Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

• 2 weeks later...

The Cubbies look like the class of Baseball but could use some backend bullpen help...so what will they give the Yankes for Miller and/or Chapman? Some baseball writer proposed the Cubbies trading for both.............

I still think the team is a 0.500 team at best and my only fear is the Yankees will do just good enough that Cashman will not be allowed to pull the trigger and trade them off for some young talent......Same with Beltran, I hope they trade him while he is hot and has max value

• 1 month later...

Bump!

Texas looks like it's the clear cut winners at the trade deadline.  Nobody seems to want to pick up the mantle in the AL East (my bet is that Toronto, Baltimore, and Boston all make the post-season, just not sure who's going to win the division).  

What the hell is going on with Harper?  Started the season like the MVP that he is but has been shit since the allstar break (if not a little bit before then).

Nice to see the Cubs come back to earth a little bit.  Division was ridiculous prior to June.  

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Bump!

Texas looks like it's the clear cut winners at the trade deadline.  Nobody seems to want to pick up the mantle in the AL East (my bet is that Toronto, Baltimore, and Boston all make the post-season, just not sure who's going to win the division).  

What the hell is going on with Harper?  Started the season like the MVP that he is but has been shit since the allstar break (if not a little bit before then).

Nice to see the Cubs come back to earth a little bit.  Division was ridiculous prior to June.  

Rangers are the short term winners, but long term it's the Yanks. From a farm system in shambles to class of the league. Not a bad leap for them. 

Cubs are looking good again. Came back to earth before the break, but back alive now. Haven't lost a series since the ASB, 7 in a row, rotation back to form, Hendricks on fire, the wife beater shutting down the 9th inning. Gonna be a fun October in Wrogleyville, I can tell you that.

• Like 1

Have to say I love what the Yankees did with all their trades. We were actually a middle of the pack farm system, and not in shambles,  but now are in the top 5 with all the added talent and we will also receive 2- A league prospects from the Pirates for the Nova trade. The Pirates gave the Yanks a list of 4 players to choose from and gave them extra time to scout those players with a choice of any 2. Not a bad deal for a pitcher going nowhere and who was going to be a FA at the end of the season. Nova has the talent but never could put it together with the Yankees so maybe the Pirates can get him straight and if they do will have a quality end of the rotation starter.

They also still might trade McCann as the Braves are rumoured to want him and also Gardner could be traded at some point if both pass through waivers. More likely McCann then Gardner would make it through waivers due to his contract but Gardner could go this offseason.

As a bonus ARod saw the handwriting on the wall and struck  deal to "retire" which opens up a roster space for someone like OF/1B/3B prospect Tyler Austin who is hitting well at AAA Scranton.

I give Hal Steinbrenner credit for finally facing the reality that he needed to bite the bullet and start the rebuild process as they are going to be struggling the next couple of year and also to Cashman as he made some good trades and got maximum value for the players he traded.

They have some talent at AAA Scranton in OF'er's Judge, Austin, Frazier and pitchers Green, Cessa, Montgomery and more on the way at AA Trenton in Mckinney, and pitcher Chance Adams who along with Severino, Sanchez and Bird could add some quality youth ready for prime time in the next couple of years. Also with all the big contracts coming off the books just in time for the talented 2018 FA class which will include Harper, Machado and Fernandez we could be contenders again in a couple of years.

I like our future moving forward..............

Edited by classicrawker

12 hours ago, axlslash said:

Rangers are the short term winners, but long term it's the Yanks. From a farm system in shambles to class of the league. Not a bad leap for them. 

Cubs are looking good again. Came back to earth before the break, but back alive now. Haven't lost a series since the ASB, 7 in a row, rotation back to form, Hendricks on fire, the wife beater shutting down the 9th inning. Gonna be a fun October in Wrogleyville, I can tell you that.

I hadn't checked the standings in five or six days; didn't realize the Cubs have been on a tear lately.  

I guess the Jays and Orioles should enjoy being on top this year because the Red Sox and Yankees look like they'll dominate in a couple of years from now.  

On 8/9/2016 at 0:28 AM, downzy said:

I hadn't checked the standings in five or six days; didn't realize the Cubs have been on a tear lately.  

I guess the Jays and Orioles should enjoy being on top this year because the Red Sox and Yankees look like they'll dominate in a couple of years from now.  

As a Yankee fan I hope you are correct and some of the highly touted prospects they traded for and are in their system develop but I am taking a wait and see attitude.........I love that the Yankees are finally going into rebuild mode but they are not called prospects for nothing.......................

J.A. Happ of the Toronto Blue Jays now has the most wins and arguably the best record in the MLB (Strasburg is currently 15-2; Happ is 16-3).  Definitely a better bargain than what Boston received with Price ($12 million vs. $32 million).

• Like 1

I remember when Price was signed  the sports commentators were praising them that he was the missing Ace they needed and made them favorites......I always argued that he may be an ace during the regular season but he was not an October ace which is where it counts and thought the Sox overpaid and would come to regret that contract.

