Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

10 hours ago, downzy said:

The AL East is one crazy division.  If the Jays beat the Yankees tomorrow all five teams will be playing .500 ball or better.  

AL & NL Central divisions are defined by mediocrity so far.

NL East and AL West are turning into a joke with both the Nationals and Astros running away in their respective divisions filled with terrible teams.

Besides the AL East, the NL West seems competitive with decent playing ball clubs.

Still early in the season.

Happy to see Toronto supporting the team through a rocky start.  Jays are the first in the AL to reach 1 million in attendance.  

Wow- I had no idea Toronto led the AL in attendance. That's cool.

Yeah, the AL East is a meat grinder for sure. But at this point, it doesn't matter. It's the Astros' world and we are all just living in it. That team is bad ass...

50 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Wow- I had no idea Toronto led the AL in attendance. That's cool.

Yeah, the AL East is a meat grinder for sure. But at this point, it doesn't matter. It's the Astros' world and we are all just living in it. That team is bad ass...

Yeah, the Astros are ripping it up.  We'll see if they can sustain the momentum, a problem they had two years ago.  The the rest of the AL West looks like a graveyard.  

Thank god for the second wildcard spot.  At this point it's looking like three teams from the AL East will end up in the playoffs again like last year.

Only took one winning season and Toronto became a baseball town again.  And to think only three years ago there were those claiming the Blue Jays were not long for this world in Toronto.  Only problem I have with the resurgence of Jays popularity is that it's become increasingly difficult to get tickets, particularly weekend games.  I was online ready to buy 6 tickets for myself and my wife's family for the May 27th game against Texas the moment they became available.  Nothing.  Resorted to Stubhub and paid a $17 premium over face value for mediocre tickets.  

• Like 1

Looking at the map it would seem as though most people went for the 300s as the upper bowl looks almost sold out.  Floor is pretty much gone save for the VIP seats which will likely be made available a couple of days before the concert at the regular $300 price.  

Only tickets really left available are the lower bowl at the back.  

While not a sell out right away, it looks like this show will be full come October 29th.  

Another power show today in Toronto and young LHP Jordan Montgomery looks like he can hold his own against MLB hitters..............Keep waiting for the Yankees to come back to earth but maybe they are for real..........Surprising considering how badly Tanaka has looked a times..........IMHO they will go as far as the starting pitching takes them as they have a solid offense and plenty of position player depth especially when Bird and Austin are done with their rehab assignments.........not bad considering this is a rebuilding year.......

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Another power show today in Toronto and young LHP Jordan Montgomery looks like he can hold his own against MLB hitters..............Keep waiting for the Yankees to come back to earth but maybe they are for real..........Surprising considering how badly Tanaka has looked a times..........IMHO they will go as far as the starting pitching takes them as they have a solid offense and plenty of position player depth especially when Bird and Austin are done with their rehab assignments.........not bad considering this is a rebuilding year.......

I keep waiting for Judge to cool off but he doesn't. Looks like the real deal! So patient at the plate. Not letting the hype get to him. Hitting in the 3 hole like it ain't no thang...

55 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I keep waiting for Judge to cool off but he doesn't. Looks like the real deal! So patient at the plate. Not letting the hype get to him. Hitting in the 3 hole like it ain't no thang...

i expect Judge will have his cold spells but he seems like a smart player who is willing to take coaching and adjust.......Sanchez is just starting to hit and if Bird can get his stroke back this team will be hard to beat if the Starting pitching can hold up...............The young talent we have and how fast they are putting it together is amazing to me.......Cashman, the scouts and the rest of the front office has done a fantastic job rebuilding this team with young talent  in a few short years..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

i expect Judge will have his cold spells but he seems like a smart player who is willing to take coaching and adjust.......Sanchez is just starting to hit and if Bird can get his stroke back this team will be hard to beat if the Starting pitching can hold up...............The young talent we have and how fast they are putting it together is amazing to me.......Cashman, the scouts and the rest of the front office has done a fantastic job rebuilding this team with young talent  in a few short years..

Just wait til the best one of all, Gleyber Torres, hits town... it's like 1996 all over again. 

Montgomery with a tremendous outing today. I really like him. Looks like average stuff but he just keeps getting outs. I also love watching CC continue on as a now crafty lefty. But yeah- Tanaka- what the hell? 

Living in KC- they are looking to sell. Jason Vargas has been outstanding on the hill this year. Probably gonna take a lot to get him though...

Gibby did the Yankees a favour by bringing Grille out for the 8th.  Great guy, but he's pretty much done as a major league pitcher.  It was one of those games that could have gone either way, with numerous balls dropping for Yankees batters that somehow turned into doubles while the Jays refused to hit with runners in scoring position.  

