Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Odor done fucked up throwing that ball to first. Should have held it to save the run. He had absolutely no play at first; he holds the ball, steps back, and makes a balanced throw to the plate, and he saves that run. Some sweet sweet revenge for the Jays to punch their ALCS ticket at Rougey's expense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, axlslash said:

Odor done fucked up throwing that ball to first. Should have held it to save the run. He had absolutely no play at first; he holds the ball, steps back, and makes a balanced throw to the plate, and he saves that run. Some sweet sweet revenge for the Jays to punch their ALCS ticket at Rougey's expense.

ha, great choice of words! And yes, how fitting that it was his piss poor play that won it for us. Ah, sweet sweet justice!

3 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

ha, great choice of words! And yes, how fitting that it was his piss poor play that won it for us. Ah, sweet sweet justice!

Word choice was not an accident ;) He's gotta get raked over the coals for even making that throw. Just step back off the bag, settle down, and go to home with the ball, and JD (who was going for gone on contact) was dead. To. Rights. Instead, he made a throw that was late even if it had been on target, botched the throw, and sent the Jays on to the next round. 

Ill laugh really hard if the Cubs end up playing the Expos in the NLCS and Jays in the WS :D

8 minutes ago, axlslash said:

Word choice was not an accident ;) He's gotta get raked over the coals for even making that throw. Just step back off the bag, settle down, and go to home with the ball, and JD (who was going for gone on contact) was dead. To. Rights. Instead, he made a throw that was late even if it had been on target, botched the throw, and sent the Jays on to the next round. 

Ill laugh really hard if the Cubs end up playing the Expos in the NLCS and Jays in the WS :D

I'm going to laugh too, b/c that IS what's going to happen ;)

Odor has made so many errors this season anyway..and that was two errors in one play! (I love it).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, axlslash said:

A sign brought to the game by a Jays fan:

1476069563-Punch.jpg

• Like 3

Wild game last night.  My jaw literally dropped when Bryant hit the two run jack in the top of the ninth.  

Cubs should win tonight, but if they don't, who knows what happens in game five.  Odds are still in their favour, but anything can happen in a one-and-done game.  

Even though it's Kershaw going tonight for the Dodgers, I still like the Nationals to close out the series in game four.  

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Wild game last night.  My jaw literally dropped when Bryant hit the two run jack in the top of the ninth.  

Cubs should win tonight, but if they don't, who knows what happens in game five.  Odds are still in their favour, but anything can happen in a one-and-done game.  

Even though it's Kershaw going tonight for the Dodgers, I still like the Nationals to close out the series in game four.  

I stayed up and watched the whole thing. What a ride, one of the all-time great games I've ever seen. First time I've ever really questioned Maddon's decision-making. He burned a lot of pitchers on a high-risk gamble in the 8th, and suffice to say, he lost. And Chapman, who I already don't like having on my team due to his propensity to wife-beat, didn't endear me to him anymore. I thought Rondon was just fine as a closer, personally...

If Lackey has his good stuff tonight, the matchup heavily favors the Cubs. But our offense needs to wake up in a big bad way. Moore likes to work the heater away to lefties, and Rizzo eats the outside fastball for breakfast, so hoping for a breakout game for him. Hard to imagine the Cubs not taking the series, but going 5 games after a 2-0 lead would take away the shear dominance that the team had coming out of game 2. Winning tonight is crucial for the team's mentality, IMO. 

30 minutes ago, axlslash said:

I stayed up and watched the whole thing. What a ride, one of the all-time great games I've ever seen. First time I've ever really questioned Maddon's decision-making. He burned a lot of pitchers on a high-risk gamble in the 8th, and suffice to say, he lost. And Chapman, who I already don't like having on my team due to his propensity to wife-beat, didn't endear me to him anymore. I thought Rondon was just fine as a closer, personally...

If Lackey has his good stuff tonight, the matchup heavily favors the Cubs. But our offense needs to wake up in a big bad way. Moore likes to work the heater away to lefties, and Rizzo eats the outside fastball for breakfast, so hoping for a breakout game for him. Hard to imagine the Cubs not taking the series, but going 5 games after a 2-0 lead would take away the shear dominance that the team had coming out of game 2. Winning tonight is crucial for the team's mentality, IMO. 

Yeah, I was going to ask, does going to a game five, even if the Cubs win, hurt the team's confidence.  If the Cubs are the only team that gets taken to five games in division championship series, one wonders if this will affect them.  

