Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

2 hours ago, username said:

You're not wrong about anything, but that's pretty much also my problem with it. I mean, Owens has been playing this obnoxious in your face loudmouth smartass heel character to perfection. Kind of Austin-like. I love that. But, also a lot like Austin, he brings it. He's great to watch in the ring and walks the walk every bit as much as he talks the talk. 

This whole let's copy what we did with Rollins deal doesn't do that justice. I'd have much rather seen him win it on his own strength and still piss everybody off to their faces. The kind of heel you can hate for being an asshole who earned it rather than a coward who had it handed to him. This finish makes me feel like they'll put him in the same cowardly heel hiding behind someone role as they did with Rollins. And that would be a huge waste of potential.

Plus I'm just SO fed up with McMahon's and Trips being the centerpiece of everything. Step back for fucks sake. 

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until Monday when we find out what the full angle is. I think itll be different from the Rollins angle, and I don't think they're going to make KO a coward. He'll still be KO, a heel with a fuck-you-I'm-better attitude comparable to the guy who helped him win the strap.

And I'm totally with you on the Mac family, but H hasn't been on TV in four months. Not gonna fault them for bringing out their top guy after 4mo on the shelf.  

22 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

WCW 2000/TNA were the only time he remotely had full control and both were messes.

Russo during the AE was working with a Austin/Rock/Mick Foley ect. in their prime who could easily tell him to fuck off. Vince had a different mentality about the product along with competition. Jim Ross was booking/writing shows too. Russo/Ed Ferrara were given too much credit. It's was alot more than just a 1/2 person change in the set up.

At least Cornette though even if some of his ideas are a little dated did run a developmental that got Lesnar/Cena/Orton/Batista during the early 2000's not counting earlier work the previous decade.

He said some less than complementary things about Omega recently. In fairness Omega until the Naito match did have people believing that he was just taking the piss out of NJPW to get NXT. Omega did a pretty spectacular job of conniving people he was leaving with his behavior, despite not actually saying it.

I also hope people realize Bryan isn't joking and it isn't a complete work, if WWE let him out of his contract earlier this year... he'd been taking Shibata headbutts in the G-1 this year.

I thought it was the opposite. Didn't Vince make him the sole head writer in WWF before he brought in his guy Ed Ferrara?

Didn't Russo and Eric Bicshoff get stuck working with each other in both WCW and TNA? Personally I don't really care that much, but to me it seems unfair for fans deny him his accomplishments just because he's done some stupid angles, and said things that piss people off.

Honestly ,at this point i'd take Russo, Ferrara, Bicsoff, Cornette, or anyone else from the past over the cluster fuck that it's become now.

The story lines now don't make any sense. They have no real characters anymore. When they do try and make characters, they completely fuck them up every time. I mean, they don't even know what to do with guys like Dolph Ziggler and Bray Wyatt, who should be massive stars, but are not.

John Cena should have been turned heel like Hogan was back in the day to extend his career. Instead they kept him as the top face in order for him to be booed out of the building every night by fans that are so sick of him they want to puke. Poor guy. Then they did it again with Roman Reigns. Fucking morons.

Look at all the guys are just walking out on them? CM Punk, Cody and now Del Rio, are guys just off the top of my head. All of them should be main event guys.

I've been watching wrestling since Hogan slammed Andre. I've seen a lot of up's and downs during that time period. What's it's become now is so bad it's actually disheartening to me as a life long fan.

They know it as well, hence this whole "new era" with the desperate brand split (that sucked before) and the pathetic new 'Universal" title that was described quite accurately by another poster in this thread.

You know, I can actually foresee a time some day where this art form no longer exists anymore unless something drastically changes. Then again GNR reunited, so anythings possible! :lol:

Eric and Russo only worked together briefly. Eric got fired originally after they started losing ridiculous amounts of money. Eric wasn't the booker/writer originally, but he did sign checks and appoint people to roles. Including let Hogan/Nash ect. do whatever they want (the famous creative control clauses). Nash was made head booker during his original run.

Nash knowing what's best for business booked himself to end Goldberg's streak and win the title. Then to drop the title to Hogan on a random Nitro after a finger poke. Hogan himself made Sting look like an idiot (see the ending of Starcade 97). Then they'd do stuff like Hogan/Bret Hart dream match on a random Nitro for 10 minutes and fans jumped ship.

