Duff on 'The Jasta Show' podcast

Duff and Jamey talk mostly about the business side of music for 75 minutes. Some interesting notes from Duff regarding GNR:

• When talking about illegally downloading music, Duff and Jamey talk about how UYI 1 & 2 wouldn't have been made if AFD hadn't been so successful commercially
  • The UYI World Tour had 130 crew members and it took 2 years for the tour to break even
  • Talked about how at the time GNR selling out the 250 capacity Troubador was when Duff believed 'he made it'
  • Loaded started while Duff was in school at Seattle University (others may have known that, I didn't)
  • Duff has more fun playing music now than he ever has before
  • Axl tried to have Hatebreed thrown out of their dressing room at the Download Festival because it was too close to his dressing room, but Sebastian stepped in and said "do you know who the fuck that is? That's fucking Hatebreed man" and so Axl let them stay and they were the only band allowed to stay
  • Jamey says that people like Axl are at the point where it is so difficult dealing with leeches and people swarming him that he understands why Axl wanted to clear Hatebreed out of the dressing room
  • Duff can't go to the merch table for any of his bands anymore because people flip out; he said that when Loaded did Meet & Greets it paid for their crews' rent money
  • Says that its no one's business what money anyone makes
  • Black Flag played in Duff's living room back in the day
  • Duff became obsessed with the VR message boards on their website, in particular one poster. Then later on while on tour in Europe he met the poster and it was a 14 year old kid
  • Duff talks about GNR taking Body Count out on tour with them which was their choice. He said that big bands like GNR can take out any bands they want and get away with it, smaller bands need to bring out bands who will help sell tickets
  • The Jane's Addiction performances were a great experience for him
  • Duff took the subway with his daughter's band to Brooklyn from Manhattan a few months ago and was worried that Brooklyn would be the Brooklyn he remembered from 1987 with GNR
  • He says that playing Madison Square Garden is a 'prestige gig', not a money making gig. NYC is the most expensive city in the world to play in a band
  • Duff plugs the new Walking Papers album and his new book
  • Like 4

Thanks for this.

• He says that playing Madison Square Garden is a 'prestige gig', not a money making gig. NYC is the most expensive city in the world to play in a band

Shame he didn't last longer in Jane's, I liked a few of the songs he cowrote on The Great Escape Artist.

That's interesting about MSG, I wonder what the profit margin is on a sold out show there for a band who can charge a lot per seat like Fleetwood Mac.

Nice!!!

What's that shit about being obsessed with a forum poster? interesting ^^

It is pretty funny. He said that this one poster was dead on about some of VR's decision making both musically and business wise. Duff gained respect for this poster after that. He always checked the VR board for this poster's reactions to what the band was doing and it bothered him when the poster had negative feedback. Then whey VR were on tour in Europe he was talking to fans and a 14 year old kid was talking to him who told Duff that he was that poster from the message board. After that Duff stopped reading message boards altogether. His words if I recall were "I was a 39-40 year old man who was obsessed with a 14 year old's opinion on my band. I stopped reading message boards after that"

• Like 1

Nice!!!

It is pretty funny. He said that this one poster was dead on about some of VR's decision making both musically and business wise. Duff gained respect for this poster after that. He always checked the VR board for this poster's reactions to what the band was doing and it bothered him when the poster had negative feedback. Then whey VR were on tour in Europe he was talking to fans and a 14 year old kid was talking to him who told Duff that he was that poster from the message board. After that Duff stopped reading message boards altogether. His words if I recall were "I was a 39-40 year old man who was obsessed with a 14 year old's opinion on my band. I stopped reading message boards after that"

Oh. That's weird. Lol.

It's just like Axl obsessed with Madison, Xozi and Renato. So cool! ^^

Nice!!!

Oh. That's weird. Lol.

It's just like Axl obsessed with Madison, Xozi and Renato. So cool! ^^

I think ppl tend to use the word "obsessed" way too easily. In this case, I'm almost positive Duff was doing that (using the term loosely) and he didn't actually have an obsession with said poster. I'm sure you know what I mean. As for Axl, I don't think it's really fair to say he had an obsession with an ex-forum member based on one post blasting they ass. And since I'm sure I'm probably skating on thin ice on this subject with forum rules and all, I'll speak in a hypothetical sense: I'd be ripshit-pissed, too and want to blast someone if they kept constantly helping to spread rumors and lies about me, too. Anybody can talk shit, but to be doing it to the point where it gets your band bad coverage in the media; well, that fucking sucks.

