Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

New belt looks like a fruit roll up. Good job Betty crocker. 

Read That apparently Seth's small package driver is what did Balor in on his injury. Shame if true. Thought I remember talks a couple years ago of vince never allowing that move to happen. 

Please God no Goldberg. I have absolutely zero interest in seeing him wrestle again. Especially with Lesnar after Mania 20. I don't even care if they both admit that was fault of their own and they were checked out at that point. 

I haven't watched it yet, but from what I understand, Finn didn't seem out of sorts or obviously injured on GMA today (no sling either). Maybe the Demon King is hurt but normal Finn is ok :P

The whole Sasha situation is weird. Reports are that they took the belt off her so she could deal with nagging injuries. Unless those cropped up in the last week or two, why'd they bother putting the strap on her in the first place?

Orton Lesnar could not possibly have been more of a dud. Fine as a prelude to the title fights or a palate clenser between the two, but that match as a main event was more of a disappointment than the Ambrose street fight - especially after that Rusev-Reigns bollocks. Absolute clunker of a way to end a 4hr show that easily could have been 3. 

Just watched Brock and Orton. Having a tough time reading that finish. Did Brock go off script? Those shots looked stiff as fuck. Even watched it back 2 times after and it all looked pretty legit. I'm confident Orton didn't blade there. He looked pretty knocked out to me. Maybe heat from Brock for the drug test shots from Orton? Fake or legit, I kinda enjoyed the finish based on the fact alone that we're all kinda left wondering. 

26 minutes ago, Gunner55 said:

Just watched Brock and Orton. Having a tough time reading that finish. Did Brock go off script? Those shots looked stiff as fuck. Even watched it back 2 times after and it all looked pretty legit. I'm confident Orton didn't blade there. He looked pretty knocked out to me. Maybe heat from Brock for the drug test shots from Orton? Fake or legit, I kinda enjoyed the finish based on the fact alone that we're all kinda left wondering. 

Unless this is to build to a resolution at Royal Rumble or Survivor Series or something, the wondering serves no purpose. I don't think Orton bladed, but I think it was a work. The way Brock kept jumping back in is the giveaway. There was never an honest attempt by security to stop him, and it all looked like everyone just played their part. No security, no X from the ref like we saw for Joe at Takeover, nothing. I think it must have been a work, a la Floyd breaking Big Show's nose and Rock busting Foley open. 

18 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Meltzer said the Orton/Lesnar match was as planned except for the amount of blood. The plan was for Orton to be opened the hardway, though. 

Even with the match being a dud, RKO gets a gold fucking star for that. You've just come back from a massive injury and extended medical leave, and how do you finish your first main event? By letting a legit UFC fighter shoot bust you open with his goddamn elbow. Out of those two dudes, Orton might just be the tougher. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Unless this is to build to a resolution at Royal Rumble or Survivor Series or something, the wondering serves no purpose. I don't think Orton bladed, but I think it was a work. The way Brock kept jumping back in is the giveaway. There was never an honest attempt by security to stop him, and it all looked like everyone just played their part. No security, no X from the ref like we saw for Joe at Takeover, nothing. I think it must have been a work, a la Floyd breaking Big Show's nose and Rock busting Foley open. 

All very true. Also just read a report that apparently Jericho didn't think it was a work and ran to gorilla. Asked Hayes if that was the planned finish and he wouldn't say. Jericho shouted "that's bullshit" right as Lesnar came through the curtain and Lesnar thought Chris was talking about the overall match. They got in a shoving and screaming war and trips and Vince both got involved in separating them. Vince told Chris it was a work and that he needed to be professional. Randy's also been saying he knew what was happening the whole time and everything went as planned. Either way, they executed it pretty damn well if even people working there weren't sure. 

1 minute ago, Gunner55 said:

All very true. Also just read a report that apparently Jericho didn't think it was a work and ran to gorilla. Asked Hayes if that was the planned finish and he wouldn't say. Jericho shouted "that's bullshit" right as Lesnar came through the curtain and Lesnar thought Chris was talking about the overall match. They got in a shoving and screaming war and trips and Vince both got involved in separating them. Vince told Chris it was a work and that he needed to be professional. Randy's also been saying he knew what was happening the whole time and everything went as planned. Either way, they executed it pretty damn well if even people working there weren't sure. 

