Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

Clearly you've haven't got the time to think your logic out either.

What's wrong with my logic? ;)

I don't know, you'd have to tell me that, you're the one making adjustments to it, contradicting yourself...and then asking me why you've done so.

I've been making adjustements to my logic? That's funny. I've contradicted myself? Where? Or could it just maybe be that the problem lies with your ability to understand?

I am not asking you "why you've done so", but to explain what you mean when you claim something is wrong with my logic. Your claim, the onus lies with you to explain what you mean, not me :shrugs:

World leaders, well, mostly Europens leaders, had a meeting today in connection with the big-ass demonstrations that took place in Paris today (2-3 million participants!). On the agenda was how to prevent such terrorism from happening again. I think it was a French minister who afterwards on a press conference said they had decided on two things, 1) make it harder for citizens to travel across borders to fight in wars, 2) work on limiting domestic radicalization. Looking forward to hearing how they are actually going to achieve these goals, ambitious but necesarry.

World leaders, well, mostly Europens leaders, had a meeting today in connection with the big-ass demonstrations that took place in Paris today (2-3 million participants!). On the agenda was how to prevent such terrorism from happening again. I think it was a French minister who afterwards on a press conference said they had decided on two things, 1) make it harder for citizens to travel across borders to fight in wars, 2) work on limiting domestic radicalization. Looking forward to hearing how they are actually going to achieve these goals, ambitious but necesarry.

Yes it will be interesting to see.

I do hope there will be some sort of enquiry into possible intelligence failures. All parties involved had travelled to Syria and received training. they were known to to the authorities.

Welcome to America, France.

PARIS — Seeking to reassure a jittery and unsettled population after last week’s terrorist attacks, the French authorities said on Monday that thousands of police officers and soldiers would be deployed to protect Jewish schools and other “sensitive sites,” in one of the country’s biggest peacetime security operations.

The defense minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, said that 10,000 soldiers would be deployed by Tuesday evening, in what he called “the first mobilization on this scale on our territory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/world/europe/france-charlie-hebdo-terrorist-attacks.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Charlie Hebdo's attorney has confirmed today that this week's edition will contain new caricatures of Mohammed. The issue will only be 8 pages (rather than 16) but it will come in 1.000.000 copies (rather than 60.000) and be released in more countries than France. All revenues from the issue will go to the families of the 12 victims of the massacre.

Wow, 26 pages.

I will just put in my two cents and move along.

Freedom of Speech is a basic human right, but I feel many take it too literally. You have the right to voice your opinion but use it with common sense. No fighting words, nothing to provoke others, and be respectful of other people's opinions and beliefs. The attack itself was wrong, but everyone should have known the consequences. France has one of the best anti-terrorist forces in the world so they should be able to handle it efficiently. Hope the families of the victims will find peace and wish no revenge. The attackers are dead anyway.

Charlie Hebdo's attorney has confirmed today that this week's edition will contain new caricatures of Mohammed. The issue will only be 8 pages (rather than 16) but it will come in 1.000.000 copies (rather than 60.000) and be released in more countries than France. All revenues from the issue will go to the families of the 12 victims of the massacre.

Ah well, looks like they were listening to you Soul!

This is going to kick off again.

Ah well, looks like they were listening to you Soul!

It's imrpessive they don't throw in the towel. I admire that. On the other hand, they sort of can't give up. It is also to be expected they will use this issue to attack the terrorists and their beliefs -- that is entirely aligned with their mission, as far as I understand it. As for publishing new Mohammed caricatures, it seems a bit contrived given the circumstances, and more like a "fuck you!" then as genuine criticism, but I will not conclude until I have seen them.

I suppose the edition will be sold out quickly. A colleague of mine aske if I could use my French contacts to secure his an issue. Nice touch to dedicate the revenues to the victims' families, I suppose the magazine won't need the money necesarrily, they surely get lots of private donations now from all over Europe.

Edited by SoulMonster

It'd be nice if someone learnt to spell Muhammad properly. Unless of course spelling it Mohammed is some kind of satire of colonialist re-imaginings, in which case it's OK :lol:

This is gonna be like the school kids edition of Oz eh? :lol:

? I don't get it. What do you mean? About half of the male muslims here are called Mohammed or Mohamed :shrugs: In French Mahomet is possible too, it seems.

It'd be nice if someone learnt to spell Muhammad properly. Unless of course spelling it Mohammed is some kind of satire of colonialist re-imaginings, in which case it's OK :lol:

This is gonna be like the school kids edition of Oz eh? :lol:

? I don't get it. What do you mean? About half of the male muslims here are called Mohammed or Mohamed :shrugs: In French Mahomet is possible too, it seems.

Yes but the prophet isn't, is he? There's a lot of Christians called Bertie but that don't mean to say thats what the bloke nailed to the cross was called, does it? :lol:

• Like 1

It'd be nice if someone learnt to spell Muhammad properly. Unless of course spelling it Mohammed is some kind of satire of colonialist re-imaginings, in which case it's OK

There are many transliterations for almost every name originally written with arab letters. In Norway his name is spelled Mohammed, in Turkey Muhamet, etc :shrugs:

It'd be nice if someone learnt to spell Muhammad properly. Unless of course spelling it Mohammed is some kind of satire of colonialist re-imaginings, in which case it's OK

There are many transliterations for almost every name originally written with arab letters. In Norway his name is spelled Mohammed, in Turkey Muhamet, etc :shrugs:
With the correct one being Muhammad. A lot of those alternate spellings are to do with it being improper to call yourself Muhammad, in fact the name Ahmed was created as a way for muslims to name themselves something that more or less means Muhammad but isnt an identical, and hence something like blasphemous act. Edited by Len B'stard

It's interesting to me that you had 2 brothers involved in the Boston marathon killings, one of them had gone over and received training and when he came back, turned his brother on to it. I think the same thing happened in this case.

I have no idea the reasoning why people want to join extreme groups unless their families influenced them, or they had drug problems and threw themselves into it to deal with their addictions. I get the people who become disgruntled with the government.

Another thing we don't hear about is the rise in antisemitism in Europe and the Jewish citizens leaving to go to Israel because it's getting bad for them.

I also keep reading about this French comedian "Dieudonne" that's supporting what happened? I can't think of an equivalent to what he would be in the UK or America.

Satire has to be protected and defended even if it's offensive. Why not just slash the delivery truck tires or stage boycotts of the magazine?

They wanted to go down as martyrs but just like Boston, they ran like little bitches.

• Like 1

With the correct one being Muhammad.
I wasn't aware it was so strict. Then Iran and Afghanistan (both caling him Mohammad), the Arab parts of North Africa (calling him Muhammed), parts of the Arab world (occasionally calling him Mohamed, Mohammed or Mohamad), Bosnia and Herzegovina (Muhammed and Muhamed), Turkey and Albania (Muhamed, Muhammet or Muhamet) do it wrong. The lands that consistently refer to him as Muhammad are Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and Malaysia.

With the correct one being Muhammad. A lot of those alternate spellings are to do with it being improper to call yourself Muhammad, in fact the name Ahmed was created as a way for muslims to name themselves something that more or less means Muhammad but isnt an identical, and hence something like blasphemous act.

But Jesus isn't spelled as Jesus in every language as well. Only difference is, is that there are a lot of variations on the name Muhammad.