I think ppl tend to use the word "obsessed" way too easily. In this case, I'm almost positive Duff was doing that (using the term loosely) and he didn't actually have an obsession with said poster. I'm sure you know what I mean. As for Axl, I don't think it's really fair to say he had an obsession with an ex-forum member based on one post blasting they ass. And since I'm sure I'm probably skating on thin ice on this subject with forum rules and all, I'll speak in a hypothetical sense: I'd be ripshit-pissed, too and want to blast someone if they kept constantly helping to spread rumors and lies about me, too. Anybody can talk shit, but to be doing it to the point where it gets your band bad coverage in the media; well, that fucking sucks.

I was kidding, hey!

Of course, there's no way they are obsessed with anyone from here or any other board. Actually, I guess it's the other way around ;)

Duff and Jamey talk mostly about the business side of music for 75 minutes. Some interesting notes from Duff regarding GNR:

• When talking about illegally downloading music, Duff and Jamey talk about how UYI 1 & 2 wouldn't have been made if AFD hadn't been so successful commercially

• The UYI World Tour had 130 crew members and it took 2 years for the tour to break even

• Talked about how at the time GNR selling out the 250 capacity Troubador was when Duff believed 'he made it'

• Loaded started while Duff was in school at Seattle University (others may have known that, I didn't)

• Axl tried to have Hatebreed thrown out of their dressing room at the Download Festival because it was too close to his dressing room, but Sebastian stepped in and said "do you know who the fuck that is? That's fucking Hatebreed man" and so Axl let them stay and they were the only band allowed to stay

• Jamey says that people like Axl are at the point where it is so difficult dealing with leeches and people swarming him that he understands why Axl wanted to clear Hatebreed out of the dressing room

• Duff can't go to the merch table for any of his bands anymore because people flip out; he said that when Loaded did Meet & Greets it paid for their crews' rent money

• Duff became obsessed with the VR message boards on their website, in particular one poster. Then later on while on tour in Europe he met the poster and it was a 14 year old kid

• Duff talks about GNR taking Body Count out on tour with them which was their choice. He said that big bands like GNR can take out any bands they want and get away with it, smaller bands need to bring out bands who will help sell tickets

• Duff took the subway with his daughter's band to Brooklyn from Manhattan a few months ago and was worried that Brooklyn would be the Brooklyn he remembered from 1987 with GNR

I only listened to half at work but he also talked about them auditing Geffen and finding something like 8 million in unpaid royalties.. and having to do it every couple of years after that. They only settled for about a third of what they were owed.

• Like 1

I only listened to half at work but he also talked about them auditing Geffen and finding something like 8 million in unpaid royalties.. and having to do it every couple of years after that. They only settled for about a third of what they were owed.

Yes that's right, thanks for posting that. I was at work listening to it as well and forgot to note that. Basically the record label screws GNR out of money every few years and it comes down to UMG telling them "we owe you for 3 million in album sales? How about we give you royalties for 2 million in sales and we'll call it even". I think Duff was inferring that it is more costly to bring them to court for the full 3 million in sales than to just accept the 2 million.

I was kidding, hey!

Of course, there's no way they are obsessed with anyone from here or any other board. Actually, I guess it's the other way around ;)

Oh yea that's true lol sorry bout that good point

Nice!!!

this is great

thanks for the transcribe

Having grown up a CT hardcore kid whose favorite band was GnR this was the most amazing thing ever! Awesome.

Haha that is awesome man. I was a NJ hardcore kid and I was hooked on Hatebreed the first time I saw them live in 1998 when they opened for Earth Crisis. Not sure when you were around, but I was going to shows every other weekend in NJ from late 1996-1999. I lived for shows from Hatebreed, E-Town Concrete, Earth Crisis, VOD, Downset, Fury of Five, Crown of Thornz, 25 Ta Life, One King Down, Shutdown, Snapcase, For the Love Of and God Forbid. Believe it or not, God Forbid actually played my high school graduation party in 1999. This was before they got 'big'. My friends and I chipped in and paid them $300 to play. It was hilarious.

I was so pumped when Tim from VOD joined Loaded to sing You're Crazy. My dream come true. Hearing Jamey interview Duff in this podcast was amazing.