Y2J is a vet and knows his shit. If they worked so hard that Jericho thought it was real, maddest of props to Orton for taking his licks like a fucking pro. Bullshit storyline progression, but fucking excellent execution. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Exactly after I saw the whole thing there's no way that wasn't scripted. Also the gash on Orton's head says there is NO WAY he bladed. That was a legit cut from the elbow I would say. Head shots are dangerous and at the same time elbows can make pretty significant cuts wihtout the overly serious blows. Mind you that one looked stiff as fuck but who knows. If you watch it again Lesnar actually holds Orton's head in one arm and lands the elbow with the other. Orton made no attempt to block it or deflect it and the shot was so abnormally viscious that I have to think if it wasnt preplanned Lesnar would be in some serious shit with WWE and as far fetched as it is could have possibly faced charges if he just decided to go way off script and beat a guy down like that. Also the fact Brock continued to pummel him and the F5 to Shane says it was 100% a work. I'll bet they wanted to add some realism to it and I'll bet Orton agreed to take the shot. Knowing he'd have to hit him just right Brock fired away, maybe harder than he had to but a simple elbow wouldnt pass when it came to calling the fight. They needed the blood as well for that I think. Sucha  weird and crazy finish though. Some people may not have liked it but in the end it cements Brock as this unstoppable beast the portray him as.

RAW is going to be interesting. Hopefully Brock makes an appearance. 

*** Made my post before reading it was somewhat confirmed it was all planned. Makes sense to me because of the way Brock hit that elbow. It's like he had a purpose to it, as if he knew he was trying to cut him. 

Edited by Bono

WWE confirming the Balor injury. Dislocated his shoulder on the guardrail power bomb, popped it back in and finished the match. Balor has a surgical consult this week, MRI initially showed what might be a labrum tear. If it needs surgery, he's looking at 2-3mo on the shelf. If this were an established title you could let him hold it on the shelf and just do promo work. But with a new belt that needs building up, hard to imagine they'll let the belt go uncontested at Night of Champions or whatever next month. Will be interesting to see how that uncertainty gets handled tonight. 

Side note: Sting and Balor, maybe it's time for WWE to outlaw power bombing people into upright structures

I'm in the huge minority but honestly that belt doesn't look so bad. It's not amazing but it's not the worst thing ever the way it's being made out to be. 

Edited by Bono

:lol:
Seth Rollins is the fucking man. The arrogance and attitude he came out with just now and how he praised the belt knowing full well most everyone hates it. Genius.  
Haha! Fuck I love this shit. Jericho is so awesome.  His look is so ridiculous and ony he could pull that shit off. 
All these guys coming out arguing and shit and Seth just sits off to the side pissed off and annoyed with it all I love it. It's fucking bullshit though that they aren't gonna crown a champion tonight but instead wait till next week. Dumb.  Next week it will be Rollins vs Reigns
I don't understand the appeal of Bailey. I used to hate Charlotte as a baby face but she's an awesome heel. 

Edited by Bono

NXT is the best wrestling show on TV most weeks. Absolute bummer that, after one of the best PPV shows I've ever seen from any promotion, having their regularly scheduled episode be a glorified clip show was disappointing. I know that's normal for them, but still a bummer. The Bailey tribute was nice, at least.  

3 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

The universal championship would look better with a black strap. 

The Smackdown tag titles are only marginally better than the Raw tag titles. 

And I'm loving Heath Slater right now. 

Heath might be the most over he has ever been in his career. Hard to imagine him and Congressman Rhyno winning a tournament that is a transparent excuse to do for American Alpha what the Universal Title was doing for Balor, but I hope they find a way to keep Slater around. He's clearly not actually in danger of getting released, as he's gotten more consistent TV time than anyone else in the company of late, but curious to see what they do.