Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Well, looks like the Red Sox are now the best team on paper in the AL.  Scary starting lineup with Price, Sale, and last year's AL Cy Young winner Rick Porcello.  

Looks like EE ain't coming back to the Jays.  Offered him $80 million over four years, EE said he wanted to entertain other offers, the Jays moved on.  Sad to see him go but I understand the Jays not wanting to wait around in the off chance EE decided to take their offer.  You've got to figure Boston and New York are out since Boston now has to pay for Sale and the Yankees picked up Halliday for a season.  Can't see him going to a NL team since he'll be a DH in a few years.  Maybe Baltimore (if they don't re-sign Trumbo), Houston, Texas, or Seattle?  Cleveland and Tampa are too small market, Oakland can't afford him, WS are rebuilding, Angels have Pujols for another five years, Detroit has Cabrera.

Should be an exciting week or two for signings.  

• 1 month later...

Now that football is over time to start talking baseball with Spring training camps opening with Pitchers an Catchers reporting on Feb 13th  for most teams............

Yankees getting ready to sign NL co- HR leader (45hrs) Chris Carter to a 1 year, $3 million contract which will be  $4.5 million including a 50% luxury tax penalty..........The guy struck out 206 times last year so he is all or nothing but for that cheap money it is good insurance in case Holliday is  bust,  Bird does not get his stroke back immediately or T.Austin regresses.....I like this signing........

• Like 1

• downzy changed the title to Major League Baseball Thread - 2017 Spring Training

It would seem that Boston is still the team to beat in the AL East.  Cleveland looks like it should retain the AL Central crown.  I'm still waiting on Seattle to live up to its potential, but I suppose the favourite for the AL West has to be Rangers.  

Potential AL wild card teams are the Toronto, Seattle, Detroit, and Baltimore.  That said, I can see Houston being competitive this year.

I think the Yankees are still a season or two away from making it back to the playoffs.  There are too many questions relating to their starting pitching.  Plus, the fact that they received literally no interest from other teams for Castro, Headley and Gardner screams dead weight.

The NL seems like it will be another predictable year, with the Nationals, Cubs, and Dodgers winning their respective divisions.  And the potential wild card spots will likely go to either the Giants, Mets, Pirates, or Cardinals.  

1 hour ago, downzy said:

It would seem that Boston is still the team to beat in the AL East.  Cleveland looks like it should retain the AL Central crown.  I'm still waiting on Seattle to live up to its potential, but I suppose the favourite for the AL West has to be Rangers.  

Potential AL wild card teams are the Toronto, Seattle, Detroit, and Baltimore.  That said, I can see Houston being competitive this year.

I think the Yankees are still a season or two away from making it back to the playoffs.  There are too many questions relating to their starting pitching.  Plus, the fact that they received literally no interest from other teams for Castro, Headley and Gardner screams dead weight.

The NL seems like it will be another predictable year, with the Nationals, Cubs, and Dodgers winning their respective divisions.  And the potential wild card spots will likely go to either the Giants, Mets, Pirates, or Cardinals.  

I agree with you about the Yankees as they are trying to get under the cap for the big FA class of 2018 but they did get calls on both Gardner and Headley, especially Gardner, but Cashman did not get the prospects he wanted so did not make the deals. As far as Castro is concerned I had not read that the Yanks were actively shopping him and I read all of the NY and NJ sports sections everyday which had nothing on him in particular so doubt they looking to seriously trying move him. At his age, talent and contract  I don't think they would have had much trouble trading him if they were serious about moving him. When Torres and some of the other young minor league infielders prospects are ready they may try to move Castro but there hs also been speculation  by the sports press here that they may move him to 3B.

Edit: so I just went to NJ.com, which is awesome for Yankee news, and they confirmed what you wrote about Castro Downzy but it doesn't sound like the pushed very hard just threw a line in the water to see if they got any big fish to bite.........

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/02/mlb_hot_stove_yankees_tried_trading_starlin_castro.html#incart_river_index

Edited by classicrawker

4 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Now that football is over time to start talking baseball with Spring training camps opening with Pitchers an Catchers reporting on Feb 13th  for most teams............

Yankees getting ready to sign NL co- HR leader (45hrs) Chris Carter to a 1 year, $3 million contract which will be  $4.5 million including a 50% luxury tax penalty..........The guy struck out 206 times last year so he is all or nothing but for that cheap money it is good insurance in case Holliday is  bust,  Bird does not get his stroke back immediately or T.Austin regresses.....I like this signing........

