Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Uhh, the Giants win the pennant, the Giants win the pennant?

I am considering personally boycotting MLB for the rest of eternity (for many reasons, but mainly) because of these Goddamn broadcast contracts they've made. I couldn't watch the pennant-winning game (I have a normal cable package but it's on a weird channel I don't get that's above and beyond), couldn't even listen to it on the radio or on an internet radio stream without some stupid fucking subscription. I watched the fucking scoreboard update on MLB.com for the ninth inning. It was the most disappointing and frustrating and infuriating thing I have experienced as a baseball fan. They've really cut off their nose to spite their face on these broadcast deals. It's making it really, really hard to be a fan, even to be a casual fan that only watches the really big games. What the fuck? The fucking National League championship game. I know he's gone, but Selig has fucked this sport for decades to come. I'll watch the World Series, but I might be done after that with professional baseball.

Edited by DirtyDeeds
update title

You're right, as much as I hate to say it. It makes me despise football. But it shouldn't be that way. I don't hate football for football's sake. I hate it because it competes with baseball, and specifically, it competes with baseball once the baseball season starts to really heat up. I would like for the two to co-exist well, but as it stands, I don't really think they do.

I don't know how long MLB's contracts with FOX last, but I have to believe it's a pretty long time. This sucks, because there are plenty of regular stations that don't also have the NFL contracts. I mean, look at NBC. They don't have shit for sports. They have the Olympics and golf. I think that's more or less it. And even their regular programming, let's admit it, blows. They could probably benefit from having a contract with MLB, and the fans would benefit because everyone gets NBC. I'd be happy. Another benefit from that would be that NBC couldn't possibly do a worse baseball broadcast than FOX does. ESPN does a shit broadcast, too. I think they take baseball, and in the broadcast they try to make it look like football in the way that they really over-emphasize the drama by doing extreme close-ups of the pitcher's nosehairs, and they have that stupid cameraman that runs alongside the runner from third to home that just hit a homerun, looking for a close-up of any sign of self-congratulation and then team celebration. But baseball has little of that; always has, and always will. That's actually part of what makes it different and beautiful. I don't know whether the way they shoot the game helps to increase ratings or not, but I know that it turns this baseball fan off. Perhaps when people watch a baseball game, they want to watch a product that looks like baseball? This is all not to even mention Joe Buck. I don't have to elaborate. At least we lost Tim McCarver.

It's also upsetting to me, though, that I can't even listen to it on the radio. I actually don't mind listening to a game as opposed to watching it, because it is true that baseball is a lousy TV sport (football and basketball and hockey are indeed better TV sports, merely because of the shape of their playing surface and positioning of their players... it all fits in one shot). But baseball is by far the best radio sport. If you're really listening, you get a much fuller picture of the game on radio than you do on TV. But the only sports radio in this neck of the woods is ESPN radio, which is either doing talk shows or broadcasting some other sport that is lousy on radio. And I can't go online and listen to another city's live radio stream, because MLB has blacked those out, too.

As bleak as it looked before last nights game between the Cards and Giants, I still thought the Cards would win game 5 and take it back to St.Louis and win games 6 and 7. If we could beat Kershaw twice, we could beat Bumgartner once. But it didn't happen, so congratulations to the Giants. They were the better team.

Don't have a rooting interest in the World Series, I guess it would be cool if Kansas City won since they are the underdog.

Pitchers and catchers report in 4 months.

I think everyone with the exception of the Bay area is rooting for the Royals.

From longest postseason drought in the four major sports, to the World Series ... pretty damn cool.

i agree, the royals just seem to have th "it" factor as well, the team that got hot at the right time. it should be an interesting matchup that is for sure.

Plus nobody was picking the Royals to even be in the world series!

I'm rooting for them hard core.

Plus I'm a Dodgers fan, so the last thing I want is for the Giants to win the series again.

Plus I love the way the Royals play the game. Some people call it small ball, but it's really called smart ball. That's something guys like Puig and Mattingly don't get. They aren't baseball "smart."