Russo/Ed got hired after Eric's original firing after leaving WWF and quickly turned a sinking ship into the worst TV show of all time. See classic PPV matches like this; http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zof6_buff-bagwell-vs-positively-kanyon-j_sport

Eric returned briefly during the death rattle of WCW, but Russo was still in charge.

Chris Kreski if anyone's wondering was the head writer for WWF during most of 2000 (alot of people's favorite time period of the show). He got replaced by Stephanie...

Oh and in my personal opinion; Cody Rhodes was a bit overrated by anyone that thinks a boat was missed. I mean has anyone seen a decent Cody Rhodes match in the past decade (a 1 on 1, not a multi-man)? Looked back at Observer list of his matches since 2007. 2 non multi-man (Rumble/MITB/Tag Team) matches above 3 stars. 1 was against Rey Mysterio and the other was against Orton.

Edited by AtariLegend

17 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Eric and Russo only worked together briefly. Eric got fired originally after they started losing ridiculous amounts of money. Eric wasn't the booker/writer originally, but he did sign checks and appoint people to roles. Including let Hogan/Nash ect. do whatever they want (the famous creative control clauses). Nash was made head booker during his original run.

Nash knowing what's best for business booked himself to end Goldberg's streak and win the title. Then to drop the title to Hogan on a random Nitro after a finger poke. Hogan himself made Sting look like an idiot (see the ending of Starcade 97). Then they'd do stuff like Hogan/Bret Hart dream match on a random Nitro for 10 minutes and fans jumped ship.

Russo/Ed got hired after Eric's original firing after leaving WWF and quickly turned a sinking ship into the worst TV show of all time. See classic PPV matches like this; http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2zof6_buff-bagwell-vs-positively-kanyon-j_sport

Eric returned briefly during the death rattle of WCW, but Russo was still in charge.

Chris Kreski if anyone's wondering was the head writer for WWF during most of 2000 (alot of people's favorite time period of the show). He got replaced by Stephanie...

Oh and in my personal opinion; Cody Rhodes was a bit overrated by anyone that thinks a boat was missed. I mean has anyone seen a decent Cody Rhodes match in the past decade (a 1 on 1, not a multi-man)? Looked back at Observer list of his matches since 2007. 2 non multi-man (Rumble/MITB/Tag Team) matches above 3 stars. 1 was against Rey Mysterio and the other was against Orton.

LOL Yeah I remember watching all that happen at the time. What a disaster! No wonder Bret had a stroke.  And poor Kanyon fucking hung himself.

Stephanie may be the biggest problem in WWE if even half the rumors of her are true.

On 9/2/2016 at 2:37 AM, Ace Spade said:

You know, I can actually foresee a time some day where this art form no longer exists anymore unless something drastically changes.

Nah, there was wrestling before WWE, and it will still be there after it's gone. But looking at the long term, that won't happen anytime soon.

Russo's wwe work was not all gold either

Edited by moreblack

16 hours ago, axlslash said:

Reports that Cody Rhodes will be coming to TNA shortly, and that hell likely be working Mike Bennett after they did some good work out on the indies. That'll be a dynamite feud. 

Isn't he booked to do a PPV for ROH later this year?

EDIT: Apparently he plans to do both...

Source: F4WOnline

Former WWE Superstar Cody Rhodes is reportedly headed to TNA soon.

Dave Meltzer spoke with Cody at Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's Battle of Los Angeles this weekend. Cody has a deal in place with TNA and is planning on working for both TNA and Ring of Honor but won't be under contract to either.

Cody is apparently planning on feuding with Mike Bennett in TNA after the two recently worked together in Northeast Wrestling. Brandi Rhodes, the former Eden, has been doing some of Cody's ring announcing on the indies and it sounds like she may appear in TNA as well, perhaps in a mini-feud with Bennett's wife Maria Kanellis.

It'll be the first time in about 10 years that somebody works ROH and TNA at the same time. Hopefully they can come up with a similar deal for Bad Influence! :D

Edited by sturginho
Just seen this from Davey boy

2 hours ago, sturginho said:

Isn't he booked to do a PPV for ROH later this year?

