Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Word on the street is Anthem wants more exclusive deals with their talent, including a 10% skim on all indy dates. They also want to move to per-day pay instead of per-episode (aka a double-header day would pay for one appearance instead of two). They may be blowing up negotiations and looking for contract clauses the talent market won't bear. I just hope these folks land somewhere with TV. The Bennetts going back to ROH would be excellent. 

58 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Boooring

Did you watch his run in Lucha Underground? He's clearly a lot like Orton. You can tell when he's bought into a story, and when he has, he's dynamite. Hoping his Impact run is a good one. 

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Did you watch his run in Lucha Underground? He's clearly a lot like Orton. You can tell when he's bought into a story, and when he has, he's dynamite. Hoping his Impact run is a good one. 

No, I haven't watched any LU yet. I heard it's coming to Netflix, so I'll have to check it out. But WWE Del Rio never interested me. 

1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

No, I haven't watched any LU yet. I heard it's coming to Netflix, so I'll have to check it out. But WWE Del Rio never interested me. 

That's because WWE is totally incapable of casting foreign/non-white characters as anything but stereotypes. When El Patron is in his element, he's a really impressive worker. Lucha is worth a watch regardless of Alberto's involvement, but his work there was spectacular. 

On 2/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, moreblack said:

They're old now though. I'd be more excited if it was Omega.

That doesn't matter. As someone who has traveled all over for wrestling, I attended shows in 2007/8/9 where videos of Jeff Hardy got the pop of the night. I know it's been years but I feel Jeff could easily be slotted into the main event picture on either brand (probably Smackdown) and be just as over as anyone on the roster. I think he's 39 and even with his style he probably has a few years left if he wants to go. I'm not sure if he wants to be on the road full time and if not he will probably not get a full push.

Edited by Subtle Signs

20 hours ago, Subtle Signs said:

That doesn't matter. As someone who has traveled all over for wrestling, I attended shows in 2007/8/9 where videos of Jeff Hardy got the pop of the night. I know it's been years but I feel Jeff could easily be slotted into the main event picture on either brand (probably Smackdown) and be just as over as anyone on the roster. I think he's 39 and even with his style he probably has a few years left if he wants to go. I'm not sure if he wants to be on the road full time and if not he will probably not get a full push.

They're almost definitely not going to WWE. They just beat the Young Bucks at Manhattan Meyhem to win the ROH tag titles, and there's no way ROH took the straps away from the Bucks to put them on a team without a deal. 

They're almost definitely not going to WWE. They just beat the Young Bucks at Manhattan Meyhem to win the ROH tag titles, and there's no way ROH took the straps away from the Bucks to put them on a team without a deal. 

Why not? Aren't they fighting the Bucks Mania weekend?  Can't they drop the straps back then?

36 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

Why not? Aren't they fighting the Bucks Mania weekend?  Can't they drop the straps back then?

There's absolutely no chance that they only signed the Hardys to a one month deal. ROH is a much better fit, since they let talent do a ton more on the indy scene. WWE seemed to be sort of path of least resistance, but I really don't see them doing a short stint in ROH to jump to WWE. I just don't see it. 

I guess the Torch says they've signed with ROH. Then I read comments saying it's a one month deal? Who knows, I guess I'll wait for Meltzer to chime in.

I saw this on f4w:

Saturday was an eventful night for Ring of Honor.

There were surprise appearances by both The Hardys and Bully Ray at Manhattan Mayhem VI, with Broken Matt & Brother Nero (in their full Broken gimmicks) even going on to defeat The Young Bucks and win the ROH Tag Team Championship.

Both The Hardys and Bully Ray indicated that they were now with ROH, though how long they'll be with the company remains to be seen. The Hardys listed dates they'll be at going forward, including ROH's 15th Anniversary pay-per-view, but none of those were after WrestleMania.

Edited by Subtle Signs

18 minutes ago, moreblack said:

We've gone from nobody caring about Cruiserweight division, to Neville and Gallagher stealing the show tonight.

Gallagher is fucking awesome. I thought he was funny with the umbrella thing, but this match really won me over! His head butts were just so brutal. I'd like to think he would have no trouble head butting a Samoan. 

jwuSJyW.jpg

I really liked the show. My only complaint is the bullshit in the women's title match. Charlotte won by DQ the second Sasha touched her. Why did the ref let the match continue? That was horseshit. I know that wrestling is phony, but goddamn was that a glaring mistake. Other than that I was very entertained from bell to bell. 

• Like 1

I really liked the show. My only complaint is the bullshit in the women's title match. Charlotte won by DQ the second Sasha touched her. Why did the ref let the match continue? That was horseshit. I know that wrestling is phony, but goddamn was that a glaring mistake. Other than that I was very entertained from bell to bell. 

Disagree. This ppv has had the worst booking in months. Charlotte's streak meaninglessly ending, reigns ending strowman streak and momentum while gaining nothing, needlessly putting the belt on Goldberg and establishing a mania main event of 2 part-timers, owens looking like a chump and getting zero offense in, sashas interference, sasha beating nia with a roll up, meaningless impromptu matches for rusev and cesaro... 

Its just frustrating to watch. Literally the only ups are the cruiserweights and Joe.