Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Yeah there were some bad calls but I don't think it really effected the outcome of the game thankfully. I know that's easy for me to say, rooting for the Mets and all but when it comes to how the game is being called, I do look at it pretty objectively I believe.

I'll disagree with your assertion that it doesn't affect the game, at least the Jays - Texas game. Stroman threw a cutter that, in my opinion and according to the pitch tracker, caught the plate and should have been called the third strike on DeShields to lead off the 8th. Instead it was called a ball and DeShields was given first base. Cecil gets the next two batters out, but DeShields moves to third, and Napoli hits a clutch single to tie the game. Considering how Osuna pitched the 9th, the game should have been over with the Jays evening up the series.

I didn't say it doesn't, I said it didn't affect the game, in that instance.

Unlike yesterday's Mets game, which either umpiring or Major League Baseball in general -- I don't know with whom my anger lies -- completely fucked up beyond all recognition. I am so furious (insofar as one can be with a baseball game). Look, I have little trouble with what Chase Utley did, although he should have at least feigned reaching for second base, but the complete and utter bullshit call that he was safe at second just makes me so mad and completely changed the course of the game. It is completely reasonable to think that maybe the Dodgers would have won the game anyway, but there is no way to ever tell. That inning should have ended with the game tied. None of that subsequent scoring would have happened, had Baseball not made up some bullshit as they went along. I don't care about the crap explanation they gave. You can't call a runner safe who never touched a base! I accept that Tejada also didn't touch the base. But in that situation, you have to go with the ruling on the field. Otherwise it is the officiators affecting the outcome of the game, which happened.

And on top of all that we lose our best shortstop (though I do love Wilmer) with a fractured tibula or something. Fuck!

Me in the bottom of the seventh.

inside_out_anger.jpeg?itok=G3E11y-g

But the umpire called him out. That's why he didn't go touch the bag.

He never had any intention of touching the bag. It was a take-out slide. And exactly, the umpire called him OUT. There should have been no call whatsoever on replay because neither player touched the bag. Therefore, nothing has happened yet! You have to go with the on-field call.

Yeah there were some bad calls but I don't think it really effected the outcome of the game thankfully. I know that's easy for me to say, rooting for the Mets and all but when it comes to how the game is being called, I do look at it pretty objectively I believe.

I'll disagree with your assertion that it doesn't affect the game, at least the Jays - Texas game. Stroman threw a cutter that, in my opinion and according to the pitch tracker, caught the plate and should have been called the third strike on DeShields to lead off the 8th. Instead it was called a ball and DeShields was given first base. Cecil gets the next two batters out, but DeShields moves to third, and Napoli hits a clutch single to tie the game. Considering how Osuna pitched the 9th, the game should have been over with the Jays evening up the series.

I didn't say it doesn't, I said it didn't affect the game, in that instance.

Unlike yesterday's Mets game, which either umpiring or Major League Baseball in general -- I don't know with whom my anger lies -- completely fucked up beyond all recognition. I am so furious (insofar as one can be with a baseball game). Look, I have little trouble with what Chase Utley did, although he should have at least feigned reaching for second base, but the complete and utter bullshit call that he was safe at second just makes me so mad and completely changed the course of the game. It is completely reasonable to think that maybe the Dodgers would have won the game anyway, but there is no way to ever tell. That inning should have ended with the game tied. None of that subsequent scoring would have happened, had Baseball not made up some bullshit as they went along. I don't care about the crap explanation they gave. You can't call a runner safe who never touched a base! I accept that Tejada also didn't touch the base. But in that situation, you have to go with the ruling on the field. Otherwise it is the officiators affecting the outcome of the game, which happened.

And on top of all that we lose our best shortstop (though I do love Wilmer) with a fractured tibula or something. Fuck!

Me in the bottom of the seventh.

inside_out_anger.jpeg?itok=G3E11y-g

But the umpire called him out. That's why he didn't go touch the bag.

He never had any intention of touching the bag. It was a take-out slide. And exactly, the umpire called him OUT. There should have been no call whatsoever on replay because neither player touched the bag. Therefore, nothing has happened yet! You have to go with the on-field call.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

The umpire called him out. So he didn't go stand on the bag.

