The recommend a random album thread

Towelie

Pick an album you really like (doesn't have to be an all time favourite or anything), and give a brief description of its merits, listing three key songs for anyone who's interested to check out.

Band: SOiL

Album: Whole

Year: 2013

41Ey9EheCAL._SX425_.jpg

Description: The return of Ryan McCombs - one of the best modern rock singers around. For fans of powerful up-tempo rock with strong melodies and grovelly vocals. Nothing too heavy, but some cool riffs and killer melodies that get better with repeated listens. Quite commercial without sounding like it's pandering to the teenage Kerrang market (ala Sixx:AM). Much better than their big breakthrough album "Scars."

Key songs: Almagamation, Way Gone, Ugly

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Cover_smile_you%27re_dying.jpg / Royal_to_the_Bone_album_cover.jpg

Description: The best Dutch punk band that ever existed and one of my favourite bands. They started in 1989 and decided to quit in 2012 going out in a blaze of glory with a great farewell tour. These guys are pure passion and energy really, especially live. Smile...You're Dying contains re-recordings of their first 4 albums, but with much better production. Royal To The Bone is a compilation of their later work. And yes, there are a few songs overlap between them.

Key songs:

SYD: Break The Public Peace, Fistfuckparty At 701, United Scum, I'm Not Deaf... I'm Just Ignoring You

RTTB: We're All Fucked Up, Fistful Of Ideals, Scapegoat Revolution, SINema, Nothing's Wrong

Odd song out: Bag Full Of Stories. Completely out of character and I love it to bits.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

Dropkick_Murphys_-_The_Gangs_All_Here-CD

Dropkick Murphys - The Gang's All Here

You probably know I'm Shipping Up To Boston and possibly a few other Dropkick songs here and there, and maybe even are familiar with The Warrior's Code or The Meanest of Times, but The Gang's All Here shows Dropkick at what I believe was their best as they began their transition from pretty much a pure punk band to more of a Celtic-rock-with-punk-mixed-in band in 1999. Their second overall album and first release with current lead singer Al Barr, the album begins with the great one-two punch of Blood and Whiskey and Pipebomb on Lansdowne and hardly lets up until the title track closes things out around 45 minutes later. If you've been looking to give Dropkick more of a shot beyond the hits, this is a great place to start.

Essential Tracks: Blood and Whiskey, Upstarts and Broken Hearts, Curse of a Fallen Soul, Wheel of Misfortune

Edited by Mansin Humanity
  • Like 3