar
No Triple H
No Undertaker(knew that would happen)
No Ambrose
Jillian fucked up a lot last night

Dudleys vs Usos was so fucking pointless

The women's champ formal presentation was a good idea but ended with a dud. Lame. 

All in all to be there in person Wrestlemania and RAW was an incredibly fun time. 

2 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Key points from FalconArrow's AMA

Cena is still rehabbing and won’t be back full time until May

Luke Harper injured and expected to be out until September

Seth is most likely out until May

Seth to turn face on return

The Authority angle should end / implode when Rollins comes back

A lot of the women’s roster do not feel super comfortable in the ring with Lana, however rumours of heat against her is untrue

Samoa Joe is expected to have a main roster run

WWE have no current interest in taking on Kurt Angle due to fear of injury - they may feel more inclined to give him one last match if he stops taking bookings

Tyler Breeze unlikely to have a future in WWE

Roman Reigns title reign likely to last until Summerslam

Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn will continue to feud

Kevin Owens very likely to be involved in the title picture this year

Previously been talks of making Paige champion or maybe putting her with the Wyatts

Wrestlemania in London is a pipe dream

Vince thinks Bray Wyatt is the new Undertaker and is there to make others look strong

Wyatts are getting a big change of direction

What a lovely swan song for us to get from him. RIP FalconArrow

(Not actually dead, but deleted his account right after the AMA)

2 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Finally watched Nakamura vs Zayn. Holy shit I think I love Nakamura. I'm gonna have to watch some more of his matches. 

The Observer's ect. match of last year is a good place to start. Alas every-time someone uploads it to daily motion/youtube ect, NJPW take it down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x41nc7k_shinsuke-nakamura-c-vs-kota-ibushi-iwgp-intercontinental-title-match-wrestle-kingdom-9-4-1-15-englis_sport Forgive the foreign commentators :P.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

Finally watched Nakamura vs Zayn. Holy shit I think I love Nakamura. I'm gonna have to watch some more of his matches. 

11 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

The Observer's ect. match of last year is a good place to start. Alas every-time someone uploads it to daily motion/youtube ect, NJPW take it down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x41nc7k_shinsuke-nakamura-c-vs-kota-ibushi-iwgp-intercontinental-title-match-wrestle-kingdom-9-4-1-15-englis_sport Forgive the foreign commentators :P.

I had heard so much about him but had never actually seen his work, and I was pretty sure he'd life up to the hype. I don't think there's any amount of hype in the world of wrestling that match couldn't meet. That was an absolute clinic. His entrance was perfect, the match was perfect, the spots were perfect, the finish was perfect, everything was perfect. Watching Zayn in the ring at the end was such a bittersweet moment, but I'm glad he could leave the promotion that he built in Nakamura's hands and get that magnificent send off.

10 hours ago, luciusfunk said:

"My client Paul Heyman!"

I was already laughing out loud just from the preview image. Magnificent. 

11 minutes ago, MrBrownstone531 said:

Somehow it "only" got 4 1/2 stars from Meltzer.  That was the best match I've seen in years.

To be fair, I don't think it's a 5* match either. Now, Meltzer's scale is all over the place, and while it's one of the best in-ring matches I've ever seen, at no point did I feel like Sami Zayn was going to win, and that takes away from it somewhat.

37 minutes ago, Conor said:

To be fair, I don't think it's a 5* match either. Now, Meltzer's scale is all over the place, and while it's one of the best in-ring matches I've ever seen, at no point did I feel like Sami Zayn was going to win, and that takes away from it somewhat.

At a point, NXT can only do so much. They hadn't billed it as Zayn's last match, but we all knew. Nakamura's first match had to put him over, and NXT can't change what makes smart booking. So the only way that match could go would be to make it a technical clinic with lots of near-falls to make both sides look superhuman, but if you're going to credibly book Nakamura and build the Kinshasa into a mythic unbeatable finisher, this was the way to do it. Sure, knowing how it's gonna go takes you out of the match and reminds you that it's all scripted. But NXT had no other choice. 