Mattingly appealed the play. The short stop never tagged the bag, so the replay official reversed the call.

All seems perfectly legit.

I also agree with Mattingly on what the New York media and Mets fanbase would be saying if the situation was reversed. They would be glorifying David Wright for being a hard nosed gritty player who played the game to win.

Like somebody said, if Ty Cobb got beaned he would bunt down the first base line the next time up.....just so he could take out the pitcher.

If the guys leg wasn't broke on the play then nobody would even be talking about the slide.

• Like 1

I said in my post that I didn't have a real problem with the slide. I watched it again and I do think the slide was illegal now (Utley never would have gotten himself knee'd in the face if his slide had been proper -- he hit Tejada before he hit ground) but that wasn't even my problem at first reaction. My problem is that you cannot call someone safe who has not touched a base.

Everyone knows that Utley was out for three different reasons and the entire handling of this play was botched, and therefore the entire game was. The Mets got unfairly crapped on from every conceivable angle during this (including suspending Utley... it's only going to give the Dodgers something to rally behind).

It's just kind of funny how a few posts back, commenting on game 1, you had a big problem with the umpiring of balls and strikes that likely had little effect on the game, but you have no problem with this major snafu. Actually, the when you compare the number of incorrect ball/strike calls from game 1 that favored the Dodgers vs. favored the Mets, it turns out the Mets were at the disadvantage.

I have no problem with anyone beating the Mets who outplayed the Mets. What I do have a problem with is the officials determining the outcome and not the players. If you want your cheap "win," take it. I'll be happier to watch the Dodgers lose against a team made to effectively win 4 out of 5, who were coming into the series as the underdog anyway, and who lost their starting shortstop.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Toronto heads back to the Rodgers Centre having stolen big mo' from the Rangers. My money is on the Jays to pull the series out, but they have certainly been exposed as vulnerable.

The Royals/Stros series, in my mind, can really go either way at this point. Those teams are just so evenly matched. Slight advantage to KC for being the home.

Dodgers/Mets will be a blast tonight. And Cubs Cards could absolutely still go either way. What a monster of a game last night - no one thought Arrieta-Wacha would end 8-6. This afternoon will be fun to watch.

Toronto heads back to the Rodgers Centre having stolen big mo' from the Rangers. My money is on the Jays to pull the series out, but they have certainly been exposed as vulnerable.

The Royals/Stros series, in my mind, can really go either way at this point. Those teams are just so evenly matched. Slight advantage to KC for being the home.

Dodgers/Mets will be a blast tonight. And Cubs Cards could absolutely still go either way. What a monster of a game last night - no one thought Arrieta-Wacha would end 8-6. This afternoon will be fun to watch.

Yeah, all four series have lived up to the hype. I'm cheering for the Dodgers and Cardinals tonight just so that both series go to a game 5.

Glad Utley got 2 games. Absolutely atrocious slide; dirty as hell. Fine with contact; fine with making an effort to break up a play, but to go so far out of the base path and then to start the slide at the player - that's far beyond what should be acceptable in the sport of baseball. Napoli did the same thing to Goins in game two of the Jays-Rangers (not long after being a punk getting picked off and taking out Cecil by dropping to the ground to avoid the tag). I'd love to see the Jays up by 10 runs in the 8th and Sanchez smoking Napoli in the rib cage for the bullshit he's pulled in this series.

I have no clue who will win in the AL series. I'd like say Houston since Cueto shows no signs of being the pitcher KC needs him to be. As for the Jays-Rangers game, no clue. Jays have the momentum but they're going up against Hamels. Jays batters will have to show a lot of patience and get some deep counts to have a chance. Stroman has been lights out as well, so it's just going to come down to who gets the clutch hits. You'd think a home team would win one game in this series eventually.

Yeah, all four series have lived up to the hype. I'm cheering for the Dodgers and Cardinals tonight just so that both series go to a game 5.