Great signing I think. Getting him and Holiday for next to nothing really more than replaces Arod. Yeah, lot of Ks, but there's a lot of lefties in the AL and these guys can do some damage.

Didi & Castro are a great middle IF. I went to an AZ Fall League game in Nov and saw Torres- all I can say is wow. He can flat out rake. I'm not big on Headley- I'd ship him if Torres or Castro could move to 3B. Then Bird at 1B- that could be an Allstar IF all the way around.

As always, it's about the rotation. Need Severino and Pineda to break through. I'm not optimistic on that...

• 4 weeks later...

David Price has a sore elbow and forearm...waiting to have his MRI's reviewed and getting a second opinion......Would be a huge blow to the Sox if he is out any length of time or worst case needs TJ surgery......only in his second year of a 7 year $217 mill contract.....If I was  GM I would never give a Pitcher a long term big money contract as there is just too much risk..........

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18805460/boston-red-sox-left-hander-david-price-get-second-opinion-sore-elbow

Edited by classicrawker

1 hour ago, classicrawker said:

David Price has a sore elbow and forearm...waiting to have his MRI's reviewed and getting a second opinion......Would be a huge blow to the Sox if he is out any length of time or worst case needs TJ surgery......only in his second year of a 7 year $217 mill contract.....If I was  GM I would never give a Pitcher a long term big money contract as there is just too much risk..........

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18805460/boston-red-sox-left-hander-david-price-get-second-opinion-sore-elbow

I never would either, but the Yankees hit pay dirt on 2 long deals- Mussina & Sabathia. CC missed a lot of time a couple years ago, but has been an absolute war horse. So far so good with Tanaka too, but he's always making me nervous with forearm/ elbow discomfort. But yeah- 7 years is an eternity for a starter.

Things are looking pretty good for the Bombers so far down in Tampa this spring though! We should be in the thick of it this year.

15 hours ago, classicrawker said:

You never like to see people hurt, but as a Jays fan, it certainly makes me happy the Jays didn't even bother to extend an offer last year.  

I've always felt that Price was never going to be the workhorse kind of pitcher unless he didn't change his pitching style.  He's got one or two extremely great pitches, and mostly lives and dies off his fast ball.  As he gets up in age he's not going to have the velocity and without a great wipe out pitch I'm not sure how effective he'd be.  

2 hours ago, downzy said:

You never like to see people hurt, but as a Jays fan, it certainly makes me happy the Jays didn't even bother to extend an offer last year.  

I've always felt that Price was never going to be the workhorse kind of pitcher unless he didn't change his pitching style.  He's got one or two extremely great pitches, and mostly lives and dies off his fast ball.  As he gets up in age he's not going to have the velocity and without a great wipe out pitch I'm not sure how effective he'd be.  

I am a die hard Yankee fan living in Red Sox Nation here in Massachusetts  but I would never wish an injury on a player but if history following the Yanks   has taught me anything is that is long term big $$$ contracts for pitchers  approaching or over 30 yrs old never end up well and that you can't buy a Championship. It is as if the Sox have become the exact thing Lucchino used to complain about the Yankees for  throwing money at older players to try to win now....they seem to have forgotten the success they hd when Epstein was GM and built a team with bunch of  role players who had great chemistry...........

I agree about Price...he is a talented pitcher but I never thought he was that #1 shutdown starter, like a Scherzer, Arrietta or Kershaw,  who can always be counted on to stop losing steaks and a pitcher other teams feared facing.

It is not easy to do but maybe he can adjust and become a finesse type of pitcher as he loses giddyup on his heater like Mussina did and looks like Sabbathia is becoming late in their careers..........

What are people's thoughts on the new automatic walk rule?

I know a lot of "purists" gripe about these kinds of changes to the game, but I've never understood why it's necessary to actually throw four half-hearted pitches.  It takes up time and really doesn't affect the atmosphere of the game, other than the boos a home team will give a visiting pitcher when the crowd realizes what's happening (which will likely happen anyway).

Also a big fan of the 30 second time limit placed on coaches to determine whether they want to use instant replay, though I wish they were limited to 10 or 15 seconds.  It should be a gut instinct whether to appeal a play on the field, not a call to some team official who can repeal the play and inform the coach whether a challenge should be issued.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 11:42 AM, downzy said:

What are people's thoughts on the new automatic walk rule?

I know a lot of "purists" gripe about these kinds of changes to the game, but I've never understood why it's necessary to actually throw four half-hearted pitches.  It takes up time and really doesn't affect the atmosphere of the game, other than the boos a home team will give a visiting pitcher when the crowd realizes what's happening (which will likely happen anyway).

