Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Apparently Stanton doesn't like playing for them, so they are gonna have to over-pay to keep him.

But that kind of contract can cripple a franchise if something happens to Stanton.

But in terms of potential production, based on the modern salaries in baseball - if Stanton goes 40 homers and hits 280 for the next decade - then it's a good value deal.

Then you look at guys like Arod who are really 5 million dollar players now that are making 25 million a year......or even a loser like andre Etheir of the dodgers. Guy is making 15 million a year and he can't even hold down a starting job.

For a small market team investing that much money into one player is pretty risky.

I'd trade him. That rumored deal of Puig and another quality prospect looks pretty good for both teams.

But I'm just as disgusted as the over-paying for smaller deals.

Mets give Cuddyer 21 million and give up a first round draft pick for a 35 year old guy who is injured every year. Take away his Colorado years and he is a guy who hits 270 with 15 homers a year.

An injury prone 35 year old that is gonna play in 120 games, hit 270 and maybe hit 15 homers.........that's worth 11 million a year?

It's deals like that that drive up the value of other marginal players and continues to throw salaries out of whack for everybody.

And, in the first blockbuster trade of the offseason, Atlanta trades Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden to St. Louis for Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins. Like Miller, but assuming the Cards extend Heyward, I think they got the better end of the deal. Doesn't sound like Atlanta was going to be able to extend Heyward, but still surprised to see him moved during the offseason.

Also, Toronto signs Russell Martin to a 5 year, $82MM deal.

Edited by ronaldo9

I find these deals very interesting.

The media is describing Martin has having a great year and being worth a new contract worth 16 million per...........while Heyward is described as being a bust.

Look at their numbers.

31 year old

290 avg, 11 homers, 67 RBI

16 million per year for the next 5 years (career 267 hitter).

25 year old

271 avg, 11 homers, 58 RBI, 20 steals, won gold glove

8 million

But one is a hero and one is a bust?

• 2 weeks later...

So who do you think ended up with the better third baseman for the money? Jays with Donaldson (cost $40 million over 4 years) or the Red Sox with Sandoval ($100 million over five years)?

Still can't believe Oakland took that trade for Lawrie. If the Jays end up resigning Melky, they're going to have a hell of a lineup (assuming everyone stays healthy): Reyes, Cabrerra, Bautista, Encarnacion, Martin, Donaldson.

So who do you think ended up with the better third baseman for the money? Jays with Donaldson (cost $40 million over 4 years) or the Red Sox with Sandoval ($100 million over five years)?

Still can't believe Oakland took that trade for Lawrie. If the Jays end up resigning Melky, they're going to have a hell of a lineup (assuming everyone stays healthy): Reyes, Cabrerra, Bautista, Encarnacion, Martin, Donaldson.

donaldson IMO. sandoval will definitely benefit from the monster but i just think donaldson is a better player and he is 10 mil cheaper/

andrew miller signs 4yr/36 million dollar deal with the yankees.

yankees also acquire ss didi gregorius from arizona.

Interesting moves.

Gregorius can't hit, and 9 million a year for a set-up guy.

13 homeruns is a lot better than what we had a short for 2 years, plus being left handed and that short porch in right could help. the miller signing is interesting robertson wanted upwards of papelbon money and the guy kind of fell off last year and had an era over 3 as a closer. i think this could signal betances as the closer unless they want miller, which then im scared.

• Like 1

porcello/masterson to the red sox. cespedes to the tigers

jimmy rollins traded to dodgers

matt kemp traded to padres

mat latos traded to marlins

alfred simon traded to tigers

white sox sign david robertson

twins sign ervin santana

miguel montero traded to cubs

howie kendrick traded to dodgers

jeff samardzija traded to white sox

brandon moss traded to indians

there were more i missed im sure but damn its been a busy couple of days.

So, apparently San Diego's offseason strategy is to trade for every outfielder in the league.

They have certainly upgraded their offense this off-season. Kemp, Myer, Upton, Norris.

The West is now going to be brutal.

LA is much better than they were.

Giants have 3 world series in the past five years.

Padres just added potentially 90 home runs to their line-up.

Arizona?

• 3 weeks later...

Hall of Fame inductees are announced tomorrow. Who gets in? Would think the Big Unit and Pedro are locks. Biggio was just a couple of votes away last year, so he'll probably get over the top this time around. Smoltz is probably the only other newcomer who will come close enough to have a shot in a few years. Guess we'll see how much the Mitchell Report mention will drag down Sheffield. Saw that he's apparently just above the 5% to stay on the ballot out of the writers who made their votes public so far.