Glad Utley got 2 games. Absolutely atrocious slide; dirty as hell. Fine with contact; fine with making an effort to break up a play, but to go so far out of the base path and then to start the slide at the player - that's far beyond what should be acceptable in the sport of baseball. Napoli did the same thing to Goins in game two of the Jays-Rangers (not long after being a punk getting picked off and taking out Cecil by dropping to the ground to avoid the tag). I'd love to see the Jays up by 10 runs in the 8th and Sanchez smoking Napoli in the rib cage for the bullshit he's pulled in this series.

I have no clue who will win in the AL series. I'd like say Houston since Cueto shows no signs of being the pitcher KC needs him to be. As for the Jays-Rangers game, no clue. Jays have the momentum but they're going up against Hamels. Jays batters will have to show a lot of patience and get some deep counts to have a chance. Stroman has been lights out as well, so it's just going to come down to who gets the clutch hits. You'd think a home team would win one game in this series eventually.

Love Game 5s though I do, I don't want the Cubs going back to St. Louis. They have the momentum now after stealing the second StL home game and then winning despite Arrieta's worst start of the season, and I feel like a Cards win today will just be too demoralizing. A win at home is our best (if not only) chance to get to the NLCS, so 5th game be damned, let's end it now.

Also, I'll be in the building again today, so I wouldn't mind getting to partake in a bit of a celebration :D

And yeah I'm surprised the Mets didn't retaliate more last night. I understand not wanting to risk Harvey getting suspended or escalating things, but someone has to get plunked at some point before that series is over. Yeah, winning is retaliation, living well is the best revenge, all that bullshit. Someone needs to get hit, speaking as a former pitcher. Hopefully the Mets can go up big early today and send some sacrificial lamb out of the bullpen late in the game to send the message.

Edited by axlslash

Cardinals need to put Tony Cruz in at catcher. Yadier Molina is hurt. God bless him for trying to play but he can't grip the bat and hit. Cruz has been his backup for 3 years and was hitting the ball very well down the stretch. Gotta get him in the lineup. Wind blowing out again today in Chicago. Lackey on 3 days rest, should be interesting. Cards gotta hit or its over.

Cardinals need to put Tony Cruz in at catcher. Yadier Molina is hurt. God bless him for trying to play but he can't grip the bat and hit. Cruz has been his backup for 3 years and was hitting the ball very well down the stretch. Gotta get him in the lineup. Wind blowing out again today in Chicago. Lackey on 3 days rest, should be interesting. Cards gotta hit or its over.

Big injuries on both sides of the ball, the Cubs have their lineup submitted and Addison Russell is out and Javy Baez (committed the error in the 9th last night that could have ended the game 8-4) is in at short for the Cubs. No word on a Cards lineup yet, will be interesting to see if Yadi sits.

UPDATE: Both lineups now posted. Yadi is in.

3B Matt Carpenter

1B Stephen Piscotty

LF Matt Holliday

RF Jason Heyward

SS Jhonny Peralta

CF Randal Grichuk

2B Kolten Wong

C Yadier Molina

SP John Lackey

CF Dexter Fowler

RF Jorge Soler

3B Kris Bryant

1B Anthony Rizzo

2B Starlin Castro

LF Kyle Schwarber

C Miguel Montero

SP Jason Hammel

SS Javier Baez

Edited by axlslash

Love Game 5s though I do, I don't want the Cubs going back to St. Louis. They have the momentum now after stealing the second StL home game and then winning despite Arrieta's worst start of the season, and I feel like a Cards win today will just be too demoralizing. A win at home is our best (if not only) chance to get to the NLCS, so 5th game be damned, let's end it now.

Also, I'll be in the building again today, so I wouldn't mind getting to partake in a bit of a celebration :D

And yeah I'm surprised the Mets didn't retaliate more last night. I understand not wanting to risk Harvey getting suspended or escalating things, but someone has to get plunked at some point before that series is over. Yeah, winning is retaliation, living well is the best revenge, all that bullshit. Someone needs to get hit, speaking as a former pitcher. Hopefully the Mets can go up big early today and send some sacrificial lamb out of the bullpen late in the game to send the message.