Maybe like Porcello he just needs a year to adjust to Boston, as it is a tough place to play, but if he does not turn it around he could be a real albatross contract for the Sox.

I am of the opinion that if I was an owner I would never pay big money long term contracts for a  pitcher  as there is too much risk of injury or of them losing their stuff and  they rarely seem to pay off in the end.

I really hope the Yankees just try to collect and draft young pitchers and develop their own in house talent instead of giving someone like the  Marlins  Fernandez a 30 milll long term deal when he goes FA in 2018.

• Like 1

Jays are the first team since the 1960s Cleveland Indians (and only the sixth team in history) to win five consecutive road series in New York against the Yankees.  Not bad, considering prior to that they were absolutely owned and dominated by the Yankees (i think they lost something ridiculous like 20 straight).

17th win for Happ, first in the majors to reach 17.  If he keeps it up for another four or five starts he's got to be considered the front-runner for this year's AL Cy Young award.  

Good series for the Jays.  NY looks like it's got a lot of promise a year or two from now.  Sanchez and Judge look like future all-stars.  

Well the Yankees are spinning their wheels and most likely won't make the playoffs but it is a fun team to watch again with all the young players being given a chance. Judge and Austin have cooled down but catcher Gary Sanchez is ripping it up so far and if he can stay healthy he could be the next great Yankees catcher.

He set a Yankee record for the most dingers, with 8,  in his first 19 games after he crushed 2 more last night....here is a video of his blasts last night with play by play by my favorite  Yankees Announcer John Sterling.........

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/08/gary_sanchez_making_yankees_home_run_history.html#incart_river_index

Sterling is cheesy at best but as a Yankee fan home boy I love listening to him...........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Snake-Pit said:

I'm confused with MLB, what's the difference between AL and NL?

they were two different leagues at one point. the NL(national league) was the original, after some years the AL(american league) formed. the two leagues after some dispute agreed to have their champions play each other every year in the world series. the two leagues then became equal partners in the MLB(major league baseball)

the only big difference is in the AL they have a designated hitter who hits instead of the pitcher, and in the NL the pitcher hits. this leads to some style differences in how AL and NL teams play. the AL team will be more about hitting homeruns to score a bulk of their runs since they have the DH, who tends to be a big time power hitter who can't play defense for shit. the NL will be more based around pitching, and since pitchers usually can't hit for shit, they usually try to get runs anyway they can, usually by stealing bases, moving runners using the bunt, trying to steal bases, and hit and runs are quite popular(hit and runs are when someones on base, and they take off running as the pitcher starts his throw home, the hitter will then try to get a hit, so the runner can take an extra base, since he had a head start.)

a perfectly executed hit and run

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v7035509/boslaa-scioscia-puts-on-the-hitandrun

Edited by bran

26 minutes ago, bran said:

they were two different leagues at one point. the NL(national league) was the original, after some years the AL(american league) formed. the two leagues after some dispute agreed to have their champions play each other every year in the world series. the two leagues then became equal partners in the MLB(major league baseball)

the only big difference is in the AL they have a designated hitter who hits instead of the pitcher, and in the NL the pitcher hits. this leads to some style differences in how ...

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v7035509/boslaa-scioscia-puts-on-the-hitandrun

Why can't baseball just be simple? No wonder the Japanese are the only other country to follow this? Baseball's complicated.

On 8/23/2016 at 3:22 PM, classicrawker said:

Well the Yankees are spinning their wheels and most likely won't make the playoffs but it is a fun team to watch again with all the young players being given a chance. Judge and Austin have cooled down but catcher Gary Sanchez is ripping it up so far and if he can stay healthy he could be the next great Yankees catcher.

He set a Yankee record for the most dingers, with 8,  in his first 19 games after he crushed 2 more last night....here is a video of his blasts last night with play by play by my favorite  Yankees Announcer John Sterling.........

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2016/08/gary_sanchez_making_yankees_home_run_history.html#incart_river_index

Sterling is cheesy at best but as a Yankee fan home boy I love listening to him...........

sanchez/castro/gregorious/byrd/judge and there are still pieces in the minors to come. that is a pretty good nucleus to build around. now we just need some pitching to go with tanaka.

2 hours ago, bran said:

sanchez/castro/gregorious/byrd/judge and there are still pieces in the minors to come. that is a pretty good nucleus to build around. now we just need some pitching to go with tanaka.

I am happy Hal S. was smart enough to realize it was time to bite the bullet and tear the team down and build with youth. If it had been his father George they would have kept signing a bunch of over priced fading veterans and it would be another 20 years without a WS ring......

I follow the Yankees minor leagues pretty closely and there may be pitching help coming in the next couple of years. In addition to Green, Cessna, and hopefully Severino, there are several young pitchers in AAA and AA pitching really well who might be good ML starters soon.

another homerun by sanchez. that is 8 homeruns in the last 9 games and 10 for the season. after all this shit this season, the yankees are 3.5 games out of the last wild card spot. really love this youth movement and can't wait to see the future of this team.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...