Hopefully the Jays can even the series tomorrow with Stroman on the mound.  Both teams have potent offences so it's just a matter of who knocks the starter out first.  

on paper it could be a great pitching matchup in Yanks/ Jays game today with Severino vs Stroman...........Stroman has pitched well against the Yankees while Severino not so much against the Jays so will be interesting to see how he does against the Jays tough lineup......

Edited by classicrawker

Man alive, it's the Astro's world and we're all just living in it.  10th win in a row.  Maybe a bit premature, but the AL West looks like it's done.

Donaldson cranks his fourth home run in his eight game return.  That's a game the Jays lose a month ago.  

I can see why people make the effort to see Judge during batting practice:

060117_mlb_gif_judge_510ft_med_wa2jrwn4.

510' bomb in a part of the park that almost never gets any balls. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 11:48 PM, downzy said:

Gibby did the Yankees a favour by bringing Grille out for the 8th.  Great guy, but he's pretty much done as a major league pitcher.  It was one of those games that could have gone either way, with numerous balls dropping for Yankees batters that somehow turned into doubles while the Jays refused to hit with runners in scoring position.  

Hopefully the Jays can even the series tomorrow with Stroman on the mound.  Both teams have potent offences so it's just a matter of who knocks the starter out first.  

Who is this Joe Smith guy? I get nervous when i watch him, he has such an odd way of pitching, he always looks like he's going to fall right over! :lol: But I'm excited about him, those throws seem to hit the mark almost every time. 

2 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Who is this Joe Smith guy? I get nervous when i watch him, he has such an odd way of pitching, he always looks like he's going to fall right over! :lol: But I'm excited about him, those throws seem to hit the mark almost every time. 

Yeah, he's got a bit of an unorthodox delivery.  Apparently the Jays wanted a side-throwing pitcher to give batters a different look than what they usually get.  I heard one of the broadcasters say that he uses a lot of his legs, more so than most pitchers, to generate his power, which is why he kind of flies off the mound.  He's done fairly well so far, with only a couple of rough outs.  That's above average for most Jays relievers.  

• Like 1

Nice series win against the Red Sox...now if we can only get Tanaka back on track this team could actually stay the course and win the division........

Man David Price seems like he is in full blown Ed Whitson meltdown mode with his clubhouse rant against the Boston press........playing in Boston is not easy, as it is  fanatical baseball town, but Price is not doing himself any favors attacking the press here...........he is being paid close to $30 Million a year for the next 5 years so could be tough for the Sox if he can't handle the pressure in Boston............

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

Nice series win against the Red Sox...now if we can only get Tanaka back on track this team could actually stay the course and win the division........

Man David Price seems like he is in full blown Ed Whitson meltdown mode with his clubhouse rant against the Boston press........playing in Boston is not easy, as it is  fanatical baseball town, but Price is not doing himself any favors attacking the press here...........he is being paid close to $30 Million a year for the next 5 years so could be tough for the Sox if he can't handle the pressure in Boston............

Ha! Yeah, how's that Price signing looking about now Boston? I loved last night when he gave up one of his dingers, he shook his hand and chewed a finger like he had a blister. But I didn't see him do it before that. And he continued to pitch after it. I imagine the Boston papers were not too kind to him this morning. :lol:

Now to stay hot against the O's...

Bronx Bombers crushing the O's tonight 14-0 and Severino pitching a 1 hit shutout like an ace through 6.... and they have so much talent in the minors ready to play in the bigs but nowhere to put them........I have not been this excited about a Yankee team since the 90's WS run with Jeter.......

Edited by classicrawker

A little Yankee trivia.The Yankees had 3 first round picks in the 2013 amateur draft and picked Judge with the second of those picks at #32 in the first round...Who did they pick before Judge at #26? 3B Eric Jagielo who was one of the pieces in the Chapman trade with the Reds..........

Nice write up on the Yankees thinking in the 2013 draft.........

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story-yankees-aaron-judge-draft-strategy-2013-article-1.3089191

Another piece of trivia Mike Trout was picked with the 25th pick in the 2009 draft by the Angels..The Yankees wanted Trout badly but picked at #29 that year and the Angels grabbed him first at #25...........Supposedly if the Angels had not grabbed him he might have fallen to the Yankees as they were the only two teams that seemed to have him high on their boards...........Imagine if they had drafted Trout on this team...plus they most likely never would have signed Ellsbury if they had gotten Trout so it would have been a double win....the one who got away so to speak.............:lol:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-remember-hooked-mike-trout-angels-article-1.1115065

Edited by classicrawker

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

A little Yankee trivia.The Yankees had 3 first round picks in the 2013 amateur draft and picked Judge with the second of those picks at #32 in the first round...Who did they pick before Judge at #26? 3B Eric Jagielo who was one of the pieces in the Chapman trade with the Reds..........