EDIT: Apparently he plans to do both...

It'll be the first time in about 10 years that somebody works ROH and TNA at the same time. Hopefully they can come up with a similar deal for Bad Influence! :D

He's the hottest thing in the indies today, other than maybe Ricochet. Glad to see TNA leaving him the flexibility to do both - and hopefully this is Corgan opening the door to more ROH stars floating in and out.

Cody Rhodes the hottest thing in the indies :blink:

Speaking of ROH Metzler said Adam Cole's contract is expiring in a few months. Might be seeing him in NXT next year. The Young Bucks contract with NJPW is supposed to be coming up too, if they all jumped... (which isn't a certainty) and the Bullet Club disbanded... I think it'd be great for Omega's career. It'd be a great way to turn him face.

Omega though I think would be good enough to end up in the same place as the other notable ROH alumni did in WWE, not convinced about Cole. Omega though in NJPW having the best matches of his life though near the top of the card is what I'd rather see.

Personally hoping too that Ricochet stays in NJPW.

Read the list of names WWE supposedly will have on RAW now for their Cruiser-weight Division;

* Johnny Gargano
* Tommaso Ciampa (Both him and Johnny would be better off pushed as a Tag Team I think, considering both divisions are so weak).
* Brian Kendrick (Internet darling who's had 1 good match in the past decade that wasn't against better Wrestlers in a tag team match.)
* Rich Swann 
* Noam Dar (because he's Israeli *despite the Scottish accent*
* TJ Perkins (Because some fans know who he is, but can't remember any of his matches. *maybe the CWC QF will prove me wrong*)
* Cedric Alexander
* Akira Tozawa (This won't work well when they tell him to tone down his offense for TV)
* Jack Gallagher (He's fucked on the main roster, he'll be a comedy jobber for Braun Strowman)
* Gran Metalik (A lesser known CMLL/NJPW name, but pretty good... logically he's winning the CWC?)

Unless Ibushi signs a deal, I guess he'll be feuding with Kenny Omega in a few months. No way he's winning the CWC, this isn't the Super J Cup/BOSJ.

Edited by AtariLegend

Styles is probably going to be the heel world champion in yet another promotion soon (although when there's two champions in one promotion you can argue that no one is the champion).

Bit disappointing though that even if they put him with Nakamura and give him 30 minutes at Wrestlemania it's not going to be anywhere near his best NJPW work like this; https://vk.com/video64186726_171814784

Holding out hope Bryan/Punk are in the G1 Climax in 2018 after Bryan's out off his contract. 

Edited by AtariLegend

Lucha Underground is still the best show in wrestling, bar none. That Rey-Pentagon match was magnificent. 

MAJOR AZTAC WARFARE AND ULTIMA LUCHA TRES SPOILERS:

I accidentally found out that Rey takes the belt off Matanza at Aztec Warfare, Pentagon beats Sexy Star for the Gift of the Gods in the first day of Ultima Tres, then cashes in to beat Rey for the big belt; this week set that up perfectly.

Punk really needs to retire from UFC tonight regardless of what happens.

He's not Minoru Suzuki, Sakuraba, Shibata or a Brock Lesnar and this is probably the easiest opponent he'll get in UFC.

He should ignore the inevitable taunts, just having 1 fight should be enough.

-edit-

It's over, that was scary and I almost thought he'd be killed. He's still alive, but it was over fast.

Edited by AtariLegend

14 minutes ago, moreblack said:

It reminded me of Jushin Liger's one and only mma fight.

Against Suzuki too.

For anyone that's never seen it. Liger stands looking at him and then tries to do this at the start like it's a Wrestling match;

Suzuki moves out off the way, grounds him and punches his head and then chokes him until he submits.

Punk actually lasted slightly longer than Liger did.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

I don't think we'll see Punk back in WWE until it's got new owners.

Vince probably won't be involved with the company in a decade and if Triple H/Stephanie get over a billion (assuming it's even still worth it by then)... they'll probably sell.

-edit-

Doesn't look their'll be a second fight unless it was a big buy rate for this show.

Edited by AtariLegend

5 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I don't think we'll see Punk back in WWE until it's got new owners.

