Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

13 hours ago, moreblack said:

Kinda went downhill after Austin retired, but I remember 17 & 18 being pretty good. Also fans were a lot more compliant and just took whatever they were given back then.

You really didn't like 19?

HBK vs. Jericho, Rock vs. Austin III, Lesnar vs. Angle? 19 was one of the better ones I remember.

XX as well had one of the best WWE PPV main events off all time, at least the best Triple Threat I remember. Along with Angle vs. Eddie. It was hit/miss as usual, but I did not dread Manias back then. Around the mid 2000's (21 despite Angle vs. Michaels) is when I started not being optimistic. 27 is when I realized Mania isn't for fans like me anymore.

Edited by AtariLegend

13 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

You really didn't like 19?

HBK vs. Jericho, Rock vs. Austin III, Lesnar vs. Angle? 19 was one of the better ones I remember.

XX as well had one of the best WWE PPV main events off all time, at least the best Triple Threat I remember. Along with Angle vs. Eddie. It was hit/miss as usual, but I did not Manias back then. Around the mid 2000's (21 despite Angle vs. Michaels) is when I started not being optimistic. 27 is when I realized Mania isn't for fans like me anymore.

I really liked 31. Mania isn't gonna be WK, Final Battle, BOLA, etc, but in my opinion, reports of its demise have been vastly over-stated. Last year mighta been the worst since 2000, I'll give you that, but the one before had Bryan winning the ladder match, Rollins/Orton (including maybe the greatest finish reversal of all time), a H/Sting match that delivered in every way but the ending, a pretty damn solid match from Oldertaker and injured Braun Wyatt, Rusev and Cena putting on one of their numerous outstanding efforts that year (AND RUSEV RODE A FUCKING TANK), and the greatest MITB cash-in you'll ever see. It's not an indy show, but if that's not your kind of wrestling, you should probably stop watching WWE altogether. And that's not a knock or an insult, I can totally understand where it's just a different sort of product. But 31 was about as good as a WWE-style show today can get. 

Just one last thing. 27 was much worse than 2000. 

That was a 1 match show and as good as that match was, they still should have done Taker vs. Cena instead (years too late now). RE 31: I liked the main event, but Taker vs. Wyatt was mediocre. 

Some of the Takeover shows, show it is possible to put on pretty good current WWE style shows by changing the presentation. 

Edited by AtariLegend

I just found the My Son/Daughter Is A WWE Superstar series on the E's YouTube channel. What a great idea! So far they've done Finn, Rollins, Alexa Bliss, and Miz. For the heels it's about as much as you'll ever see WWE break kayfabe outside of Total Divas. It's fun to see the "fan turned star" sides of these folks. They're only about 10 minutes or so apiece, too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

I just found the My Son/Daughter Is A WWE Superstar series on the E's YouTube channel. What a great idea! So far they've done Finn, Rollins, Alexa Bliss, and Miz. For the heels it's about as much as you'll ever see WWE break kayfabe outside of Total Divas. It's fun to see the "fan turned star" sides of these folks. They're only about 10 minutes or so apiece, too. 

That's the stuff that makes me more intersted in wrestling these days. Back in the 80s 90s early 00s even, they were these untouchable cartoon characters. Now with stuff like this, and channels like Being The Elite + all the podcasts, you get to know the performers and see how and why they do what they do.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, moreblack said:

That's the stuff that makes me more intersted in wrestling these days. Back in the 80s 90s early 00s even, they were these untouchable cartoon characters. Now with stuff like this, and channels like Being The Elite + all the podcasts, you get to know the performers and see how and why they do what they do.

Being The Elite is the best. I love when they play with kayfabe. Like the last couple, they riffed on the "tension" between Cole and Omega in NJPW, which Being The Elite then spun into a karaoke battle singing Call Me Maybe. That kind of tongue-in-cheek wrestle crap pops me every damn time. 

The Miz "My Son Is A Superstar" is the best one yet - his relationship with his dad is hilarious. 

I love that someone calls that a report.

They've been teasing Omega vs. Cole ever since Omega returned and Cole's contract expires next month. This is the kind of reporting that's based upon assumptions.

I'm pretty sure Omega's going to turn face at some point this year, he's practically been one since Wrestle Kingdom. The only problem is it leaves the Bullet Club without a top singles star leader, I don't see NJPW using Cody in that role.

13 minutes ago, moreblack said:

So say Vince gets Cole, what do they do with him?

NXT I'd guess.

I like Cole, but I find it hard to believe he'd get the treatment Seth, Owens and Devit ect. got. WWE would presumably be signing him just to stop other companies having him on their books.

Edited by AtariLegend

I find that report absurd. Cole vs Cleaner is a long program, not gonna be over anytime soon. I'd expect WK12 may even be the blowoff to end it. NFW Cole goes to the E anytime soon. This is more ridiculous than "Kenny will be at the Rumble!"

I really like the new feel of Impact. Going all in ribbing WWE, Bruce Pritchard is now a bizarro Heyman for Lashley, El fucking Patron has the big belt in a program that is going to end up in a triple threat EC3/Lashley/Patron match that is going to tear the house down, Sienna vs Rachel Ellering was spectacular... it wasn't a perfect episode, but I'm very happy with the direction the product is moving. 

Watching a bit of the ROH anniversary show.

Look like Baretta is trying to is trying to emulate Mick Foley at this point. Seen him take some ridiculous bumps this year. He started the year at Wrestle Kingdom looking like he died and tonight... well.

-edit-

Oh and Cole just lost the ROH title, hasn't signed that new contract yet. 

Edited by AtariLegend

On 3/10/2017 at 11:29 PM, AtariLegend said:

Watching a bit of the ROH anniversary show.

Look like Baretta is trying to is trying to emulate Mick Foley at this point. Seen him take some ridiculous bumps this year. He started the year at Wrestle Kingdom looking like he died and tonight... well.

-edit-

Oh and Cole just lost the ROH title, hasn't signed that new contract yet. 

I wouldn't put too much on the title change in terms of what it means for Cole's future. Could it be? Sure. But the story with CD was *so* perfectly teed up. I think he told ROH when he plans to hang up the boots,  and they wanted to get him the big strap before he does. I would not be at all surprised if the long-term plan (assuming Cole stays) is a long feud with the Bullet Club, where Daniels retains over a few of them (Kazarian for sure, probably Cody too) before a title vs career match against Cole where Cole gets the belt back and retires CD. Or maybe let Kazarian do the honors. Either way, that's where I see this going. Could obviously be wrong. 

12 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

He was granted his release a few weeks ago. Not sure why WWE is just now reporting it. 

Because they like to announce and decide things on their own terms. Swagger requesting his release didn't necessary mean he would get it.

Speaking of which I believe Bryan (?) tried to get out of his contract last year before the retirement on RAW. They weren't going to grant him it when he still had plenty of time left, whether they'd let him wrestle or not. They also sometimes just freeze people's contracts to keep them from going else where; like Mysterio years back.

Swagger winning the belt was the ultimate example of it not really mattering. Fans probably would have chanted "you deserved it" too just for the sake of it, if it was in more recent times. 

1 hour ago, luciusfunk said:

He was granted his release a few weeks ago. Not sure why WWE is just now reporting it. 

He requested it, but they put out a statement saying it hadn't been granted. I think it was coming, but he started taking indy bookings before it was made official so Vinny had to swing his dick around and remind Jack who controls the industry. Carny wrestlecrap at its finest.