Nice write up on the Yankees thinking in the 2013 draft.........

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story-yankees-aaron-judge-draft-strategy-2013-article-1.3089191

Another piece of trivia Mike Trout was picked with the 25th pick in the 2009 draft by the Angels..The Yankees wanted Trout badly but picked at #29 that year and the Angels grabbed him first at #25...........Supposedly if the Angels had not grabbed him he might have fallen to the Yankees as they were the only two teams that seemed to have him high on their boards...........Imagine if they had drafted Trout on this team...plus they most likely never would have signed Ellsbury if they had gotten Trout so it would have been a double win....the one who got away so to speak.............:lol:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-remember-hooked-mike-trout-angels-article-1.1115065

Yeah I saw a piece on tv somewhere about the Trout draft situation. Cashman said exactly that- he was thinking that if the Angels didn't take him, he would make it to them at 29. That would've been sick. His popularity would have been on Mantle & Jeter levels...

Judge might reach that level of popularity himself. I mean, he seems like a great human above being a sick otherworldly player...

Another crushing by the Yankees.............their offense is almost firing on  all cylinders now, the only hole is little production from the corner infielders, once we get Bird back to hitting the way he can this team will be hard to beat........... and they are getting tremendoues pitching.......love watching this team.................

Judge hits a monsterous HR (495ft) to the back of the bleachers and another laser beam shot HR to right field........He is havng an MVP, Rookie of the year, triple crown season so far and is leading MLB with 21 HR's, RBI's  and is now hitting 0.344.....I have run out of superlatives to describe this youing man ...........all I can say is .............WOW!.....

Edited by classicrawker

Well the injury bug has finally hit the Yankees with this 6 game losing streak but I think it is more that the SP has come down to earth and is struggling...........Tanaka is really struggling with command and the rest of the pitchers  have not pitched well this road.....

I think Severino , Monty and the other young pitchers will have their ups and downs as they learn and adjust to MLB hitters  so while I think the Yanks have a fighting chance they may need to trade some of their prospect capital to get a veteran pitcher to have a chance.........i would hate to see them overpay like we have done in the past just to chase the playoffs.........

Personally I am o.k with them staying the course  letting the youngsters get their experience taking their lumps even if it means not making the playoffs again as this was supposed to be a rebuilding year anyway......... even if they don;t make the playoffs this is an exciting team to watch...........

23 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Well the injury bug has finally hit the Yankees with this 6 game losing streak but I think it is more that the SP has come down to earth and is struggling...........Tanaka is really struggling with command and the rest of the pitchers  have not pitched well this road.....

I think Severino , Monty and the other young pitchers will have their ups and downs as they learn and adjust to MLB hitters  so while I think the Yanks have a fighting chance they may need to trade some of their prospect capital to get a veteran pitcher to have a chance.........i would hate to see them overpay like we have done in the past just to chase the playoffs.........

Personally I am o.k with them staying the course  letting the youngsters get their experience taking their lumps even if it means not making the playoffs again as this was supposed to be a rebuilding year anyway......... even if they don;t make the playoffs this is an exciting team to watch...........

You've probably heard by now about the latest injury woes. Gleybar Torres fucked up his left elbow diving into home for Scranton- TJ surgery. At least it's his non throwing elbow. I cringe every time someone dives into a bag, but especially home. Trout was a great example. You dive in, the fielder can block you off the bag, or you can breaks wrists and fingers, and apparently tear your UCL... Yeah, you might avoid a tag once in a blue moon, but I think guys need to be taught in the minors to go back to sliding feet first. As a former ss/2b, when spikes are coming in, you pay extra attention to giving the runner a path to the bag... then as a runner, you are carrying the weapon, not being the one in danger... anyway- it's my current pet peave now that our top prospect got burned by it...

I say stay the course- don't give up any prospects for a pitcher. We got a bright future- I say be patient. But if we are still in the hunt for the east at end of July, it'll be hard for Cashman to do nothing. But fuck it if we are only in the hunt for the wild card- that one game bullshit is a crapshoot anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The injury bug continues to bite the Yankees hard, this time in heartbreaking fashion. This kid blew out his knee in the first inning of his MLB debut. I hope he gets another chance someday. So sad. (These White Sox announcers are complete morons btw).

Also, we are going to KC tonight to see Twins vs Royals. Pretty big series for the AL Central.

Edited by Fitha_whiskey