I do think the Cubs are favoured over the Nats, but if the Nats win tonight and the Cubs have to go back to Chicago and play Thursday, it might help tilt the scales a bit with respect to resetting the pitching lineup, giving Nats players some much needed rest, and affecting the confidence of both teams.  

A lot of speculation, and probably all for not, but if I'm a Cubs fan, I think I'd really like to see them take out the Giants tonight and get prepared for the NLCS.

7 hours ago, downzy said:

Yeah, I was going to ask, does going to a game five, even if the Cubs win, hurt the team's confidence.  If the Cubs are the only team that gets taken to five games in division championship series, one wonders if this will affect them.  

I do think the Cubs are favoured over the Nats, but if the Nats win tonight and the Cubs have to go back to Chicago and play Thursday, it might help tilt the scales a bit with respect to resetting the pitching lineup, giving Nats players some much needed rest, and affecting the confidence of both teams.  

A lot of speculation, and probably all for not, but if I'm a Cubs fan, I think I'd really like to see them take out the Giants tonight and get prepared for the NLCS.

And that they did...Giants bullpen choked. All of them, so Cubs deserved it. On to the NLCS Cubs!

I did not agree with Bruce Bochy putting in a different pitcher every time a Cub got on base. Sometimes it's better to keep them in for another batter or two and let them work out of their mess. I know there was no wiggle room, but none of these pitchers got a chance to settle in. 

• Like 1

Congrats to the North Siders.  Hell of a comeback last night.  I think they are gonna do it.  Hoping for a Cleveland/Chicago World Series. 

This is coming from a Cardinal fan by the way.

Its  a shame we won't see a day game in Wrigley though.  But prime time TV rules. 

20 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I did not agree with Bruce Bochy putting in a different pitcher every time a Cub got on base. Sometimes it's better to keep them in for another batter or two and let them work out of their mess. I know there was no wiggle room, but none of these pitchers got a chance to settle in. 

I agree, but the real issue is the underlying problem: the Giants don't have a true closer. Romo comes in and out of the role, but they don't have a go-to guy to nail down that 9th. Couple that with a brainy manager, and you get some craziness.

Yesterday was a goddamn roller coaster night to be a Cub fan. This is the 6th time in my life that I've seen them make the playoffs, third NLCS appearance, and one thing I have never seen them do is truly fight back. When they've started to slip in each of their other playoffs, the weight of the world has come down on them and everything would go wrong. With some the errors Monday night, then Lackey falling on the DP fees last night... I've seen that movie before and had a huge pit in my stomach. That 9th inning rally isn't just huge for momentum heading into the NLCS, but it's an emphatic statement that this isn't like those other Cub teams. This time is different. I fucking love it.

Now to sit back, relax, and see which team we get to beat in the NLCS ;)

I'm the Cubs I'm praying big time that the team wins the game tomorrow.  Otherwise they'll face Kershaw at least once, perhaps twice. 

Disappointing the Jays offence decided to go away the first three games.  I honestly don't see how the Indians are going to compete in the World Series with only two viable starters.  In fact, if the Indians don't win tomorrow, I'd say it's possible the Jays come back to win the series (though not necessarily likely).  You'd have Happ going up against Tomlin in game six.  Tomlin got away with game two; I don't think he's good enough to silence the Jays bats two games in a row.  That leaves Kluber to pitch game seven against either Stroman or Sanchez.  Considering how well Sanchez pitched for the Jays tonight and Kruber will have pitched three times in seven games, it's not unfeasible to see how the Jays come back from such a terrible start.  Again, not likely, but not impossible.  

If I'm the Dodgers or the Cubs, I'm pulling for the Indians as I just don't see how the Indians compete against either team with only two real starters.  But who knows, Indians rookie pitcher Merritt might be the real deal and pitch gem tomorrow.  He looks impressive, but with only one mlb start this year, not a whole lot of experience in a rather important game.  

Congrats to the Tribe for winning the AL Championship...they convincingly beat two of the AL offensive power houses to get to the big dance.......happy for Miller who is not only one of the  best relievers in baseball of the epitome of a team player....also happy for Francona and look forward to listening to Boston sports radio WEEI tommorow........:lol:

Now time for the Cubbies to comeback for the perfect WS IMHO..........

Edited by classicrawker

6 hours ago, axlslash said:

As far as I'm concerned, tonight is the remainder of the NLCS. If the Cubs tie it up and get their mojo back, I think it's lights-out for LA. If they lose, it's over. That simple. Cubbies, don't go breaking my heart...

I sure as shit hope I was right.