5 minutes ago, axlslash said:

At a point, NXT can only do so much. They hadn't billed it as Zayn's last match, but we all knew. Nakamura's first match had to put him over, and NXT can't change what makes smart booking. So the only way that match could go would be to make it a technical clinic with lots of near-falls to make both sides look superhuman, but if you're going to credibly book Nakamura and build the Kinshasa into a mythic unbeatable finisher, this was the way to do it. Sure, knowing how it's gonna go takes you out of the match and reminds you that it's all scripted. But NXT had no other choice. 

Yeah, and I appreciate that, but just because they had no other choice doesn't make it a better match. It's essentially as good a match as it could've been, it just happens to me that the limit was 4.5 because of those factors, in or out of their hands. 

The 5* star rating is debatable/subjective to different people. As for the Nakamura, for anyone interested in the matches he's had that the Observer rate above the Takeover match not counting various 4 1/2 star matches.

Japan NJPW Road To Tokyo Dome - Day 6
Dec 23rd 2013
Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito Draw (Time) Kazuchika Okada & Shinsuke Nakamura     ****¾ (4.75)
Japan NJPW G1 Climax 23 - Day 4
Aug 3rd 2013
Shinsuke Nakamura Def. (Pin) Kota Ibushi     ****¾ (4.75)
Japan NJPW G1 Climax 25 - Day 19
Aug 16th 2015
Hiroshi Tanahashi Def. Shinsuke Nakamura G1 CLIMAX FINAL   ***** (5.00)
Japan NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 9
Jan 4th 2015
Shinsuke Nakamura (C) Def. (Pin) Kota Ibushi   IWGP Intercontinental Championship ***** (5.00)
Japan NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10
Jan 4th 2016
Shinsuke Nakamura (C) Def. (Pin) A.J. Styles   IWGP Intercontinental Championship ****¾ (4.75)
Japan NJPW G1 Climax 24 - Day 7
Aug 1st 2014
Shinsuke Nakamura Def. (Pin) Tomohiro Ishii     ****¾ (4.75)
Japan NJPW G1 Climax 24 - Day 12 Finals
Aug 10th 2014
Kazuchika Okada Def. (Pin) Shinsuke Nakamura G1 CLIMAX FINAL  

****¾ (4.75)

Edited by AtariLegend

16 hours ago, moreblack said:

You have to see Nakamura vs AJ Styles from this year's NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 10.

I just watched this one on my lunch break. Dios mio, what a goddamn marathon. The armbar-to-triangle-to-Clash combo was the stuff of legend. And that fistbump at the end?! Oh goodness.

Though I fear that may happen, I think people are underestimating his reputation. Nakamura isn't an indie wrestler, he's one of the best/popular wrestlers in the world over the past decade who half that WWE roster has been in awe of for years. Bryan, Owens, Cesaro, A.J. Styles, Devit (Balor), Ibushi, Anderson, La Sombre ect and half of the people on NXT worked with him before. J.R wanted WWE to pick him up long before he signed.

He might not be making the absurd money that Sheamus/Big Show were offered in their contract renewals, but he's paid more than anyone on NXT and alot of the main roster.

Nakamura also has a fairly decent MMA record (before his wrestling career started) *well compared to his peers* and trained with Lesnar himself at the start of his career. So he has a little bit of legitimacy about him, which helps.

Speaks fluent English/Spanish too. Though part of the gimmick seems to be that he uses translators instead.

I think I remember Dave Meltzer himself saying Nakamura is his favorite wrestler. Probably why he expects more of him :P.

