Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Cardinals fans had an absolutely pathetic reaction to the Heyward signing. Dude played there one year

http://deadspin.com/bad-st-louis-cardinals-fans-assail-rent-a-player-for-l-1747618873

I know this happens across many fan bases but there is a particular arrogance and entitlement to cards fans, namely due to their "best fans in baseball" narrative.

Yeah, I don't think I came across one pissed off Jays fan when Price signed with Boston. We all knew he was a rental and the money he was going to command was never going to align with Blue Jay ownership.

Never been to St. Louis, but Chicago is a hell of a town to play baseball.

Jersey burning is idiotic. You love this person enough to pay 200 bucks for a shirt with the dude's name on it, but he changes shirts and you set your 200 dollar shirt on fire? Grow the fuck up.

They're actually $300 now in most cases. Which is why I don't have one and won't. And they're not even comfortable. A simple Mets t-shirt does it for me.

I never bought a sports jersey but was never really opposed to them until I saw the movie Trainwreck this past summer.

I kind of agree with Amy Schumer's viewpoint that when you have another dude's name on your back, it kind of looks like you belong to him; like your his property. I know most would disagree, but now I can't help but think that whenever I see someone wear a jersey with another dude's name on his back.

I see that a lot more with a corporate logo than a name, personally. Like I get it, but a shirt with the team's logo says "they own me" as much as anything - hell, "the team owns these people" is literally the reason uniforms exist!!!!

I'm not a huge jersey guy. I only get my absolute favorite players, and don't go out of my way to add. At this point, I have 3 Cubs jerseys (Sosa, Grace, and a Santo throwback that I got when he died) and one Hossa Blackhawks jersey, and prob not planning on getting anymore for a good long time. And I totally see how it's kinda weird.

Wait a second, you cheer for the Blackhawks and you got a Hossa jersey??? And here I thought you were a level-headed guy :P

I am - that's why I support the guy who abandoned that horrendous dumpsterfire of a city in Detroit and came to a real team!

• Like 1

At this point if you're gonna get a jersey at all, you should probably just go throwback. It's safer.

Especially depending on your teams. For example I'm a buffalo sports fan so I could only even consider jack Eichel or marcell dareus based on contract length. Not ideal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With Pitchers and catcher reporting in a month, time to start getting revved up for Baseball again.

Just saw this on ESPN and as much as I love the Yankees and the 1927 team that 1976 Reds lineup was killer.............

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/67749/the-best-lineups-of-all-time-big-red-machine-or-murderers-row

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

With Pitchers and catcher reporting in a month, time to start getting revved up for Baseball again.

Just saw this on ESPN and as much as I love the Yankees and the 1927 team that 1976 Reds lineup was killer.............

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/67749/the-best-lineups-of-all-time-big-red-machine-or-murderers-row

that 75/76 reds team was just loaded.

Edited by bran

• 2 weeks later...

NY Yankees Greg Bird to miss the 2016 season after Labrum shoulder surgery........Well that is a kick in the nuts as even though he most likely was going to start the season in AAA I have no doubt he would have played in the Majors this season with Texiera's injury history...........Loses a year of development as well

• 4 weeks later...

Behemoth 6'7" 270 lb Yankee rookie outfielder Aaron Judge spanked one opposite field....It is funny to see him standing next to his teammates as he is so big they look like little leaguers next to him

They are not ML ready but have to say I like what I am seeing from the Yankee minor leaguers.......I think they have some real talent working their way up the system and I am glad Hal Steinbrenner is biting the bullet and not paying big money for FA's this year and letting some of the big contracts finish. Some of these youngsters should be ready for the show in the next couple of years and we should have a young talented team.........

So is no one else getting excited for the start of baseball yet...let's here what you think about your teams.................

• Like 1

definitely excited for the new season. i just got back yesterday morning from colorado and still sick, time changes really fucking with me. today was the first time i have been able to watch some yankees baseball. aaron judge is really the one im interested in seeing develop, that guy has all the potential in the world. the homerun he hit yesterday, looked so effortless like he just flicked the bat and drove it to the opposite field and it went over the fence. also want to see how severino continues to develop.

