Wrestling Thread Vol. 3

ssiscool

Skipped to the end, didn't watch it live or on the network.

Seen the end of Charlotte/Bayley, no surprise. A pointless winning streak, given the title keeps getting lost on RAW. Charlotte I suspect now to balance it up will lose 75% of her matches for the next few years, while the commentators mention the streak no one remembered. Really should have just let Charlotte hold it till Mania at this point then drop it to Asuka the only other non geek they gave.

I notice they mentioned Goldberg never losing a 1 on 1 match in WWE PPVs. That's because ole Triple H (who was injured) had to get a pinfall over him a few months after he debuted years ago.

They're all geeks, Wrestlemania looks like it'll be worse than last year.

I read they're doing Orton vs. A.J. for the first time ever on a random SmackDown!. Say what you will about Orton, but this is why the PPVs are pointless half the time. By the time big matches reach PPV you've seen them an endless amount of times on TV. Hardly any fresh matches left. Orton vs. A.J. could have been a big match first time around.

Just imagine all the fans online crying when Reigns beats Taker clean next month.

1 last thing, for those not watching the superior PPV today (NJPW 45th Anniversary Show). Zack Sabre J.R. who refused a WWE contract during the CWC is now the champion of Evolve, PWG and Rev Pro. Ibushi who also wanted nothing to do with it faced Okada in the main event.

Edited by AtariLegend

Word is that Show-Shaq is off. 

So realistically: 

Berg-Bork (Uni title) 
Owens-Jericho (US title)
Charlotte-Bayley-Sasha-Nia (Raw Womens title)
Rollins-Trips
Taker-Reigns
Wyatt-Orton (WWE title)
Ambrose-Corbin (IC title)
Bliss-Becky (SD Womens title)
AJ-Shane
Cenikki-Miryse

Preshow:

Neville-Gallagher (Cruiserweight title) 
Club-Enzo/Cass (Raw Tag title)
Alpha-Usos (SD Tag title) 

Which leaves these guys without a Mania program:

Joe
Strowman
Zayn
Harper
Cesaro
Rusev
Finn 
Show
Ziggler 

Which is just wrong... They'll probably squeeze in another match with some of them, but still. 

I think the Mania card looks a lot more like 31 than 32 - if everyone shows up and puts in their work, it could be a really great show. 

Its also way too early to assume that Finn, Joe, etc will be out of the card. Finn is supposed to come back tonight, rumor has always been that Joe will have a significant role in the show, and there's still a month to go. I'm actually really looking forward to it and am excited to see where it goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

I think the Mania card looks a lot more like 31 than 32 - if everyone shows up and puts in their work, it could be a really great show. 

Its also way too early to assume that Finn, Joe, etc will be out of the card. Finn is supposed to come back tonight, rumor has always been that Joe will have a significant role in the show, and there's still a month to go. I'm actually really looking forward to it and am excited to see where it goes. 

This.

2 hours ago, axlslash said:

Granted. But with the notable exception of Wyatt, Vince is once again over-reliant on oldtimers, part-timers and Roman Reigns - guys who a lot of people really don't want to see in top feuds anymore. Inter-gender tag matches are always crap. And they did such a great job building Brown and AJ over the year that they could really make it their coronations. Not to mention Joe being over as hell. Just so many opportunities wasted. Plus the criminal under-use of Sami, Cesaro or Rusev... Those should have all been top stars by now. 

6 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

I disagree

What Wrestlemania matches are you most looking forward too?

Taker vs. Roman with an out of shape Taker "passing the torch" to Reigns.

Wyatt vs. Orton which just happened a few months ago on PPV, it wasn't very good.

A.J. vs. Shane with A.J. selling for an almost 50 year old Shane after his mess against vs. Taker?

Cena vs. Miz with Nikki and Maryse in a modified repeat of one of the worst Wrestlemania main events of all time?

Jericho vs. Owens in a battle of the 50/50 RAW main eventers?

Triple H vs. Rollins will be good or Joe if Rollins can't make it. 

Apart from Goldberg vs. Lesnar which will likely be a disaster if it goes longer than 2 minutes, the rest is just things you see on TV every week.

4 hours ago, username said:

Sami, Cesaro or Rusev... Those should have all been top stars by now. 

Did Cesaro just struggle to beat Jinder Mahal a guy who has lost almost every match in his career just recently? 

All 3 will probably hold the title before the careers ends (or one of the titles). It won't really mean anything though, midcard era for you.

Edited by AtariLegend

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

What Wrestlemania matches are you most looking forward too?

Taker vs. Roman with an out of shape Taker "passing the torch" to Reigns.

Wyatt vs. Orton which just happened a few months ago on PPV, it wasn't very good.

A.J. vs. Shane with A.J. selling for an almost 50 year old Shane after his mess against vs. Taker?

Cena vs. Miz with Nikki and Maryse in a modified repeat of one of the worst Wrestlemania main events of all time?

Jericho vs. Owens in a battle of the 50/50 RAW main eventers?

Triple H vs. Rollins will be good or Joe if Rollins can't make it. 

Apart from Goldberg vs. Lesnar which will likely be a disaster if it goes longer than 2 minutes, the rest is just things you see on TV every week.

I'm bias because I'm going to be at Wrestlemania.

Triple vs Seth, Roman vs Taker, Styles vs Shane isn't stuff you see on TV every week. May not be your favourite matchups but...

9 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Triple vs Seth, Roman vs Taker, Styles vs Shane isn't stuff you see on TV every week. May not be your favourite matchups but...

