Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

Awful and scary news. Are we set up to protect our media from attacks from extremists groups who disagree with what we publish?

More info here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30710883

The number of killed is horrible in itself, but what I fear is how such attacks may stifle other magazines, newspapers, blogs, etc, from speaking their mind on topics that may be considered offensive to various extremist groups. This is very sad.

Edited by SoulMonster

Two of the killed are policemen and according to an eyewtiness the perpetrators left with a hostage.

c0021841231w988h557191398.jpg

There is no way around it - we must make Islam a special case that is protected from satirical criticism!

No wait, we can't do that - let's rather arm our journalists and editors so they can protect themselves!

No wait, that's another bad idea. Let's...shit, I have no idea what to do :(

We had a shooting at a Jewish museum in Brussels last year, luckily they got apprehended in France. This news of the shooting at Charlie Hebdo is sad, of course because of all the victims involved, but the biggest victim here is freedom of speech which anything religious provocative will more likely be censored then risked to get published. I hope they find the men who did this and draw a thousand cartoons mocking their pathetic existence and intolerance.

Edited by Bumblefeet

I just reread an interview with Charlie Hebdo's director and he had police protection 24/7 and there was security outside the door, since the attack in 2011. The interview is two years old though, don't know if they still had police protection.

They killed a wounded police officer lying on the ground, while shouting: 'We've avenged the prophet and killed Charlie Hebdo.'

I just reread an interview with Charlie Hebdo's director and he had police protection 24/7 and there was security outside the door, since the attack in 2011. The interview is two years old though, don't know if they still had police protection.

They killed a wounded police officer lying on the ground, while shouting: 'We've avenged the prophet and killed Charlie Hebdo.'

They still had police protection but the guy standing outside didn't stand a chance apparently.

We tend to idolize people who fight for our freedom, our rights, our way of living. Veterans of war, war correspondents, UN personell, doctors without borders... I'm going to add those journalists in Europe who after this horrible attack still dare to level the same amount of criticism and satire on Islam and extremism as they level on other religions, ideologies, political parties, ideas and public figures. They are now my heroes.

• Like 3

"The religion of peace"

That is the biggest crock of shit ever.

This are going to get rougher for many everywhere. Way to many extremists in the religion of peace.

Edit: This is something I saw written and it makes sense. What the fuck is the end game?

From what I can tell, Muslims are against any portrayal of Muhammad to prevent idol worship that would detract from exclusive worship of Allah. But isn't murdering people for portraying images of Muhammad an act of idol worship of Muhammad?

Edited by gunsguy
  • Like 2

What can be done to stop this happening around the world?

Nothing - the western world are going to keep suffering episodes like this and sadly people will be killed. Absolutely horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7kEE4tSRdo

Won't be long before more Hoax Videos are uploaded, like the 2 Policemen shot in the US recently didn't happen - it was a hoax.

The plane crash where the 7yr old was the sole survivor and turned up at someone's door - also a hoax

Air Asia also a hoax. I'm sick to death of the disrespect these people have when the loved ones of these people are suffering so much.

Stay tuned folks.