Puig will come up with a runner on second in the 9th inning of a tie game. And instead of trying to move the runner to third base by hitting to the right side of the field, he'll try and hit home runs on three bad pitches and end up striking out or popping out. Instead of doing the things to help your TEAM try and win a game, he is trying to win the game single-handily.

And that's why the Royals and their payroll are in the Series and the Dodgers and their 200 million dollar payroll and roster full of all stars are sitting at home.

I think everyone with the exception of the Bay area is rooting for the Royals.

From longest postseason drought in the four major sports, to the World Series ... pretty damn cool.

i agree, the royals just seem to have th "it" factor as well, the team that got hot at the right time. it should be an interesting matchup that is for sure.

So did you get through the 10 year anniversary yesterday okay? ;)

I still can't believe it happened, one of my all-time greatest memories.

i got through it, watched the special on nesn(i think it was) about it. i have a lot of respect for schilling though the guy was tough and it was one of the all time gut it out performances.

Just when you think this game is predictable...

Was listening to the local sports radio station prior to Wednesday night's game. Every on-air guy had the Giants now sweeping the series. I'm inclined to change my pick as well, even after Kansas' win last night, but ultimately, who knows. The Royals could end up winning it in five or the Giants win it in seven. Excited for tomorrow's game :)

Huge, huge news today folks!

Rays GM Andrew Friedman is taking over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations, he is arguably the best GM in baseball and has done an amazing job in Tampa with very limited resources.

What does this mean? Well besides no doubt helping the Dodgers become a perennial World Series contender, it probably also means Joe Maddon will become the new Dodgers manager. The Rays will be losing the best GM/Manager combination in the game, which will probably mean they won't be contending very often in the future, which could very likely result in the Rays franchise eventually moving.

Either way, the other AL East teams will have an easier path to the postseason in the immediate future.

And, Joe Maddon has opted out of his contract with the Rays today. Friedman saying that Mattingly will manage the Dodgers next year though. No clue why Friedman wouldn't bring Maddon along--like you said, arguably the best GM/Manager combo, so why not continue it if you're Friedman? It sounds like the Cubs are the favorite to land Maddon. Really don't want to see him in the same division as the Reds, especially with the young talent that the Cubs have on the cusp of the majors and the fact that the four other teams besides the Cubs have already been battling with each other at the top the past few years. Should provide a fun race, but was always nice to have a break to beat up on the Cubs every once in a while.

it could get interesting if he does the whole "sit out and broadcast a year" routine. i think the cubs would be a perfect fit, they have some pieces and in the next couple of years go be a dangerous team if they land maddon.

Great game last night. One of the better ones of the playoffs.

Question is whether the Giants go back to Bumgarner after only three days of rest. Kind of a must win game for them and their remaking starting pitchers don't invoke a lot of confidence.

This guy in the Marlins jersey sounds like a huge egomaniac.

See anybody else talking on their phone?

eebcb007d6407129630f6a706700335e.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/world-series-fan-creates-buzz-marlins-jersey-172727085--spt.html

"I wear this orange jersey and I get on TV all the time."

He said his followers this week on Twitter (@Marlins_Man) have climbed from 175 to 7,100.

"Every Korean and Japanese station that follows American baseball has been calling me all night long for two days for an interview," he said.

"If I move to the owner's suite, my friends couldn't see me," Leavy said.

That's hilarious. My fiancé and I have been cracking jokes about this guy all three games. I couldn't believe it when I saw him behind home plate at the Giants game last night. Guess that explains the Marlin's jersey. I didn't understand why a diehard Marlins fan would shell out huge money to sit behind home plate at all three home games played so far.

Thanks for the article Linguini!

getting maddon is huge for the cubs, they have a chance to be dangerous in the coming years.

tonight is a huge toss up, the giants have experience but the royals have shown they can win big games. bumgardner will definitely come in relief, which could be a massive advantage for the giants.