Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

The Cubs spent their last 7 games playing the second place team in their division and the second place team in the NL. The result? 7-0 Cubs. That comes after taking 2/3 in St. Louis. Our win percentage is .800, while no one else has one at or above .700. The Cubs are on pace to absolutely shatter the record for run differential. 

It is finally Next Year, folks.

Bit of a back-to-earth week for the Cubs, going 3-3 against Pittsburgh and Sam Diego. Still a fine looking team, and playing better against good teams than bad teams, but a handful of disconcerting moments. I know we're still statistically the best team in baseball by a length, but I'm a Cubs fan, I always look for reasons to worry :P

If we go .500 for the rest of the season, we win 90. And we're going to be over .500. So all told, looks like it'll be a fun summer. 

The slide was aggressive but not dirty. Bats went right at the bag, and Odor was on the bag. You have the Utley Rule and the neighborhood rule. You can't complain that he slid into the base and hit you because *you* didn't take advantage of the neighborhood call. Grow up, man.

They're both douches.

But switching gears, it is really remarkable how competitive the National League is so far this year. There is a lot of parity in the NL, with the exceptions being Chicago and Atlanta, on completely opposite ends of the spectrum. Cincinnati is also pretty bad, but other than that, all the teams are decently close. I wonder what it will look like in another couple months. 

21 hours ago, downzy said:

8 games for Odor.  Of course he's appealing, but not sure how that's going to work out for him since he's stated publicly that he does not regret punching Bautista in the face.  What a douche.

And Bautista got a game for inappropriately putting his jaw in front of Odor's fist, too.

This is NHL levels of disciplinary incompetence by MLB...

3 hours ago, axlslash said:

And Bautista got a game for inappropriately putting his jaw in front of Odor's fist, too.

This is NHL levels of disciplinary incompetence by MLB...

Yeah, I get that Bautista is a hard guy to like if he's not on your team, but how does he get a game for essentially getting slugged?  I assume it was for the hard slide, but it wasn't as though it was an overtly blatant slide.  I suppose they considered the second game of the year against Tampa when Bautista reached out and grabbed the short-stop's leg to disrupt the double play.  But still, kind of ham-fisted punishment by the league.  

28 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I get that Bautista is a hard guy to like if he's not on your team, but how does he get a game for essentially getting slugged?  I assume it was for the hard slide, but it wasn't as though it was an overtly blatant slide.  I suppose they considered the second game of the year against Tampa when Bautista reached out and grabbed the short-stop's leg to disrupt the double play.  But still, kind of ham-fisted punishment by the league.  

The combo or the neighborhood rule and the Utley rule permit Odor to stand out of the basepath and still turn two, and penalize runners for sliding into him while he's outside the paths. He stood on 2nd by choice. Bautista slid hard, but straight over the base. Totally legal, nothing to suspend him for. And I'm not a Jays fan, either. 

1 minute ago, axlslash said:

The combo or the neighborhood rule and the Utley rule permit Odor to stand out of the basepath and still turn two, and penalize runners for sliding into him while he's outside the paths. He stood on 2nd by choice. Bautista slid hard, but straight over the base. Totally legal, nothing to suspend him for. And I'm not a Jays fan, either. 

Coupled with the fact that Odor wasn't even trying to throw to 1st to turn two.  Pretty obvious he was throwing at Bautista's head:

13230348_10153647671023379_2049442338164564510_n.jpg

8 hours ago, bran said:

this is the pre tj surgery ivan nova.

betances/miller/chapman is so good, now if only we had more pitching like nova.

Eovaldi has been pitching well the last few starts and Tanaka has been o.k. but let's face it we will be lucky to be  0.500 team this year IMHO...I can see them trading Miller and maybe Gardner before the deadline for prospects.............

• Like 1

Wilson Contreras went 4-5 with 2 homers (including a grand slam) today. He's batting .328 at AAA with 8 homers and 30 RBIs. We have absolutely no room for the kid on the big league roster. The Cubs are an absolute embarrassment of riches. 

He does this almost on a weekly basis:

053116_tor_pillar_catch_med_fkjqbsiz.gif

Nice to see some stability in the Jays bullpen for once.  

Texas looks like it's going to be the best team in the AL by next week.   Boston strikes me as a team due for a cold spell.

I only just now saw that the Rogers Center/SkyDome/whatever renovated their field with a full dirt infield and new AstroTurf. It kind of makes me sad because I liked watching games played there. It made me all nostalgic about those 70's cookie cutter ballparks (I know it wasn't one of them but it looked like one). Now it looks painfully ordinary. 

56 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I only just now saw that the Rogers Center/SkyDome/whatever renovated their field with a full dirt infield and new AstroTurf. It kind of makes me sad because I liked watching games played there. It made me all nostalgic about those 70's cookie cutter ballparks (I know it wasn't one of them but it looked like one). Now it looks painfully ordinary. 

There was some serious talk of replacing the astroturf with real grass but Rogers cheaped out and opted for real dirt instead.  

It's definitely not the astroturf of old.  I talked on it last year and it's really think, soft, and has a billion little pieces of black rubber (thought they might have changed it again this year).  

My wife was watching a '92/'93 highlight real DVD last night and it is pretty crazy to see how much the field (and to some extent, the entire stadium) has changed since the glory years.  It was the last multi-purpose ballpark to be built; out of date the moment they opened it.  I still like it though; I turn into my 8 year old self every time I'm there and they open or close the roof during a game.  

Bogarts is on a tear.  Good thing Boston has shit pitching otherwise they'd be running away with the division.  

Heard tonight that the Jays have been averaging just over 36k per game, which puts them third in the AL.  Only took one winning season to bring the fans back.  

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Bogarts is on a tear.  Good thing Boston has shit pitching otherwise they'd be running away with the division.  

Heard tonight that the Jays have been averaging just over 36k per game, which puts them third in the AL.  Only took one winning season to bring the fans back.  

...and now we'll see how many shit seasons it takes to lose them again :lol:

12 hours ago, downzy said:

There was some serious talk of replacing the astroturf with real grass but Rogers cheaped out and opted for real dirt instead.  

It's definitely not the astroturf of old.  I talked on it last year and it's really think, soft, and has a billion little pieces of black rubber (thought they might have changed it again this year).  

My wife was watching a '92/'93 highlight real DVD last night and it is pretty crazy to see how much the field (and to some extent, the entire stadium) has changed since the glory years.  It was the last multi-purpose ballpark to be built; out of date the moment they opened it.  I still like it though; I turn into my 8 year old self every time I'm there and they open or close the roof during a game.  

It's kind of silly, but some of my favorite parks now are the shitty ones like the Trop,  Rogers, and Oakland Coliseum precisely because they are outdated and scream of the ugly old years. In that sense they are actually quite a bit more interesting than all of these parks that are meant to be Fenway-esque in "with all the conveniences and amenities that the modern fan expects."