DJ Ashba gave free food and money in LV for homeless people... what is your opinion about this?

Couple of things:

-DJ did a good thing by taking time to get some hungry people some food

-DJ comes off like a douche for filming and editing that video to come off as it did

-The ALS ice bucket challenge raised over $100M, anyone that bitches about it deserves a pop in the sneeze bump

-SoulMonster (who I usually enjoy) comes off as douchier than DJ in this thread

Thanks, but my contributions to this thread have all been sarcastic.

That was painfully obvious.

When was the last time some of you helped the homeless? Or donated to a charity? Or helped make someone's Christmas a little brighter?

Why would I have to tell YOU? See, not everyone helps the homeless or donates to charity to be recognized.

I'm betting the people who are dissing DJ for his generous and thoughtful gesture do NOT donate at all and have no regard whatsoever for people who are less fortunate or in need. If they did, there is no way they would be making tasteless jokes and ridiculing someone who is trying to help those who need it the most. Many celebrities don't use their fame and success to help others. DJ does - and I tip my hat to him for trying to do so.

As for publicizing it - If you have built up a fan following and have a chance to use your success to inspire fans to help the homeless in their towns, then that's awesome. How can you possibly see this as negative?

….. Of course - I'm guessing many of the people who are criticizing DJ in this thread - and acting like jackasses in general to get attention on a music forum - are sad little people who likely live in their Mom's basement, work at McDonalds, and don't have a clue what it's like to be homeless or in need. Clearly, they have no fan following to inspire and never will. They have Mom and Dad to bail them out and take cheap shots at people like DJ who are trying to inspire fans to help those who are less fortunate. Just shameful and an embarrassment to GNR fans in general.

When was the last time some of you helped the homeless? Or donated to a charity? Or helped make someone's Christmas a little brighter?

Why would I have to tell YOU? See, not everyone helps the homeless or donates to charity to be recognized.

I'm betting the people who are dissing DJ for his generous and thoughtful gesture do NOT donate at all and have no regard whatsoever for people who are less fortunate or in need. If they did, there is no way they would be making tasteless jokes and ridiculing someone who is trying to help those who need it the most. Many celebrities don't use their fame and success to help others. DJ does - and I tip my hat to him for trying to do so.

As for publicizing it - If you have built up a fan following and have a chance to use your success to inspire fans to help the homeless in their towns, then that's awesome. How can you possibly see this as negative?

….. Of course - I'm guessing many of the people who are criticizing DJ in this thread - and acting like jackasses in general to get attention on a music forum - are sad little people who likely live in their Mom's basement, work at McDonalds, and don't have a clue what it's like to be homeless or in need. Clearly, they have no fan following to inspire and never will. They have Mom and Dad to bail them out and take cheap shots at people like DJ who are trying to inspire fans to help those who are less fortunate. Just shameful and an embarrassment to GNR fans in general.

And you could be betting wrong. What does that have to do with anything? Do you or will you put everyone in one sack based on what you want to "bet" on? Nope, it's not how it works.

I want to understand your point of view but this last post is making it very hard. Nobody is trying to ridicule DJ for doing what he did, it's a good gesture yes, who is going to deny that? I would say most of those homeless people used the $100 to buy smack but who cares, right? It's about the good gesture. Now, the issue is this, good gestures get lost the moment you're loud about it. The "look at me! I'm doing this, make sure to document what I'm doing!" is definitely what kills the good intentions he had.

Let's not delude ourselves, it's hard to think that the video was made to inspire others, but... let's say for the sake of the argument it was. I'd like to think that the international banks wait until the last moment of charitable televised events like "The Teleton" to donate money because they want to "inspire" people and not because they want to promote themselves by giving 1/4 of what they're going to earn by making their donation public and televised. Yep, I would really like to think it is like that but I know, it isn't.