Also a big fan of the 30 second time limit placed on coaches to determine whether they want to use instant replay, though I wish they were limited to 10 or 15 seconds.  It should be a gut instinct whether to appeal a play on the field, not a call to some team official who can repeal the play and inform the coach whether a challenge should be issued.  

I am o.k with going with the automatic intentional walk as it was a waste of time and does not really ahve any impact on the game or player stats...although Gary Sanchez of the Yankees almost hit a homer last year when a pitcher got a little to close to the strike zone and ended up with an sac fly but that is and exception

They may not have enough starting pitching to get to the playoffs, unless they pull the trigger on a Jose Quintana trade, but I am really excited about the Yankees young players. Sanchez is having an excellent spring and hit his 4th spring HR today and has thrown out most base stealers, Bird is hitting well with power as has Judge so far and they are just bursting with MLB prospects close to ML ready...

SS Gleyber Torres, who they got in the Chapman trade, is only 19 years old and won the Arizona Fall league batting title hitting over 0.400, is hitting over 0.400 this spring with extra base power and could be in the Bronx before the end of the year or next season at 2nd base pushing Castro to 3B.....they also finally have some decent starting pitching prospects who may make it to the big club at some time this season.......I have not been this excited about our young players since Jeter's rookie season in 1994

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, classicrawker said:

I am o.k with going with the automatic intentional walk as it was a waste of time and does not really ahve any impact on the game or player stats...although Gary Sanchez of the Yankees almost hit a homer last year when a pitcher got a little to close to the strike zone and ended up with an sac fly but that is and exception

They may not have enough starting pitching to get to the playoffs, unless they pull the trigger on a Jose Quintana trade, but I am really excited about the Yankees young players. Sanchez is having an excellent spring and hit his 4th spring HR today and has thrown out most base stealers, Bird is hitting well with power as has Judge so far and they are just bursting with MLB prospects close to ML ready...

SS Gleyber Torres, who they got in the Chapman trade, is only 19 years old and won the Arizona Fall league batting title hitting over 0.400, is hitting over 0.400 this spring with extra base power and could be in the Bronx before the end of the year or next season at 2nd base pushing Castro to 3B.....they also finally have some decent starting pitching prospects who may make it to the big club at some time this season.......I have not been this excited about our young players since Jeter's rookie season in 2004

Gleyber Torres is absolutely fuckin raking, same as he did in the Fall league. They say they won't take him north right away, but I don't know how you resist keeping him up when he's raking like this. 

Fuck it- trade Headley somewhere, put Castro at 3b, Torres at 2b, and see what happens. 

Frazier, Judge, Wade, the list goes on and on. Yup- good times ahead real soon, and for years to come, in the Bronx!

2 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Tanaka and 2 other Yankee pitchers no hit the Tigers today.....I know it is only spring training but impressive none the less IMHO.....

Tanaka has been un-fuckin-real so far. Pineda had a lights out start this week too. Best record in the Grapefruit League, most HR, etc... We will see how it goes starting next month, but fuck- Let's Go Yankees!

Didi Gregorious injured his throwing shoulder at the WBC.......the doc says it is not a big deal but he going for an MRI this week...shame if he has a serious injury as he was blossoming into an Allstar.....

They have some options but Cash says Torres will not go North with the team.....smart move as there is no need to rush him....

Great spring for the Bombers andso much young talent....keep an eye on the OF McKinney as he is tearing it up....he was one of the kids we got from the Cubbies for Chapman and wad a former 1st round draft pick of the A's......only 22 yrs old so he will be going to AA or possibly AAA Scranton and may finally be living up to his potential.......

Edited by classicrawker

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Deeds took me to my first ever baseball game today. Miami Marlins v Atlanta Braves. The Braves won, we had a fun time and I feel very American now.

IMG_3817.JPG

Awesome! Too bad the Braves won though...I am a Marlins fan hence my username. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The AL East is one crazy division.  If the Jays beat the Yankees tomorrow all five teams will be playing .500 ball or better.  

AL & NL Central divisions are defined by mediocrity so far.

NL East and AL West are turning into a joke with both the Nationals and Astros running away in their respective divisions filled with terrible teams.

Besides the AL East, the NL West seems competitive with decent playing ball clubs.

Still early in the season.

Happy to see Toronto supporting the team through a rocky start.  Jays are the first in the AL to reach 1 million in attendance.