• downzy changed the title to Major League Baseball Thread - 2016 Offseason
  • 2 weeks later...

The start of the new season is fast approaching and have to say I am liking what I am seeing from the Yankees. Other than Sabathia the starting pitching has been solid, the new player we got in trade Castro and Hicks look very strong.........If our starting pitching can stay healthy I think this team could surprise a lot of people..........the one conflict I can seeing coming is what to do with Sabathia. I know Sabathia claims he always sucks in the spring but Nova has looked very good and if his issues persist too long into the season Girardi will have a tough decision to make in who gets to  be the 5th starter...........

I'm going to the Mets/Yankees game at Steinbrenner Field on Tuesday evening in Tampa. I haven't been able to watch any Spring Training on TV this year, but I'll give as objective a comment as possible on those two teams as I can when I get back. That said, you all know I'm a Met lover and a Yankee hater, so take it with more than a few grains of salt. 

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I'm going to the Mets/Yankees game at Steinbrenner Field on Tuesday evening in Tampa. I haven't been able to watch any Spring Training on TV this year, but I'll give as objective a comment as possible on those two teams as I can when I get back. That said, you all know I'm a Met lover and a Yankee hater, so take it with more than a few grains of salt. 

Have fun DD!......I used to go down to Ft Lauderdale for a week every year, before I got married, when the Yanks trained there to go to Spring games.  Also used to drive up to West Palm Beach on the Yankee off days to watch the Braves.  Drove up to Port St. Lucie once to see the Yanks play the Mets but man that was a long drive and back in the 80's/ early 90's there was nothing in that town.

Tickets were cheap and easy to get and it was a nice break from the New England winters

Never been to Tampa since the Yanks moved there so I miss those weeks watching spring baseball....Great opportunity to see minor leagues you don't normally get to see play.

Look forward to your review...........

If he can stay healthy and keep his pitch count down I think the Yankees have found their ace of the future..............Severino has filthy stuff and has looked unhittable this spring and nothing seems to bother him.....I am getting excited for the season...............

Edited by classicrawker

• 2 weeks later...

Miller has chip fracture in his right wrist after being hit by line drive.  Lucky it was his right wrist so hopefully he won't miss much time.............

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/andrew-miller-leaves-game-hit-line-drive-article-1.2582930

Edit: Now it is reported Mitchell has a broken toe and will be out 3 months..He was having a gret spring and was supposed to replace Warren as the long relief/ spot starter swing man in the bullpen...No liking the trend here.........:(

Edited by classicrawker

Well, opening day is upon us! Here's hoping that this season will be a continued (and improved) success from last season...

Anyone else excited? I've been pumped for the last week, kind of obsessing over baseball again. I never did get the chance to post what I observed from the Mets/Yankees spring training game I attended, but the overall feeling was cautious optimism. The Mets had some really sloppy defense, especially from De Aza in Left Field (how hard is left field? Could have just been a bad day though). Duda blew opportunities like he usually does, and also made a really stupid baserunning error. But more recently he has looked better. I think he really needs some help from some sports psychologists. He certainly has the physical ability in spades but I think there is a mental confidence block going on most of the time that makes him so streaky. Granderson looked incredible. He was his usual fantastic self, and he had one great at-bat where the shift was on against him, and he laced a perfect hard-hit ground ball right down the 3rd base line that bounced all the way to the left field wall for a double, completely using the shift to his advantage. Cespedes had an awesome at-bat with 2 outs where he fought off many pitches (seemed like around 10) for foul balls before finally getting a well-placed bloop single to load the bases. Then Duda blew the opportunity, as previously stated, and flied out. 

I'm curious to see how this De Aza works out. That's what I'm most interested in for the beginning of the season. 

Time to blast "Centerfield" and cook up some dogs and crack a beer... baseball is here! Play ball!