Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

3 minutes ago, axlslash said:

I would agree with you, but the Cena/Ruru match for the US belt is too perfectly set up. Cena will restore the US title to what it was before Kalisto took a big ol' mask-wearing deuce on it, while Cena doesn't quite fit with the other guys in MITB.

That being said, what I've explained makes any damn sense, so it won't happen, and @The Real McCoy is probably right.

BUT WAIT! What happens when Cenawinslol faces Reignswinslol?!?! THEY CAN'T BOTH BE THE CHAMP! Guess the heavyweight title is coming back with a brand split at summer slam :P

Vince McMahon and logic can't exist together in the same universe.

On 23-5-2016 at 11:17 PM, axlslash said:

but nfw Vince is giving TNA's golden boy a strap on his first feud for it

Sad but true. This was a great chance to shoot AJ into super stardom though. And they just used him to make Reigns look strong instead. They made AJ look weak. They had Reigns kick out of every finisher AJ had. Even on a chair. AJ could have shot Reigns in the gut with a tank and he'd still kick out at 2. Making AJ come out and call reigns the better man on RAW the next night was an extra kick in the face. The guy is amazing and deserves better. And he's 39.... There's not that much time left for it. 

9 hours ago, axlslash said:

BUT WAIT! What happens when Cenawinslol faces Reignswinslol?!?! THEY CAN'T BOTH BE THE CHAMP!

They'll do that thing where the one dude is champ, but Cena is still the main event of every ppv whether he's in the title match or not.

7 minutes ago, username said:

In a Cena-Reigns match, I'd cheer Cena. 

The entire match would be them kicking out of eachothers finishers for 45 minutes. 

We should strap magnets to their backs and put them inside a copper tube. The infinite loop of spear-kickout-AA-kickout could power a small continent. 

Am I the only one who doesn't want a brand split? We got so many less than memorable PPVs with the split 10+ years ago IMO. 

Also they left it very vague. Distinct characters and storyline, but they never used the term brand split. So I don't know what that means or what to make of it. 

48 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't want a brand split? We got so many less than memorable PPVs with the split 10+ years ago IMO. 

Also they left it very vague. Distinct characters and storyline, but they never used the term brand split. So I don't know what that means or what to make of it. 

I'm guessing separate rosters midcard and below, with main eventers/champs on both. That's my guess anyway.

And as much as the split is getting the attention, let's not forget that they've also announced that Smackdown will move to Tuesdays and be live. A huge blow to TNA; not only are they head-to-head, but a pre-taped Impact up against live WWE is going to kill the Impact audience. 

44 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

Absolutely. Some of those PPVs were fucking brutal. 

Smackdown might actually mean something if this happens, but Raw is still 3 hours long.

Anyway; 

My dream roster is;

Baron Corbin

Big Show

Braun Strowman

Curtis Axel

The Dudleys

Darren Young

Epico

Fandango

Goldust

Heath Slater

Jack Swagger

The Usos

The New Day

Mark Henry

Primo

R-Truth

Roman Reigns

Titus O'Neil

The Asscension

Michael Cole/JBL/Bryon Saxton

The McMahons

...And all the women except Charlotte/Sasha Banks/Paige/Emma/Becky Lynch/Asuka on 1 show... so that I can avoid it and only watch the other show.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm too cynical but the brand split is gonna absolutely suck. Has failure written all over it. Creative can't get one show right and now we're gonna split the brand and hope they can get two shows right? No fucking chance.  Plus back to back nights of live broadcast... it's overkill. Raw is booked horribly and way too long and now they're gonan have back to back nights with two seperate rosters. No way I'm watching both shows. Guess I'll choose which ever one Rollins and Paige is on(hopefully on the same show). Oh and on a side note Rollins and Paige would make a cool duo I think ala Miz and Maryse but obviously with Paige getting actual ring time.  This shit about Paige dating Del Rio is horrible stuff haha. 

Edited by Bono

Since there's probably going to be 2 champions again, just a quick reminder;

The benefits I guess were that people like; Eddie, Edge, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Christian and RVD got to hold the titles when they might not have otherwise.

On the other hand people like; Jack Swagger, Mark Henry, Ziggler, The Great Khali and even JBL (who was a throw way tag-team midcarder for years until he randomly, changed gimmick then won the title and held it for almost a year) got a run as world champion.

16 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Since there's probably going to be 2 champions again, just a quick reminder;

The benefits I guess were that people like; Eddie, Edge, Rey Mysterio, Jeff Hardy, Christian and RVD got to hold the titles when they might not have otherwise.

Yeah the whole CM Punk thing would've never happened without his Hardy, Taker and Rey feuds and the SES would never fly on Raw. But on Smackdown it looked like guys could get away with pushing their own ideas more. 