Ex-wrestler authority figure vs. Semi-injured wrestler
Guy nobody wants as a top guy yet he keeps getting the chosen-one push vs. Beloved legend who wrestles once a year, can't really go anymore and deserves a good farewell match
Legitimately one of the top 3 guys on the roster vs. Non-wrestler authority figure famous for taking 1 big bump a year

There's a reason you don't see these on tv every week.... 

• Like 1

Also, what do you guys think they'll do with Joe and Sami? Insert them into the KO-Jericho match? Or keep them separate? And even then, we've seen that match recently.

And the whole deal with Braun.... Having him back off? The guy who kept wanting a challenge? That was weird! No clue what they'll do with him at Mania either. Can't imagine them making Roman-Taker a triple threat... 

Edited by username

Roman goes full heel. "This yard is only big enough for one big dawg, dead man." Roman cheats to win at Mania. Taker goes out the right way, Roman is the biggest heel WWE has seen in years, good business is done.

AKA that will never happen lol

Rumor has it that Joe/Devitt is penciled in for Orlando. I'll take it. I like the way they Joe/KO/Hunter stable has come together. Throwing Finn into that mix will be really really fun. 

I'm seeing some rumors from people I trust (WrestleZone/1Wrestling's Big Ray) that the Hardys are in end-stage negotiations with the dastardly MeekMahan. Sounds like there's a pretty good chance that they have in fact only signed with Ring of Honor through Supercard, and WrestleMania may be deleted...

5 hours ago, username said:

Ex-wrestler authority figure vs. Semi-injured wrestler
Guy nobody wants as a top guy yet he keeps getting the chosen-one push vs. Beloved legend who wrestles once a year, can't really go anymore and deserves a good farewell match
Legitimately one of the top 3 guys on the roster vs. Non-wrestler authority figure famous for taking 1 big bump a year

There's a reason you don't see these on tv every week.... 

People always whine during Mania season. 

15 minutes ago, axlslash said:

I'm seeing some rumors from people I trust (WrestleZone/1Wrestling's Big Ray) that the Hardys are in end-stage negotiations with the dastardly MeekMahan. Sounds like there's a pretty good chance that they have in fact only signed with Ring of Honor through Supercard, and WrestleMania may be deleted...

Maybe they'll think up some Tag Team Turmoil/Gauntlet match and have the Hardy's be the final team to challenge? 

16 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

People always whine during Mania season. 

That's because Vinny mac never fails to give us something to whine about. ;) 

2 minutes ago, username said:

Very very true.

2 minutes ago, username said:

Maybe they'll think up some Tag Team Turmoil/Gauntlet match and have the Hardy's be the final team to challenge? 

It would be cool if American Alpha did an open challenge

11 minutes ago, username said:

Best fantasy booking proposal I've seen: New Day is in the ring doing their ice cream schtick, talking about how they don't have a match because they're too good for it etc. Vanguard 1 flies into the ring, lights go out, the piano theme comes on, and the Broken Brothers rise Brood-like from the ramp and attack. 

6 hours ago, axlslash said:

WrestleZone

Wrestlezone is trash. Nonscene half the time with stuff took from other sites.

They reported a few months ago that WWE bought TNA and stuck with it. They often post random stories then attribute it to the Observer and say things like "Metzler reported", when he said no such thing.

If Metzler said something like he doesn't know who Reigns faces after Mania, 5 days later WrestleZone would post a story saying Dave Metzler says on latest WOR Roman Reigns about to released from contract. 

5 hours ago, username said:

Remember the early 2000's when people didn't dread Wrestlemania?

Living up to the color of its brand, Smackdown left me with a wee bit of the blue balls. I spent the entirety of Orton vs AJ (which was great) salivating over the Phenomenal Forearm / RKO spot that I assumed would end the match, and then they teased it but never gave it to us. I'm so pissed. That would have been an unreal high spot. 

Also, I couldn't watch AJ take a draping DDT after what happened to Honma this weekend... that's a move that maybe should go on the prohibited list with the piledriver and burning hammer.

43 minutes ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Except for Wrestlemania 2000 which had one good match lol

It had a pretty good triple threat featuring Jericho/Benoit/Angle, a famous triple threat ladder match (first proper TLC one) and a main event that although not the one everyone wanted (and there was still the McMahon family) was far from on the lower end of main events.

Also I used the word dread, that was probably my favorite year watching it 2000. You still had the geeks, but there were more stars on that show every week than now. People's personalities shown through, Russo wasn't there... and any idea of a brand split was unfathomable. RAW was fun to watch every week.

PPVs in 2000 were can't miss. Even the filler PPVs were exciting. 

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Except for Wrestlemania 2000 which had one good match lol

Kinda went downhill after Austin retired, but I remember 17 & 18 being pretty good. Also fans were a lot more compliant and just took whatever they were given back then.

Edited by moreblack

1 hour ago, AtariLegend said:

It had a pretty good triple threat featuring Jericho/Benoit/Angle, a famous triple threat ladder match (first proper TLC one) and a main event that although not the one everyone wanted (and there was still the McMahon family) was far from on the lower end of main events.

Also I used the word dread, that was probably my favorite year watching it 2000. You still had the geeks, but there were more stars on that show every week than now. People's personalities shown through, Russo wasn't there... and any idea of a brand split was unfathomable. RAW was fun to watch every week.

PPVs in 2000 were can't miss. Even the filler PPVs were exciting. 

Personally the only good match at that Mania was the TLC.

But yes all of 2000 really is a great year for the WWF.

38 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Kinda went downhill after Austin retired, but I remember 17 & 18 being pretty good. Also fans were a lot more compliant and just took whatever they were given back then.

Very true, fans seemed to just enjoy it more.