Tim Raines deserves to get in. A travesty that he has had to wait this long.

Rj

Pedro

Biggio

smoltz

Schilling

piazza is the best offensive catcher of all time. Again, the Hall is a joke without him. Never failed a pfd/steroid test.

I dont recall exactly what happened with Clemens. Was he actually convicted of using or did he fail an actual test? Wasn't he just accused but never nailed for it? If so he should be in.

With that said, i hate how watered down the Hall is. Way too many players. It is really the Hall of Really Good players.

Tim Raines deserves to get in. A travesty that he has had to wait this long.

Rj

Pedro

Biggio

smoltz

Schilling

piazza is the best offensive catcher of all time. Again, the Hall is a joke without him. Never failed a pfd/steroid test.

I dont recall exactly what happened with Clemens. Was he actually convicted of using or did he fail an actual test? Wasn't he just accused but never nailed for it? If so he should be in.

With that said, i hate how watered down the Hall is. Way too many players. It is really the Hall of Really Good players.

yeah with clemens he was pointed out by his former trainer and andy pettitte said him and roger talked about steroids when they were working out together. the thing is the government couldnt prove it and he was acquitted on all charges.

Yeah, I'd vote for both Smoltz and Raines. The sad thing about Raines is he's down to what, three more shots counting this time because of the shortening of the time allowed on the ballot? Think that's what I read. Unless he gets a big jump, don't think he'll be able to get in by then. Definitely deserves induction.

I have to admit, I'm starting to soften when it comes to the steroids players, especially since the rumors that a user already made it in (Henderson?). It's just a sad, strange situation. Sad for obvious reasons, but strange in that I feel myself becoming okay with voting for Bonds and Clemens, while not feeling sorry for Palmeiro dropping off or considering Sosa that much (doesn't necessarily seem logical or right, which is why it feels strange). I don't know--just to the point where, especially if a user already made it in, that it's tough to ignore that part of history (yeah, find myself coming around to that narrative that some writers have been talking about).

Edited by ronaldo9

Yeah, I'd vote for both Smoltz and Raines. The sad thing about Raines is he's down to what, three more shots counting this time because of the shortening of the time allowed on the ballot? Think that's what I read. Unless he gets a big jump, don't think he'll be able to get in by then. Definitely deserves induction.

I have to admit, I'm starting to soften when it comes to the steroids players, especially since the rumors that a user already made it in (Henderson?). It's just a sad, strange situation. Sad for obvious reasons, but strange in that I feel myself becoming okay with voting for Bonds and Clemens, while not feeling sorry for Palmeiro dropping off or considering Sosa that much (doesn't necessarily seem logical or right, which is why it feels strange). I don't know--just to the point where, especially if a user already made it in, that it's tough to ignore that part of history (yeah, find myself coming around to that narrative that some writers have been talking about).

im the same way, i have little doubt someone got in that juiced it will come out one day and it will be almost like a nuclear blast for the MLB.

Congrats to the four who made it. All are deserving.

Looks like Piazza has a chance next year--up to 70%. Completely ridiculous with Raines only at 55%. Disappointed Bagwell stayed around there, too. One of my favorite players growing up.

Looking ahead, would guess Griffey and Hoffman will make it in on their first ballot, with a possibility of Wagner, too.

The Hall of Fame is a joke.

Mike Piazza is the greatest offensive catcher in history - and he doesn't get in?

Time Raines is the 2nd greatest lead off hitter of all time - and he doesn't get in?

Ridiculous.

But congrats to Biggio, RJ, Pedro and Smoltz.

its the stigma of steroids. even if its just a rumor they will not vote you in and i think in the case of piazza people are weary and they are slowly thinking about it and in all honesty next year i think its almost a slam dunk piazza gets in and rightly so.

tim raines just baffles me and should already be in. it was cool to see mussina pick up some more points/votes i think he screwed himself by not playing another 2 years or so. he had just reinvented himself won 20 games and had an ERA of 3.37 in his last year. i think his career ERA (3.68) gets a little inflated by not only pitching in the steroid era but pitching in the AL east his whole career during the steroid era.

not looking good for sheffield, clemens, bonds. sheff only got 11%.