Fuck raw. Fuck smackdown. Fuck the brand split, and fuck WWE.

I just finished season 1 of Lucha Underground, and that show reminds me why I fell in love with wrestling as a kid. Basic, consistent stories that are easy to follow and super relatable, and some of the best technical wrestling I've ever seen. Season 1 has a handful of old WWE guys who Vince never figured out how to use well and a handful of indie darlings. It's like NXT but with a bit more edge. Cannot recommend highly enough. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, username said:

Pretty much my thought on the matter.

Splitting your roster does NOT fix your shit booking. 

Adam's Pipe Bomb on WhatCulture has a great video saying the same about the great PG vs TV-MA debate - specifically that you shouldn't need blood and gimmicks to make wrestling fun (I say having just talked up Lucha Underground, whose first season Mania equivalent featured a straight up ECW match, a falls count anywhere match, and a match where fans at ringside got leather straps and were invited to kick the shit out of either wrestler who fell out of the ring).

9 minutes ago, username said:

Pretty much my thought on the matter.

Splitting your roster does NOT fix your shit booking. 

Just think that's more than 5 hours of WWE every Monday/Tuesday. Not counting the Raw Preshow or NXT on Wed.

With PPV's that's 8 hours not counting the PPV/Raw Preshow or NXT on Wed.

During Wrestlemania that's 10 hours in 3 days not counting pre shows/NXT (on Wed) or Takeover a few days beforehand.

...And it's mostly fucking garbage/stale.

Yep no one forces you to watch it and that's why I just skim results most next weeks, but when you drive of hardcores bit by bit.. good luck on keeping the casuals watching all that.

49 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

but when you drive of hardcores bit by bit..

What else are they gonna do? they always come back. Something always brings them back because deep down, they want to watch, even if they hate it. And they just look for any excuse to start again. Like junkies.

Edited by moreblack

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

What else are they gonna do? they always come back. Something always brings them back because deep down, they want to watch, even if they hate it. And they just look for any excuse to start again. Like junkies.

This might be true for people who post on wrestling forums, but the reality is... alot of people have left over time permanently. Not everyone keeps coming back, more and more are staying away. The main demographics for Raw viewers now is around males in 50's and they've lost their core audience of teenagers to people under 30 (like me who were watching since the late 90s). That might sound good, but the reality is they're just not attracting new viewers.

Ratings are lowest they've been since the mid 90's pre attitude era. They've been dropping steadily over time, funnily enough around the time they last done a brand extension.

Every few weeks now there's a record low rating for Raw. There was a time when Raw used to get 5.0 ratings regularly in the late 90's early 2000's. By 2004 it was basically 3.5-3.7s ect. By the start of this decade it was low 3.0's. Now it's frequently getting low 2.0's and this normally one of the better periods of the year.

There's a chance in November/December the ratings will draw below 2.0

• Like 1

13 hours ago, axlslash said:

Fuck raw. Fuck smackdown. Fuck the brand split, and fuck WWE.

I just finished season 1 of Lucha Underground, and that show reminds me why I fell in love with wrestling as a kid. Basic, consistent stories that are easy to follow and super relatable, and some of the best technical wrestling I've ever seen. Season 1 has a handful of old WWE guys who Vince never figured out how to use well and a handful of indie darlings. It's like NXT but with a bit more edge. Cannot recommend highly enough. 

A man after my own heart! I've been on the LU bandwagon since the very beginning. :headbang: Speaking of which I was very surprised by what happened this week:

Spoiler

Rey Mysterio, Prince Puma and Dragon Azteca lost the trios titles to Johnny Mundo, PJ Black and Jack Evans, was definitely not expecting that! :o

I think I'm on board with the brand split, it should promote longer matches on television, and more of a focus on talent lower down the card. In theory, this should be a dream for someone like Neville, but of course in practice could be very different. It's also dependent on how they work in the World Championship, how they split the roster, how PPVs work, whether or not they reduce Raw to two hours again etc. It has the potential to be a very good thing. I guarantee both shows won't be good at the same time much like 2002/2003, but if they bulk up Smackdown while keeping Roman Reigns' Raw Rumble then I'll gladly focus my attention to Smackdown.

3 hours ago, sturginho said:

A man after my own heart! I've been on the LU bandwagon since the very beginning. :headbang: Speaking of which I was very surprised by what happened this week:

Reveal hidden contents

Rey Mysterio, Prince Puma and Dragon Azteca lost the trios titles to Johnny Mundo, PJ Black and Jack Evans, was definitely not expecting that! :o

I'm only current through February, but I'll be caught up by next week.