Of course, you can guess whatever you want and I can definitely guess that people who criticize those who criticized DJ are acting like jackasses in general to get attention on a music forum - are sad little people who likely live in their Mom's basement, work at McDonalds, and don't have a clue what it's like to be critical of one action or another - without being disrespectful. Clearly, these people have no fan following or are trying their best to regain what they once had. Claiming they would never post in the forum again but returning to make a baseless pointless accusations of those they don't know in real life. I guess, their sad little pathetic real lives are so empty that there's nothing better for them to do than posting like they have some authority around here just to be applauded and/or liked by those who are in the same desperate need. Like you said, and this is ironic, just shameful and an embarrassment to GNR fans in general.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 3

Isn't working at McDonald's and living in your mom's basement like one step from homelessness? So to say that those people have no idea seems a little harsh. Why kick people when they're almost all the way down? Unless you don't care about the less fortunate, of course. :lol:

• Like 1

Couple of things:

-DJ did a good thing by taking time to get some hungry people some food

-DJ comes off like a douche for filming and editing that video to come off as it did

-The ALS ice bucket challenge raised over $100M, anyone that bitches about it deserves a pop in the sneeze bump

-SoulMonster (who I usually enjoy) comes off as douchier than DJ in this thread

Thanks, but my contributions to this thread have all been sarcastic.

That was painfully obvious.

Ah, gotcha :)

Now, the issue is this, good gestures get lost the moment you're loud about it. The "look at me! I'm doing this, make sure to document what I'm doing!" is definitely what kills the good intentions he had.

Heh, no, the good gesture of donating food to homeless people did not "get lost" just because Dj posted a video about it. You might be so focussed on dissing Dj that to you the good gesture got lost because you found a new way to critize him which overshadowed what he actually did, but to the homeless, and to everyone else that might be inspired to be charitable to those less fortunate, the good gesture was CERTAINLY NOT lost.

And his good intentions did NOT get killed because he documented his good deed. The good deed is still a good deed. It must be possible even for people who dislike Dj to separate the two issues. Homeless people still appreciated the gesture. Again, you might dislike it and think it ruined what he did, but you are in the fortunate position of probably having a full belly, money in your account, and nothing better to do than to critize a musician for posting a video of helping the poor, you are not the recipient of the charity and frankly have no fucking right to say that was he did wasn't good. I am sure if we asked the homeless they wouldn't give two fucks about whether the charity was documented and posted on Youtube. They have bigger things to worry about, like where to get today's meal.

Now, the issue is this, good gestures get lost the moment you're loud about it. The "look at me! I'm doing this, make sure to document what I'm doing!" is definitely what kills the good intentions he had.

Heh, no, the good gesture of donating food to homeless people did not "get lost" just because Dj posted a video about it. You might be so focussed on dissing Dj that to you the good gesture got lost because you found a new way to critize him which overshadowed what he actually did, but to the homeless, and to everyone else that might be inspired to be charitable to those less fortunate, the good gesture was CERTAINLY NOT lost.

And his good intentions did NOT get killed because he documented his good deed. The good deed is still a good deed. It must be possible even for people who dislike Dj to separate the two issues. Homeless people still appreciated the gesture. Again, you might dislike it and think it ruined what he did, but you are in the fortunate position of probably having a full belly, money in your account, and nothing better to do than to critize a musician for posting a video of helping the poor, you are not the recipient of the charity and frankly have no fucking right to say that was he did wasn't good. I am sure if we asked the homeless they wouldn't give two fucks about whether the charity was documented and posted on Youtube. They have bigger things to worry about, like where to get today's meal.

If I was to offer a criticism it would be that I doubt his motives for doing what he did. I mean it was certainly a good deed and Im sure that he was genuinely trying to help these people. I would just question his primary motivation for this random act of kindness.

I suspect that the shameless self-promotion aspect was probably a greater motivating factor than simply the inclination to do a good deed. I dont even take issue with him publicising it but when you start adding weepy music and fucking slow motion vignettes to things? Yeah, gimme a break. :rolleyes:

In short its just more of the same Hogan ears, police helicopter ride, shouting at old ladies, look at meeeeeeeeeeeee douchebaggery that weve come to expect from DJ and that kinda takes the shine off it to an extent.

But yes, I agree that the people that ended up $100 richer with full bellies probably dont give a shit about any of that.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 2

The goodness of the deed itself is way overblown. Take all the video and music and Ashba's a douch shenanigans away from the whole thing. How much is $100 going to change a homeless person's life? Pretty much not at all. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, but some perspective is in order here. He didn't do some great thing.

Those above have already covered how I feel on this. Yes, the people he helped were certainly grateful and happier at that moment. No dispute. Was the gesture nice? Sure. I like that he actually hugged the people; a lot of folks are scared of the homeless and would never do that. Was the video to "inspire" others, primarily? There's a bridge I'd like to sell you if you believe that. Did he even add, say, a hotline number or web address at the end of that video or in the comments so people knew where to look for information?

