GNR bootleg from Tokyo 09

I wanted to share this very good quality bootleg from 09 to hear thoughts on Axl's voice etc.

The set list is in the first comment below, so you can hear whichever song you prefer

Fun to hear:

Edited by valengf

Thanks God a DVD never came out of this. Prostitute is one of Axl's worst performances ever. Well, one of GnR's worst performances actually. There are only two good things about that performance - Frank, that did very well, much better than I expected, and Ron, that did Buckethead's parts justice live. DJ was the biggest traiwreck, as always, closely followed by Axl. Catcher had a great performance, bar Axl. The best thing about Axl here was his background vocals heard clearly - at least they're not lead vocals :lol:

Axl is so inconsistent at this show, the lows are pretty bad (Prostitute for example) but the highs are amazing (Nightrain, Nice Boys). A lot of the newer songs take him a minute or so to get comfortable with, like Shacklers and TWAT but by the end he sounds great. The first few Canadian shows were like that too, but better each night, and we know what he sounded like by the end of that tour.

That fucking Nightrain, man.

Thanks God a DVD never came out of this. Prostitute is one of Axl's worst performances ever. Well, one of GnR's worst performances actually. There are only two good things about that performance - Frank, that did very well, much better than I expected, and Ron, that did Buckethead's parts justice live. DJ was the biggest traiwreck, as always, closely followed by Axl. Catcher had a great performance, bar Axl. The best thing about Axl here was his background vocals heard clearly - at least they're not lead vocals :lol:

I agree that lows are fucked in the '09 Axl voice'

Currently listening to this now, and I think this must be the only time that Axl sings "What I thought was beautiful, Is only memories" like he does on the studio version, hitting the really high note.

I guess he also did that in osaka 2002.

Must love showing off in Japan. That's impressive though that he can still do it 7 years later.

Currently listening to this now, and I think this must be the only time that Axl sings "What I thought was beautiful, Is only memories" like he does on the studio version, hitting the really high note.

I guess he also did that in osaka 2002.

Detroit 2002 as well. First time I heard the song and he hit that note. It was awesome.

He did it the at the HOB 2001 show

i love all the random jokes and talking of Axl and Tommy in this recordings, Patience is a puss song. lol and the weird evil laugh during better al that shit is entertaining as fuck, and also makes me understand why bandmembers say he should be a stand up comedian if he wasn't a musician

Aren't the asian '09 gigs the first time DJ Ashba played with Axl? They rehearsed before but Axl didn't show until the live gigs. I do appreciate that they play CD in full but you can tell that Axl struggles with the lyrics and the song performances are shaky. I still would have like to have been there, but listening to these recordings I've heard better when they were a bit farther into the 2010 tour.

Edited by Bumblefeet

i love all the random jokes and talking of Axl and Tommy in this recordings, Patience is a puss song. lol and the weird evil laugh during better al that shit is entertaining as fuck, and also makes me understand why bandmembers say he should be a stand up comedian if he wasn't a musician

"Ronald Reagan was in the exorcist?"

"We got Maddy, into TWAT, into patience, and into ATM City." (Or whatever order they were in)

"That sounds like a book"

"It's a good book."

I too liked the dialogue in between songs.

Aren't the asian '09 gigs the first time DJ Ashba played with Axl? They rehearsed before but Axl didn't show until the live gigs. I do appreciate that they play CD in full but you can tell that Axl struggles with the lyrics and the song performances are shaky. I still would have like to have been there, but listening to these recordings I've heard better when they were a bit farther into the 2010 tour.

Rhiad was rehearsed but they don't pull it off because DJ can't capable of playing the solos (he admit in on a reddit q & a)