Yeah, I don't mind if the Cubs get in today. It's always preferable that if and when a team wins, they do it in font of the home crowd. Plus, I've had enough of the Cardinals in the playoffs. Like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Giants, it's been great seeing new blood in the post season.

So best of luck tonight and have a great time. I'm sure the streets around Wrigley are going to be going nuts if the Cubs win tonight.

Last night was one of the coolest fucking experiences I've ever had. I know it's just the division round, but it was pretty comparable to being in the building to see the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in June (I've had a fuckin' hell of a year in sports...). I don't think I have ever seen a crowd explode like it did for that Baez dinger in the second. That guy has been through hell this season (assigned to AA out of spring training, sister died in the first month of the year, he got hurt immediately when he came back off bereavement), and he came out of the duggout for a curtain call like a goddamn jumping bean while the crowd chanted his name. Seeing Bryant break his slump Monday night was awesome, but seeing that hit - not for the baseball significance, but as a real human moment - was just amazing.

Jorge Soler is on track to be playoff MVP. He's 4/7 with two homers, plus SIX WALKS in the playoffs so far. On top of which, this fucking play:

Rizzo and Schwarber are the dynamic duo of monster home runs. After Schwarber hit a ball most of the way to New York City, they played "whoop there it is" over the PA, and the place lost its mind singing along, jumping, just sort of beginning to accept that, up 6-4 with two innings to go, this was probably happening. Hector Rondon has grown so much as a closer, and his stuff is absolutely filthy. I am still in shock and can't quite believe I was there, that this happened, that next week I get to watch the Cubs vie for a pennant for the second time in my life. I don't fucking care who wins tomorrow, I just can't wait for the NLCS to start.

• Like 1

Congratulations to the Cubs. After this elimination hangover subsides(I'm a Cardinal fan), I'll be rooting for the Cubs. They are a lot of fun to watch.

The looseness of the team is really amazing to see. Castro's walkup music is this infectious latin pop song that sounds like a sped-up version of Thrift Shop with a really heavy beat on it. Whenever he comes up, the whole stadium starts clapping and dancing along - including the Cubs in the dugout and bullpen, which is what the jumbotron focuses on. No matter how tense the situation is, those kids can still relax and have fun. Hell, yesterday late in the game, when the Cubs took Rodney out in a fairly suspenseful situation, Bryant, Baez, Castro, and Rizzo spent the entire pitching change laughing together in the middle of the infield. They're scrappy, resilient, and play the game with the perfect combination of gritty business and child-like attitudes that make the game so goddamn great. It's been a long time since I've said this, but I have a really good feeling about where this team is going.

Epic meltdown by the Rangers and great win for Toronto. Congrats Downzy the Jays live to fight another day.

And your brother said the Jays were overrated and limited offensively!

They are limited offensively. If the Rangers' SS fields a ball or two instead of playing soccer with them in the 7th, Toronto is going home while the rangers take the booze shower in the clubhouse. The errors put the Jays in a position to steal a game away that should have been over. It was amazing, and after those errors Toronto absolutely deserved the win, but let's not give the Jays' offense all of the credit for the Rangers shitting all over their bed.

And that bat flip.... Dear god. Bautista is not a professional baseball player. He's a professional pimper of home runs.

• Like 1

Holy fuck that Blue Jays vs Rangers game was incredible! Bautista's home run is without a doubt the 2nd biggest home run in franchise history and there is NO debate. NONE< ZERO on who Canada's team is. It's not the Maple Leafs or Habs or Raptors or even the World Junior's Team Canada. It's undeniably the Blue Jays. I haven't seen my social media feeds blow up like that since Crosby score din overtime to win hockey gold at the 2010 Winter Olympics. I have never seen a bar packed like that for anything other than hockey and for it to be packed at 1pm on a Wednesday. Unreal.

I'm biased but unless you're a cheering for the Cubs or have a vested interest in one of the teams left how do you not root for the Blue Jays?

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

Holy fuck that Blue Jays vs Rangers game was incredible! Bautista's home run is without a doubt the 2nd biggest home run in franchise history and there is NO debate. NONE< ZERO on who Canada's team is. It's not the Maple Leafs or Habs or Raptors or even the World Junior's Team Canada. It's undeniably the Blue Jays. I haven't seen my social media feeds blow up like that since Crosby score din overtime to win hockey gold at the 2010 Winter Olympics. I have never seen a bar packed like that for anything other than hockey and for it to be packed at 1pm on a Wednesday. Unreal.

