DJ Ashba gave free food and money in LV for homeless people... what is your opinion about this?

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Great thing to do but making a video about it ruins it all. You can argue it's raising awareness sure but I think in most cases it's just self promo.

Loads of 'celebrities' do charity work and don't need a write up in the media about it. For example, my cousin is a nurse in the main children's hospital in Ireland she has named out countless of stars who have shown up, un announced, totally low key and hang out with the kids regularly. And so many show up on Christmas Day to surprise the kids with presents.

You never hear about any of that in the news.

• Like 1

Loads of 'celebrities' do charity work and don't need a write up in the media about it. For example, my cousin is a nurse in the main children's hospital in Ireland she has named out countless of stars who have shown up, un announced, totally low key and hang out with the kids regularly.

Exactly! Jimmy Saville used to do that all the time over here and most of it's only just making the news now. :lol:

• Like 1

Great thing to do but making a video about it ruins it all. You can argue it's raising awareness sure but I think in most cases it's just self promo.

Loads of 'celebrities' do charity work and don't need a write up in the media about it. For example, my cousin is a nurse in the main children's hospital in Ireland she has named out countless of stars who have shown up, un announced, totally low key and hang out with the kids regularly. And so many show up on Christmas Day to surprise the kids with presents.

With all due respect SLAA, DJ's gesture wasn't "in the news." This isn't Angelina Jolie hiring a professional film crew and reporters from major news organizations to follow her around third world countries. This is a musician with a handheld camera or iphone who decided to shoot a video for his fans and put it on youtube and his website for his fans. The only people seeing this video are his fans and people on GNR forums. How is that self-promoting - and to who? The fans he already has? He clearly went to the trouble of making a little video - and giving fans a new free track - to inspire them to give to the homeless. .... Do you honestly believe that many of those celebrities who visited the hospital you mentioned - didn't - heaven forbid - mention it on their fan websites too? You wouldn't see it "in the news" - you'd see it if you were a fan visiting their websites.

As others have mentioned in the thread - if this was Axl helping the homeless and putting up a new live track under the video - people would be dancing in the aisles and praising him for his thoughtful gesture and new FREE track for fans!! It's just so ridiculous that people - who don't like DJ in GNR - use any excuse they can to steamroll over him - even when he's doing a generous, thoughtful act to help the less fortunate and encouraging his fans to do the same.

Any time a celebrity can use their success to encourage their fans and followers to help the needy is a good thing. DJ did that. He showed that making even a small donation can make a difference in people's lives. While I was never personally a huge fan of DJ's, I gained a lot of respect for him after seeing this video.

Edited by madison
  • Like 3

With all due respect SLAA, DJ's gesture wasn't "in the news." This isn't Angelina Jolie hiring a professional film crew and reporters from major news organizations to follow her around third world countries. This is a musician with a handheld camera or iphone who decided to shoot a video for his fans and put it on youtube and his website for his fans. The only people seeing this video are his fans and people on GNR forums. How is that self-promoting - and to who? The fans he already has? He clearly went to the trouble of making a little video - and giving fans a new free track - to inspire them to give to the homeless. .... Do you honestly believe that many of those celebrities who visited the hospital you mentioned - didn't - heaven forbid - mention it on their fan websites too? You wouldn't see it "in the news" - you'd see it if you were a fan visiting their websites.

As others have mentioned in the thread - if this was Axl helping the homeless and putting up a new live track under the video - people would be dancing in the aisles and praising him for his thoughtful gesture and new FREE track for fans!! It's just so ridiculous that people - who don't like DJ in GNR - use any excuse they can to steamroll over him - even when he's doing a generous, thoughtful act to help the less fortunate and encouraging his fans to do the same.

Any time a celebrity can use their success to encourage their fans and followers to help the needy is a good thing. DJ did that. He showed that making even a small donation can make a difference in people's lives. While I was never personally a huge fan of DJ's, I gained a lot of respect for him after seeing this video.

Well said, Madison.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I'm not complaining about the act itself at all. It's great and people benefit from it.

DJ Ashba isn't an A list celebrity and wouldn't get the media write up Angelina Jolie would get. He wishes!

We have heard here and there from people that Axl has done some charity work, again it's great, but he doesn't shout it from the rooftops. (that's the thing). If he did, I'd think it's the exact same: if it's being done to raise awareness? great! but if it's being done to self promote then it's pretty sick.

(I never said DJ was definitely doing it to self promote. I don't know his real intention, no one does only him).

Edited by Sleeping Like An Angel

Oh FFS not this shit again. The members of the forum didn't put this vid up so there is no reason to attack them for having an opinion claiming they don't donate, live in Mom's basement, etc etc.

It's like copy and paste from a few year's ago, the time away brought us nothing new, surprise, surprise.

Actually, it isn't. There's no ban hammer to silence those they disagree with. :)

This is an easy one guys,

He helped people? Fucking awesome!

He made a cheesy video showing it? :scared:

Done

Mods - can you just close this topic with ZoSo's post?

Everybody else..........jeez, did you all have a bad end to 2013? So much anger. It's OK to have a difference of opinion without going all Rambo crazy on everybody else. Talk to people on here like you'd talk to him if you were both sitting at a table having a beer and lunch together.

in 2014

nope, the ending was cool

Btw you're not a mod here, so don't act like a mod....

I see anger over at M's board because of magisme's posts (and on other occasions because of you threefinger/finger/groghan/apollo) but i have not seen any anger here. You're implying bullshit AGAIN groghan

Btw you are in no position to tell people how to post, talk etc.... again, you're not a mod here, stop acting like a mod

Edited by Motivation

pls go to read only mode again, you're twisting shit, because of poor wording and wrote a tl;dr tirade...

I started to think that Axl's rant on you was fucking glorious

This is an easy one guys,

He helped people? Fucking awesome!

He made a cheesy video showing it? :scared:

Done

Mods - can you just close this topic with ZoSo's post?

Everybody else..........jeez, did you all have a bad end to 2013? So much anger. It's OK to have a difference of opinion without going all Rambo crazy on everybody else. Talk to people on here like you'd talk to him if you were both sitting at a table having a beer and lunch together.

in 2014

nope, the ending was cool

Btw you're not a mod here, so don't act like a mod....

I see anger over at M's board because of magisme's posts (and on other occasions because of you threefinger/finger/groghan/apollo) but i have not seen any anger here. You're implying bullshit AGAIN groghan

Btw you are in no position to tell people how to post, talk etc.... again, you're not a mod here, stop acting like a mod

Since I'm not a mod I'll just respond by saying........LOL Crashdiet.

You were banned here, why come back again?

How about if I show you in this very topic where people were "angry" - proving that you are wrong or lying.........then you'll honor the Mods decision to ban you (since the Mod thing is so important to you?).

Oh, and for giggles.

You tell me what to do and how to post.........while telling me I'm not a Mod and to stop telling people how to post.

Take a few minutes and let that sink in.

P.S.

Stop getting so angry over what people post. It's a rock n roll forum. You shouldn't take this stuff so seriously. Bad for your health.

pls go to read only mode again, you're twisting shit, because of poor wording and wrote a tl;dr tirade...

I started to think that Axl's rant on you was fucking glorious

Wow. Angry much?

I remember Axl visited some kids hospital in London (I think) and it was kept low key. Think it was kids with cancer.

You would give DJ the benefit of the doubt only for his long track history of shameless dipshit attention whoring.