If God forbid you were homeless, and someone came along and made a show of videotaping themselves giving you money or food, how would you feel about it? I guess that's the question. I've volunteered at soup kitchens and the vast majority of those folks will turn their heads away if they notice so much as a cell phone around them. They do not want to be on camera at all.

DJ's getting a lot of hits on YouTube for this video. Is the money going to the homeless people he filmed? Or to a homeless charity in general? If it is, I'll absolutely change my feelings on this. Otherwise I still feel that the taping was unnecessary.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

Those above have already covered how I feel on this. Yes, the people he helped were certainly grateful and happier at that moment. No dispute. Was the gesture nice? Sure. Was the video to "inspire" others, primarily? There's a bridge I'd like to see you if you believe that. Did he even add, say, a hotline number or web address at the end of that video or in the comments so people knew where to look for information?

If God forbid you were homeless, and someone came along and made a show of videotaping themselves giving you money or food, how would you feel about it? I guess that's the question. I've volunteered at soup kitchens and the vast majority of those folks will turn their heads away if they notice so much as a cell phone around them. They do not want to be on camera at all.

DJ's getting a lot of hits on YouTube for this video. Is the money going to the homeless people he filmed? Or to a homeless charity in general? If it is, I'll absolutely change my feelings on this. Otherwise I still feel that the taping was unnecessary.

Great post.

Those above have already covered how I feel on this. Yes, the people he helped were certainly grateful and happier at that moment. No dispute. Was the gesture nice? Sure. Was the video to "inspire" others, primarily? There's a bridge I'd like to see you if you believe that. Did he even add, say, a hotline number or web address at the end of that video or in the comments so people knew where to look for information?

Great post.

Thank you. :)

Otherwise I still feel that the taping was unnecessary.

I think almost everybody feels the taping was unnecessary :shrugs:

The difference between posters here lies more in whether you get so obsessed with the self-promotion part that you are turned blind to the fact that Dj did a good thing. When people feel it is more important to not come off as a self-promoting douche than to help others in need, then I feel that speaks of a shallowness that can only come from never ever having been in a situation remotely like what homeless people go through, or that it suggests cognitive abilities that just shut down as soon as they see Dj.

To me, I just wish MORE people would start doing kind things and filming it...it is still vastly better than not doing them.

Hmmm yeah, an ex-friend of mine did the same thing not that long ago, I found it pretty low to be honest.

Look, the gesture is good. Helping homeless people is a nice thing to do (anyway that's my take on it, some people say that won't change their situation no matter what and that it won't motivate them gettin' a job, but imo if it can at least help them make it through another day, it's a good thing to do).

Now, filming it... it's garbage. When I make a gift to someone, even if it's not for christmas or a birthday, I don't film it. It's just a gift. I don't care if you're homeless or a pal of mine, it's the same logic. Why would I film it? To show people how generous I am? Or to spread a good message? I think it really is a bit of both if someone needs to put it on video, it's to remind you that you did a good thing and to show to others that "you're a good person".

I can say it here as nobody knows my true identity on this board: I helped homeless people a lot, still do when I get the chance. Sometimes it's just money, sometimes it's a meal, sometimes it's both. But I don't tell other people, I don't film it, I don't need an ego boost by helping people. People should help other people in need more often

without having to be told to be good to them, it should be natural, and it should come from you. Not from what other people may think of it, not if you're going to be praised. It's just you and your guts.

I may come as a bit harsh saying this, but it's truly my take on it. DJ did do a good thing. 2 thumbs up. More people should do it if they feel like it. But it makes him look like an ass to me (not that anybody cares). He's no jesus christ, I could also argue that it's pretty low to film these guys when DJ clearly had a shower and had his fancy clothes when the other people were... well, homeless. What does this video show, really... that DJ looks cool, that he helped them, and that the other guys looked like hell, and you pity them when you look at this. I think this particularly, does not give the good message.

BUT, the action in itself is good. I encourage DJ to do more of that... and not put it on tape. And not especially on Christmas. Do it whenever you can if you want to help them so much and don't fucking film it, makes you look like a fucking ass DJ. Not hard feelings, I'm not a DJ hater, I think he's done a fairly good job in Gn'R.

I think it's totally stupid to do that.

• Like 1