Vince probably won't be involved with the company in a decade and if Triple H/Stephanie get over a billion (assuming it's even still worth it by then)... they'll probably sell.

You watch the Ariel interview from a few days ago WWE is very actively financing Dr. Amann's lawsuit against him, designed to simply make him spend money. There's no way back there.

Punk is a good dude. His post-fight speech was marvelous, and I give him all the credit in the world for going toe to toe with a pro fighter and taking that asswhooping like a man.

That being said, there's a reason that fighters pay their dues before getting high profile spots on UFC PPV shows, and Punk should be fighting dark matches and FS1 shows for a while before he gets back to the big show. That was embarrassing to watch. 

• Like 1

Apparently the new WWE Brand Extension era kicks off properly tonight with the first SmackDown! only show.

WWE Championship Match:
-Dean Ambrose (c) vs. AJ Styles

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match:
-The Miz (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler

Six Pack Challenge to Crown the First SmackDown Women’s Champion:
-Nikki Bella vs. Becky Lynch vs. Carmella vs. Natalya vs. Alexa Bliss vs. Naomi

Finals of the SmackDown Tag Team Tournament to Crown the First Champions
-Heath Slater and Rhyno vs. TBD

Second Chance Tag Team Match:
-The Usos vs The Hype Bros with the winners facing Slater and Rhyno for the Smackdown Tag Team Titles

Supposedly Orton vs. Bray might not happen, because Orton "might" not have been cleared to wrestle as per a rumor. Either-way what an abomination. It might not turn out as bad as The Great American Bash 2004, but it'll probably be up their. Good thing I won't be watching.

It's a good thing too they finally managed to kill off their PPV business with the Network otherwise the numbers for this might have been embarrassing. They'd have blamed A.J.

Edited by AtariLegend

3 hours ago, axlslash said:

Punk is a good dude. His post-fight speech was marvelous, and I give him all the credit in the world for going toe to toe with a pro fighter and taking that asswhooping like a man.

That being said, there's a reason that fighters pay their dues before getting high profile spots on UFC PPV shows, and Punk should be fighting dark matches and FS1 shows for a while before he gets back to the big show. That was embarrassing to watch. 

Exactly this. I will admit I popped when cult of personality came on. But Mickey Gall has a fan in me. Good fighter from what I've seen so far. That and the fact that he had the balls to nonchalantly enter to that song last night was off the charts. So awesome haha. 

Backlash tonight is going to blow. Literally nothing on the card is enticing me to even want to watch it. Maybe Styles, but they'll think of some way to have him not win it, thus rendering it a waste of time. 

2 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Exactly this. I will admit I popped when cult of personality came on. But Mickey Gall has a fan in me. Good fighter from what I've seen so far. That and the fact that he had the balls to nonchalantly enter to that song last night was off the charts. So awesome haha. 

Backlash tonight is going to blow. Literally nothing on the card is enticing me to even want to watch it. Maybe Styles, but they'll think of some way to have him not win it, thus rendering it a waste of time. 

I think they'll do it, honestly. Ambrose is losing steam, and it's time to make AJ the face that runs the place in the truest sense. Make him that perfect heel champ we know he can be. I hope they don't fuck it up.

Other than him, the card is awful. Nikkiwinslol, Miz retains, honestly the only interesting match on the card is what they'll do with Rhyno/Slater, and even that's only from a booking standpoint. AJ/Ambrose could be good, but that match with DZ really has me down on Dean of late.

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

I think they'll do it, honestly. Ambrose is losing steam, and it's time to make AJ the face that runs the place in the truest sense. Make him that perfect heel champ we know he can be. I hope they don't fuck it up.

Other than him, the card is awful. Nikkiwinslol, Miz retains, honestly the only interesting match on the card is what they'll do with Rhyno/Slater, and even that's only from a booking standpoint. AJ/Ambrose could be good, but that match with DZ really has me down on Dean of late.

I've been trying to watch but I've bailed twice now to fold laundry and again to make lunch for tomorrow. Trying again, and we just have Wyatt vs Kane as a last minute sub for Boreton. Ugh. 

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

Nikkiwinslol? She wasn't even in the final two.