Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Are Shields and Max ever going to sign with somebody?

Personally, if I owned a team, I wouldn't give either one of them the money they want.

Max will be 31 in July. He was a number 3 starter until developing a new pitch two years ago. So he's had two great years. But.....one thing to think about.....a lot of his major stats dropped this year from last year. Higher ERA, allowed more hits, WHIP went up, walks/K ration went down. I wouldn't give him 200 million dollars. Maybe if he was 25. But not a 31-year-old.

And James Shields is really just a solid number two starter. He is 33 years old, has a career 3.72 era. In eight years as a full time starter he has won 16 games once and 15 games once. It is hard to believe somebody offered him 110 million for five years. Number two starters that are 33 years old shouldn't get contracts of 22 million dollars a year.

It's all about supply and demand.

Perhaps Shields and Scherzer are waiting on each other to make a move.

When one of them comes off the market, the value for the one left standing might go up since they'd be the last great pitcher left.

pitching is a premium position so just to get good solid pitching teams will overpay. the yankees are in rebuild mode so i dont see them going after either one but they will sign but it may take a while, its a game of chicken right now and one team will get desperate and pull the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a good deal for the Nationals?

They might have already had the best pitching staff in baseball.

I suppose now they trade one of the guys for more offense.

I just think it is a long contract and a lot of money to give a 31 year old who isn't a greg maddux finesse pitcher type.

I just think it is a long contract and a lot of money to give a 31 year old who isn't a greg maddux finesse pitcher type.

7 years for a pitcher that is already 30 and will turn 31 just after the allstar break is risky and very scary. at the same time if you get 3 or 4 premium years out of him and a world series ring or 2, the 3 mediocre years or years that are below what you expect are worth it. that rotation in washington is nasty especially if they keep zimmerman.

7 years for a pitcher that is already 30 and will turn 31 just after the allstar break is risky and very scary. at the same time if you get 3 or 4 premium years out of him and a world series ring or 2, the 3 mediocre years or years that are below what you expect are worth it. that rotation in washington is nasty especially if they keep zimmerman.

Who do you think they were bidding against? Do you think any other club threw out 7-years at 28 million per year?

Who do you think they were bidding against? Do you think any other club threw out 7-years at 28 million per year?

like i said a few pages ago it was all going to be a game of chicken. there doesnt need to be another team necessarily. as spring training gets closer and closer a team will look at scherzer see the only ace free agent available and think that he could be the piece that puts them over the top and win a world series. max scherzer didnt have to budge because he knew someone was going to throw the money he wanted out at him eventually. 20-30 million for an ace pitcher is the norm, same with position players.

Should make the AL Central a little more wide open. The White Sox have improved over the off season, and Cleveland seems to be always right there come September.

Funny, if you look at the AL in general, I don't see a lot of improvement from many teams. Granted, I don't follow the other teams as closely as I do the Jays (who have improved at the infield level), but the Rays losing Madden, Baltimore losing Cruz, Detroit losing Scherzer, Kansas losing Butler and likely Shields, many of the better teams in 2014 look weaker coming into the 2015 season. Texas might be the biggest improved team if they can avoid a half of the injuries they suffered last year.

Kind of like how no one team (other than the Angels) seems to be an overwhelming favourite this year in the AL. The NL seems to be a different story, as I can see a large disparity between good and bad teams there.

I just divided it out. Scherzer will be making approximately $6364 PER PITCH.

That's just fucking sickening.

Or......he is making $82,000 PER DAY for fhe next seven years.

82,000 per day

365 days

For the next 7 years

Or

$3,500 per hour - 24 hours a day. He is going to make $30,000 sleeping tonight.

Thats 60 dollars per second.

Where is James Shields going to sign?

What would you do with Arod if you were the Yankees? The guy's stats have been on decline for several years now. He is old, fragile and a below average hitter and defender who will be making 25 million dollars or whatever it is. And is set to receive huge million dollar bonuses this year for passing a couple hall of fame players on the home run list.

If I ran the Yankees I'd send Arod to the Double A team and make him play there all season. That way he wouldn't be a distraction to the MLB squad (taking away media from the productive players) and he'd boost attendance for all the minor league games.

What would you do with Arod if you were the Yankees? The guy's stats have been on decline for several years now. He is old, fragile and a below average hitter and defender who will be making 25 million dollars or whatever it is. And is set to receive huge million dollar bonuses this year for passing a couple hall of fame players on the home run list.

If I ran the Yankees I'd send Arod to the Double A team and make him play there all season. That way he wouldn't be a distraction to the MLB squad (taking away media from the productive players) and he'd boost attendance for all the minor league games.

if i were the yankees i would just shit can him, he is getting paid either way best for him to be away from the yankees the guy isnt worth the fucking hassle anymore,. as for shields i think he ends up with the blue jays.

• Like 1

Definitely agree that he should be sent down to the minors if the Yankees can't get out of the contract. Or trade him for chump change to a team that will take anyone (cough, cough, Marlins) while still paying the majority of his contract. Might as well get something back like a decent draft pick.

if i were the yankees i would just shit can him, he is getting paid either way best for him to be away from the yankees the guy isnt worth the fucking hassle anymore,. as for shields i think he ends up with the blue jays.

I've been surprised by the rumours, but it would make sense. Once again, it's just a matter of whether they Jays will open the bank to get it done. Signing shields would also help the bullpen, as it would allow them to move Sanchez out of the starting rotation. Would give them a hell of an arm in the bullpen while allowing the kid to develop further in the majors.

Jays still need a closer. If they land Papelbon I doubt they'll have the money to go for Shields as well.

• Like 1