Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

4 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I'm convinced most of the people who want the brand split to return did not watch Wrestling in 2002.

Smackdown is 2002 was as good as anything they've put out since. Sure, Raw was shit, but Smackdown was great. That was a direct product of the split.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

Smackdown is 2002 was as good as anything they've put out since. Sure, Raw was shit, but Smackdown was great. That was a direct product of the split.

So you're telling me that the result of this brand split is likely to be a 3 hour dogshit show once a week, as opposed to the current 2 hour dogshit show once a week. Progress!

12 hours ago, axlslash said:

So you're telling me that the result of this brand split is likely to be a 3 hour dogshit show once a week, as opposed to the current 2 hour dogshit show once a week. Progress!

The only good thing about the brand split, ever, was the brief Smackdown Six period which was allowed to exist because Smackdown was allowed to be more the "wrestling" show where Raw was the "entertainment" show. Everything else was stupid and annoying. The money in the bank angles transcending brands, the made up battle between the two (wanted to be like wcw vs wwe), the drafts, the two titles of everything. Oh fuck, they might even bring BACK the Diva's title for one brand... That would suck. A lot. It just makes NO sense. Plus we have NXT as the "wrestling" brand now.. 

Thing is, when you split shit in half, you don't magically have something good. Just two pieces of shit. 

• Like 1

Looking down the list of past winners for NJPW's Super Juniors tournaments over the years with the likes of Ibushi, Bálor, Ricochet, Liger, Eddie Guerrero and Beniot ect.

WWE are really going to struggle to compete with this Cruiser weight Classic tournament.

Live event last night. Jericho got a huge ovation being from Winnipeg and all. Ambrose got boo'd like you wouldn't believe. 

I still don't get new Day. I felt so awkward there when they came out. Kids with dildos on their heads everywhere. They were even selling cardboard booty o cereal boxes that people were buying like crazy. I don't get it. They wasted 10 minutes fucking twerking and dancing before the damn match. 

On 5/27/2016 at 0:03 AM, axlslash said:

Raw's already dogshit, as is Smackdown. That's 5 hours, so the prospect of turning one of those shows into something decent is good. 3 hours of dogshit is better than 5. All I've said was that it has potential.

8 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Which was a result of Paul Heyman's booking, a great roster, and Stephanie/Trips having a record low amount of power.

The success or failure of this idea comes down to execution and putting the right pieces on the board. 

I'm guessing this decision comes from Shane's presence. He's always wanted two promotions squared against the two and I'm sure he's going to try his damnedest to come out on top. 

You just know they'll:

- Make is Shane vs Steph and RAW vs Smackdown again. That's a bad idea because it makes it all about the McMahons again. Which people are pretty tired of imo. 

- Split belts, which will suck as women and tag devisions are minimal as it is. 

- Re-Re-Re-Introduce the big gold belt, ruining any meaning they've given to the IC and US titles as of late. I think I'd rather just have the wwe, women's and tag titles transcend brands and keep the IC and US belts meaningful. I just don't want there to be SO many titles. They'll become as meaningless as they were during the first brand split. 

- Have those fucking stupid draft shows 

- And worst of all, booking/writing/creative will probably remain in the hands of the same people who are doing a shit job at it now, especially Vince. 

I guess I'm just viewing the whole thing as how I'd do it, and of course, that'd be wonderful. I'm not sure they'll reintroduce the WHC though, you could well see WWE/Tag/Women's championships transcending the brands, with the IC and US being the sought after championships on each show. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like the Cruiserweight championship and/or European championship reintroduced, maybe even a television title. I totally agree with the draft shows, it should be one single thing like the very first one, none of this lottery nonsense.

On 5/26/2016 at 5:12 PM, AtariLegend said:

Ratings are lowest they've been since the mid 90's pre attitude era. They've been dropping steadily over time, funnily enough around the time they last done a brand extension.

Every few weeks now there's a record low rating for Raw. There was a time when Raw used to get 5.0 ratings regularly in the late 90's early 2000's. By 2004 it was basically 3.5-3.7s ect. By the start of this decade it was low 3.0's. Now it's frequently getting low 2.0's and this normally one of the better periods of the year.

There's a chance in November/December the ratings will draw below 2.0

USA Network's level of satisfaction with how WWE programming performs for them is probably as far as they look in terms of what those numbers mean. 

29 minutes ago, moreblack said:

USA Network's level of satisfaction with how WWE programming performs for them is probably as far as they look in terms of what those numbers mean. 

USA supposedly isn't doing too well atm, hence why they're happy with pushing WWE as their flagship programming.

Cena vs. Styles is a dream match, it really should be headlining the next PPV regardless of Cena winning. Personally couldn't care less about Rollins making Reigns look strong again.

That said this show, from what I've seen of it is at abortion level.

Edited by AtariLegend

Holy fuck I swear the first hour of RAW tonight was the worst first hour of all time. When you first hour revolves around a 20 minute promo with Shane and Steph and the New Day, then you get the Glden Truth on commentary while the fucking Usos have a match with Fandango and Tyler Breeze and some lame ass promo with Big Show.... holy fuck how do they expect people to stay tuned in. If I was genuinely watching and not having it on as background noise I'd have turned it off mid way through the opening promo with Shane and Stephanie. 

• Like 1

Cena vs AJ is a dream match in every way. Mr. WWE vs Mr. TNA. I just pray they don't make it a typical cenawinslol match by having him kick out of a finisher 8 times. Give AJ a win or two for fucks sake. 

This feels like Vince just kicking TNA some more by having AJ lose to his new chosen one and then his old chosen one a few times. And I shall hate Vince until eternity for it. 

Edited by username

Kota Ibushi who had last years MOTY with Nakamura has a new opponent lined up.

Looks much better than any movie WWE put out.

Oh... and if you guys haven't seen it yet. NJPW put this up for free for a limited time; 

It's the BOSJ Tournament Match that got alot of attention recently.

Edited by AtariLegend

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

Ah yes, that's the match that's got old fatso Vader's dander up

watched it last night, and whilst there are some spectacular moves I didnt think it was a particularly amazing match so I get where Vader is coming from, the IWC throwing a hissy fit about it is quite hilarious. The man is a leg end and has earned the right to voice his opinion whether some cry babies on twitter agree with him or not.

Also well done to TNA for bringin in Will Ospreay and not using him at all, they're like the Team Brazil of wrestling

It's called the Best of the Super Juniors. It's supposed to be about the best high flying/flashy (not technical) wrestlers in the world, many of whom WWE would love to have under contract. WWE is going to be having their own version (Cruiserweight Classic) soon (with Zack Sabre J.R. and possibly Kota Ibushi too), probably to get indie wrestlers under contract and put over Sombre.

It's a fairly prestigious tournament.

As for NJPW, they pay wrestlers more than TNA, they draw bigger crowds (in a smaller country) not counting Tokyo Dome shows and they put on a much better product. Only reason for wrestlers to choose TNA over NJPW is wanting to live in Florida America.

Edited by AtariLegend

It got an audible section of a Japaneses audience to chant in English to show their appreciation to both wrestlers, which isn't the norm.

Not sure WWE style chants at a NJPW show are a good thing though :P.

Edited by AtariLegend