Edited by AtariLegend

I think Nakamura's background may actually hurt him in terms of getting a main-roster push. He's a STIFF worker. WWE doesn't even allow shots to the head with those aluminum foil chairs they use anymore, and Nakamura's signature move is KNEEING YOU IN THE FUCKING HEAD UNTIL YOU'RE UNCONSCIOUS. The guys with deep indy backgrounds will have no problem with that - Joe, AJ, Zayn, they've worked stiff strong-style matches before. But will WWE creative be willing to introduce strong-style to their G-rated, sanitized "kids show" (to quote the Champ)? I worry about that. I don't want Nakamura to sell out, and I don't necessarily want WWE to build itself into his star vehicle.

Honestly, as they try to build NXT into a viable touring brand rather than a minor league, I think he's a perfect main eventer. NXT can take more risks, work stiffer, and give more of that indy feel while still giving a WWE-caliber production value. Nakamura vs. Zayn was a perfect way to bring that kind of attention to it. Honestly, I'd love to see a couple of the more technical guys on the RAW roster - AJ, KO, etc. - get a shot at Nakamura in NXT. We're a long ways away from it fully developing into touring brand, but it seems like they can do it. It'll be like Bud and Coors buying up craft breweries - keep your product palatable to the snobs while still keeping your control over the industry. And Hunter really knows what he's doing with that brand, so I have good feelings all around.

Different note: anyone catch Cena on Conan last night? Talked about how he wants an emotional and passionate crowd, even when they boo him, then teaches the Conan audience to sing "John Cena sucks." It's pretty good - and god does that guy know how to work a room!

On 07/04/2016 at 2:15 PM, axlslash said:

I just watched this one on my lunch break. Dios mio, what a goddamn marathon. The armbar-to-triangle-to-Clash combo was the stuff of legend. And that fistbump at the end?! Oh goodness.

This one was great also

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mhgkn_shinsuke-nakamura-vs-kevin-steen-kevin-owens-17-05-14_sport

This list is a good summary of his highlights

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2akt3n/yeaaoh_the_essential_shinsuke_nakamura/

Edited by moreblack

If this show was 2 hours long each week and you had the likes of in no particular order;

Shinsuke Nakamura

Seth Rollins

Dean Ambrose

A.J. Styles

Cesaro

John Cena

Kota Ibushi

La Sombre

Hideo Itami

Zack Sabre Jr. (who might as well be under contract)

The Undertaker

American Apha

Sami Zayn

Brock Lesnar/Heyman

The Wyatts

Kevin Steen

Enzo and Cass

Samoa Joe

Prince Devitt (Balor)

Sasha Banks/Charlotte/Becky Lynch/Asuka/Bailey

With take your pick of 2 of either Mauro Ranallo, Tom Phillips or Graves on commentary you'd have a pretty interesting show every week.

Instead we have 3-3 1/4 hrs of nonsense every week with filler... celebrities, adverts, Big Show, Kane, Marl Henk, Sheamus, New Day Promos, The Usos, the most annoying commentators on TV and silly 50/50 booking where everyone jobs as much as they win. Shaky camera that can cause headaches and Stephanie McMahon promos. It's like purgatory when I try to watch a show.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

The Miz sitting a few rows in front of me at the Guns N Roses show tonight. I thought about seeing if he'd take a picture with me but then thought fuck it. Nobody was bothering him and I didn't wanna cramp his style and draw attention to him. Better to just let him chill and enjoy the night with his buddies. 
12932938_10156861570930397_3103368234084

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bono said:

The Miz sitting a few rows in front of me at the Guns N Roses show tonight. I thought about seeing if he'd take a picture with me but then thought fuck it. Nobody was bothering him and I didn't wanna cramp his style and draw attention to him. Better to just let him chill and enjoy the night with his buddies. 
12932938_10156861570930397_3103368234084

That's pretty... AWWWWWWSOOOOOOOME

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, axlslash said:

What was the fuckin' point of that match stipulation, eh?

Like I said in my predictions :P. The result would be ret-conned, didn't matter if Taker/Shane won. Same result. 

At least with Shane there, it means less Dr. Phil as the celebrity guest host.

• Like 1