Duff to release new book "How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)" May 12th

KeyserSoze

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-to-release-how-to-be-a-man-book-in-may/

Duff McKagan will release a new book, "How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)", on May 12 via Da Capo Press.
Speaking to TotalRock last year about the upcoming book, McKagan said: "I had a column for the Weekly for five years, and there was one column that was called 'How To Be A Man', and it was kind of tongue in cheek; it was really tongue in cheek. And I got a book deal from that column. It's a how-to guide of things I've learned about life — being a dad, being a husband and being in a rock band. And it's, like, a city guide in it, but a very tongue-in-cheek city guide; like, how I see cities. It's got all kinds of stuff. And other stories. And hopefully it's gonna be a funny book."
McKagan is one of the most respected survivors in hard rock. In "How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)", he shares the wisdom he gained on the path to superstardom — from his time with GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER to getting sober after a life of hard living to achieving his personal American Dream of marrying a supermodel, raising a family, and experiencing what it's like to be winked at by Prince.
An interviewer's favorite, McKagan's wisdom has been sought out on everything from financial planning and relationships to surviving the summer festival circuit and escaping a military coup. Expanding on his popular weekly columns in Seattle Weekly, Playboy.com and ESPN.com, McKagan equips readers with the knowledge they need to rock fatherhood, manage their money, and remain a good dude in spite of it all.

duffmckaganhowtobeaman.jpg

truly believe the next book Duff writes is going to be entitled: "How i became GNR bassist again for a month (and other spaghetti incidents)"

Edited by KeyserSoze

Can't fuckin' wait to read it. His first one was good. It wasn't as funny or insane as Slash's book, but it was very interesting to read as a Guns fan.

I think Duff will have a bright future as a writer. Thanks for posting.

This is more of a compilation of articles, but writers who put books like this out usually include stuff that was edited down or never before seen. I'm sure some things are going to repeat themselves because a lot of the articles were from before the first book was out.

I absolutely love his first book. I thought it was beautifully-written and edited. I may go back to Slash's book more often (cos there is such a lot of detail within) but Duff's takes the prize, writing-wise. Looking forward to this second tome.

A question--

How much does Duff's first book go into the UYI era (ie the UYI recording process, his opinion on the songs, firing Steven, the loss of Izzy), and the post UYI GN'R era (Paul Huge, Slash quitting, Matt being fired and himself quitting)? Does he talk about Axl wanting to go industrial or anything?

Which of the two biographies talks more about the UYI and post UYI era--Slash or Duff's?

A question--

How much does Duff's first book go into the UYI era (ie the UYI recording process, his opinion on the songs, firing Steven, the loss of Izzy), and the post UYI GN'R era (Paul Huge, Slash quitting, Matt being fired and himself quitting)? Does he talk about Axl wanting to go industrial or anything?

Which of the two biographies talks more about the UYI and post UYI era--Slash or Duff's?

From what I can remember, Slash's does.

Slash's book is very "This is the GNR story and my part in it" and Duff's is more "This is my story and this is how GNR affected it"

At least that's how it seemed to me.

A question--

From what I can remember, Slash's does.

Slash's book is very "This is the GNR story and my part in it" and Duff's is more "This is my story and this is how GNR affected it"

At least that's how it seemed to me.

Yes, I agree. Duff's was a life story, a personal journey. Guns were just, a small really, part of it. Slash has a lot of Guns detail in his (of course, whether you agree with it is decided by which camp you are in). Very different books in a way. Both good but Duff's is superior. Slash was more revealing for Guns geeks such as myself and Soul Monster.

Also, Duff was drunk for most of the Illusion era (and admits as much, so, he sort of admits his deficiencies). It is brief, the Illusion era. The break up is even briefer (by then Duff was more interested in fitness and university). He had a meeting with Axl; said, 'this is your band now''; shook his hand, and buggered off haha.

• Like 2

Yeah - the books are very different yet complement each other. I'm new here - to thsi forum - and not sure how much I am allowed to write but I run a blog and my review of Duff's first book has proved to be one of the most popular posts on there, which was a surprise to me, but I guess there's a hard core of people who do want to know more about what he's lived through and who he is now.

"Learn how to fight," "Don't road-rage," "Lead by example" and "Don't be a pussy." "Don't shy away from a situation just because it's tough. If it is protecting the one you love, or things are tough at work," McKagan wrote in the original column. "Pin those ears back and remember who the fuck you are."

if only he could take his own fucking advances in the 90's....

I adored Duff's first book and think it was the best of all the Gunner books. I thought it was well-written, funny, insightful, and a great story. You could hear him tell you the story. I count it as one of my very favorite autobiographies. I will be very excited to read the next one.

• 4 months later...

A question--

I wish Duff did go into the music a little more, especially about recording Appetite, like Slash did. But his personal journey was a good read too.

• 6 months later...