Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Hitting up opening night at Wrigley Field tonight, and I am so excited! Last game I went to, the Cubs eliminated the Cardinals from the playoffs and the atmosphere was nuts. Short of the playoffs, I think it's hard to top the atmosphere I expect tonight. Last year was a surprise, but this is the first opener in a long, long time that Cubs fans have actually been able to feel good about. Arrieta and Bryant get to show off their hardware, a ceremonial first pitch from Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, and Ryno, and the two best records in baseball so far squaring off. On top of which, it's my first time seeing Lester in person. I'd prefer Arrieta, but I saw him twice last year, and I shan't be picky :P

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

Hitting up opening night at Wrigley Field tonight, and I am so excited! Last game I went to, the Cubs eliminated the Cardinals from the playoffs and the atmosphere was nuts. Short of the playoffs, I think it's hard to top the atmosphere I expect tonight. Last year was a surprise, but this is the first opener in a long, long time that Cubs fans have actually been able to feel good about. Arrieta and Bryant get to show off their hardware, a ceremonial first pitch from Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, and Ryno, and the two best records in baseball so far squaring off. On top of which, it's my first time seeing Lester in person. I'd prefer Arrieta, but I saw him twice last year, and I shan't be picky :P

Nothing better than attending an opening day game IMHO. When I used to live in Connecticut I used to faithfully go to the Yankees opening day games. Froze my ass off more often then not but still had a great time. 

Saw a game at Wrigley about 10 years ago and it is a fantastic place to watch baseball......plus the hotdogs "dragged thought the garden" were worth the trip........

Just one correction though,  the Orioles are still undefeated so the Cubbies and Reds do not have the best records in baseball............ :P

Edited by classicrawker

6 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Nothing better than attending an opening day game IMHO. When I used to live in Connecticut I used to faithfully go to the Yankees opening day games. Froze my ass off more often then not but still had a great time. 

Saw a game at Wrigley about 10 years ago and it is a fantastic place to watch baseball......plus the hotdogs "dragged thought the garden" were worth the trip........

Just one correction though,  the Orioles are still undefeated so the Cubbies and Reds do not have the best records in baseball............ :P

Let's see what the O's do in #6, though. Point well taken in any event. And if the Cubs get to 6-1 before the O's can win #6, then on the NHL system the Cubs are better, so that's what I get for watching other sports :lol:

What a dynamite opener for the Cubs, and a wacky emotional roller coaster at that. Schwarber got s nice video package and intro after the starting lineup, with a huge ovation. Finnegan no-hit us into the 7th inning, and we first seized the lead in the bottom of the 8th. Addy Russell is a beast, muscling a ball way out into the bleachers on a cold night. A resilient offense that wouldn't say die. Hector Rondon striking out the side, all called, to close it out. Just a stellar game to experience live. Go Cubs, go!

Interesting article about Pablo Sandoval's weight issue....Back in 2011 when he was playing for the Giants he went back home to Venezuela at Christmas and gained 21 pounds in 21 days!.........sounds like the Sox are stuck with a bad contract as this guy can't control his eating..........

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15207437/pablo-sandoval-boston-red-sox-needs-hand-holder-former-trainer-says

So glad I watched the Mets game tonight (even though I watch it almost every night). The Mets obliterated the Giants in the 3rd inning, posting a franchise record 12 runs in a single inning, capped with a Grand Slam by Cespedes, the second Mets grand slam of the year (the other I witnessed a week ago at Turner Field... very cool). It was just an unbelievable inning and a lot of fun to watch. I'm still not used to seeing good things happen when watching Mets baseball. I better enjoy it while it lasts. 

So who of the early standouts are for real? 

To me the Red Sox can be if Porcello keeps it up. He's pitching much better. Plus Carson Smith is back. 

The Rockies are pretenders. I can't say I believe in the White Sox or the Mariners either. Cubs Mets and Nats obviously the class of the NL . Not sleeping on the Giants though  

Most likely to bounce back? I say Astros. 

The four-game "two best teams in the NL" has gone quite nicely so far - Cubs 3, Nats 0. Mostly competitive, but the Cubs stay on top. Gonna be a fun summer.

Also, all hail the mighty Bortolo. The oldest player in ML history to hit their first career HR.

• Like 1