I'm biased but unless you're a cheering for the Cubs or have a vested interest in one of the teams left how do you not root for the Blue Jays?

The Jays have some mojo workin', but if anyone is the team of destiny this time around, it's the scrappy youngsters playing for the team that haven't won a pennant in 70 years or a title in 108. Plus they're my time, so I'm SUPER biased :P

Epic meltdown by the Rangers and great win for Toronto. Congrats Downzy the Jays live to fight another day.

And your brother said the Jays were overrated and limited offensively!

They are limited offensively. If the Rangers' SS fields a ball or two instead of playing soccer with them in the 7th, Toronto is going home while the rangers take the booze shower in the clubhouse. The errors put the Jays in a position to steal a game away that should have been over. It was amazing, and after those errors Toronto absolutely deserved the win, but let's not give the Jays' offense all of the credit for the Rangers shitting all over their bed.

And that bat flip.... Dear god. Bautista is not a professional baseball player. He's a professional pimper of home runs.

The Blue Jays were the number one rated offense of all the playoff teams.

No team is perfect. But if we are gonna label the top ranked offensive team as being "limited".....then what do we call the other teams that are below them?

100 percent agreed.

After Carter's home run in '93, Bautista's is the biggest in franchise history. I thought EE's reaction to his home run was priceless - I could watch Bautista's over and over again. You can imagine home saying "fuck you" in his head when he scorched that ball.

The 7th inning was probably the craziest inning of baseball I've seen since the Yankees - Rays 8th back in 2011. It was a 53 minute inning. From the dejection of Martin hitting Choo's bat that allowed a run to Bautista's monster, the range of emotions was nuts. It will likely be years before I watch another inning of baseball like that.

As a Toronto sports fan, it's been decades since we've had a moment like that. Pure bliss :D

• Like 1

100 percent agreed.

After Carter's home run in '93, Bautista's is the biggest in franchise history. I thought EE's reaction to his home run was priceless - I could watch Bautista's over and over again. You can imagine home saying "fuck you" in his head when he scorched that ball.

The 7th inning was probably the craziest inning of baseball I've seen since the Yankees - Rays 8th back in 2011. It was a 53 minute inning. From the dejection of Martin hitting Choo's bat that allowed a run to Bautista's monster, the range of emotions was nuts. It will likely be years before I watch another inning of baseball like that.

As a Toronto sports fan, it's been decades since we've had a moment like that. Pure bliss :D

Bautista's reaction for me is one of the greatest maybe the greatest reaction of all time in sports. It's gonna be ingrained in the Canadian psychy forever if the Jays win th World Series. THAT will be the defining moment

What I don't get is this. The call to allow the run would have been correct BUT how on earth do they allow that run to count AFTER the Umpire had called the play dead. It was such an asinine decision. Had he not called the play dead obviously the play wold be legit but the second he called that play dead the run should never have counted. And they wonder why fans scream conspiracy and fix and all that shit.

I've always been a Blue Jays fan and what I realized today is Canada has been dying for them to be good again. It's one thing to support a team for 5-10 or 15 years of rebulidng or struggling but the Jays have been truly awful since 1993 so people's interest wanes when there isn't anything positive to cheer for. Finally there's something to cheer for. I admire fan bases, not individual fans cause I get that but when a fanbase as a whole can stick behind their teams and sell out like say the Cubs fans after a century of not winning that's dedication. The Jays have just been horrible though. They ahd the longest streak without making the playoffs of any pro north American sports team.

From a marketing stand point and a ratings standpoint I'm sure MLB dreads having the Jays be where they are but it's absolutely great for Canada.

• Like 1

This is exactly what I said. More than anything the Rangers gave that game away. They basically had 6 outs in that 7th inning. They absolutely botched 3 of them.

It's gonna be Blue Jays vs Royals. 3 run shot for the Royals just now.