Attack on French satirical magazine who posted jokes about the prophet Mohammed - 12 killed

SoulMonster

It'd be nice if someone learnt to spell Muhammad properly. Unless of course spelling it Mohammed is some kind of satire of colonialist re-imaginings, in which case it's OK

There are many transliterations for almost every name originally written with arab letters. In Norway his name is spelled Mohammed, in Turkey Muhamet, etc :shrugs:
With the correct one being Muhammad.
I wasn't aware it was so strict. Then Iran and Afghanistan (both caling him Mohammad), the Arab parts of North Africa (calling him Muhammed), parts of the Arab world (occasionally calling him Mohamed, Mohammed or Mohamad), Bosnia and Herzegovina (Muhammed and Muhamed), Turkey and Albania (Muhamed, Muhammet or Muhamet) do it wrong. The lands that consistently refer to him as Muhammad are Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Who needs facts when you got Wikipedia eh? :lol:

It'd be nice if someone learnt to spell Muhammad properly. Unless of course spelling it Mohammed is some kind of satire of colonialist re-imaginings, in which case it's OK

There are many transliterations for almost every name originally written with arab letters. In Norway his name is spelled Mohammed, in Turkey Muhamet, etc :shrugs:
With the correct one being Muhammad. A lot of those alternate spellings are to do with it being improper to call yourself Muhammad, in fact the name Ahmed was created as a way for muslims to name themselves something that more or less means Muhammad but isnt an identical, and hence something like blasphemous act.

You muslims are a fussy lot :lol: We just call the other prophet Jezus. Then again, I think no one (at least here) would call their son Jezus/Jesus/Gesù, while I think every oldest muslim son is called Mohammed (or Mo, Mohamed...).

Edited by Lio

With the correct one being Muhammad. A lot of those alternate spellings are to do with it being improper to call yourself Muhammad, in fact the name Ahmed was created as a way for muslims to name themselves something that more or less means Muhammad but isnt an identical, and hence something like blasphemous act.

But Jesus isn't spelled as Jesus in every language as well. Only difference is, is that there are a lot of variations on the name Muhammad.
Yeah but thats because there are different names for Jesus in all those languages, not vague misspellings or colonialist re-imaginings.

You muslims are a fussy lot :lol: We just call the other prophet Jezus. Then again, I think no one (at least here) would call their son Jezus/Jesus/Gesù, while I think every oldest muslim son is called Mohammed (or Mo, Mohamed...).

My eldest brother aint called Muhammad :lol: but yes, fussy bastards one and all :lol: Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Yeah but thats because there are different names for Jesus in all those languages, not vague misspellings or colonialist re-imaginings.

My eldest brother aint called Muhammad :lol: but yes, fussy bastards one and all :lol:

Oh well, maybe it's only a Moroccan thing, or regional or whatever. :shrugs:

But Jesus isn't spelled as Jesus in every language as well. Only difference is, is that there are a lot of variations on the name Muhammad.

All the names I listed were from countries with large muslim populations where the differences in spelling has nothing to do with "misspellings or colonialist re-imaginings" but all to do with the challenges of phonetically spelling a non-romanized name. This returns in variations of the name that for the most part is actually pronounced very similarly, which is the important part, as far as I know.

You're right. Isn't Muhammad also one the most common names in the world, I remember reading or hearing about that.

All the names I listed were from countries with large muslim populations where the differences in spelling has nothing to do with "misspellings or colonialist re-imaginings" but all to do with the challenges of phonetically spelling a non-romanized name. This returns in variations of the name that for the most part is actually pronounced very similarly, which is the important part, as far as I know.

Like i said, Wikipedias a wonderful thing :lol: McLeod said something a while back about being curious as to how many of the internet geniuses would be as sharp as they seem online without a computer to hand, i'm starting to see why!

We do need to domesticate those brown people. :lol:

No you racist! We need to domesticate any religious sects and ideologies that are so opposed to our societies and our human rights that their followers are willing to use terrorism in an attempt to force us to change them. This is exactly what "we" did with Christianity, too.

When something gets people killed, I like to do more of it.

Desensitizing old-fashioned muslims into being able to take jokes so that their religion becomes domesticated and is fit to exist in modern society, is like removing a band aid, you want to do it quickly rather than slowly ;)

I hope a muslim smacks you clean in the mouth, you patronising bastard :lol:

Like i said, Wikipedias a wonderful thing :lol: McLeod said something a while back about being curious as to how many of the internet geniuses would be as sharp as they seem online without a computer to hand, i'm starting to see why!

You Einstein you! You brilliantly realized I didn't know all the various regional spellings of Mohammad by heart, only that the spellings vary greatly due to the reasons given, and used Wikipedia to make sure I got it right when typing it down! There's no way of fooling you, is there? I feel so...indifferent.

But to summarize, the name varies among muslim countries, too, since it is more important that the name is pronouced similarly than spelled identically.

When something gets people killed, I like to do more of it.

Desensitizing old-fashioned muslims into being able to take jokes so that their religion becomes domesticated and is fit to exist in modern society, is like removing a band aid, you want to do it quickly rather than slowly ;)

I hope a muslim smacks you clean in the mouth, you patronising bastard :lol:

I think you will find that most muslims are able to take jokes and don't support terrorism :shrugs:.

You Einstein you! You brilliantly realized I didn't know all the various regional spellings of Mohammad by heart, only that the spellings vary greatly due to the reasons given, and used Wikipedia to make sure I got it right when typing it down! There's no way of fooling you, is there? I feel so...indifferent.

But to summarize, the name varies among muslim countries, too, since it is more important that the name is pronouced similarly than spelled identically.

Go on, now pretend like it was meant to be granted that you were chiefing the whole lot off a website :lol: Honestly Soulie, you get better and better :lol:

Usually people cite sources when doing that shit, no? And also, if you're gonna use something for a source you could do better than Wikipedia, hardly a fucking authority is it? :lol:

'But to summarise what i just nicked off Wikipedia' :lol: Have a day off Soulie, for fuckssake :lol: And you're still wrong and it's still spelt Muhammad.

Edited by Len B'stard

I think you will find that most muslims are able to take jokes and don't support terrorism :shrugs:.

I think you'll find that you're a patronising cunt that talks about human life as one would talk about lab rats of statistics on a piece of paper. It's all ideas, all just shit thats going on in your head because you think logic overrides our in-built human responses that are predicated on having a heart. But quite frankly it's all a bullshit put on and it's obvious to see because, though when theorizing you find it convenient to write off entire swathes of populations and talk about limiting how many babies people have an assisted suicides and all this shit, with your particularly unsettling brand of Brevikian logic you were whistling a different tune when it was your Gran that was ill, God bless her. And before you start waving that about like its an insult, it's not, i mentioned that because really, i think you do have a heart and this hard-nosed logician than you purport to be only works when you completely separate yourself from reality and consider the planet and all those in it as one would a set of statistics, which we're not.

Whats smacking you in the mouth for being a dick got to do with terrorism? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Go on, now pretend like it was meant to be granted that you were chiefing the whole lot off a website :lol: Honestly Soulie, you get better and better :lol:

Usually people cite sources when doing that shit, no? And also, if you're gonna use something for a source you could do better than Wikipedia, hardly a fucking authority is it? :lol:

'But to summarise what i just nicked off Wikipedia' :lol: Have a day off Soulie, for fuckssake :lol:

You seriously think people believe I know these things by heart? Wow, you have a high opinion of me. But no, people don't usually cite trivial things unless they are writing for a peer-reviewed journal (where the citing rules are, naturally, very strict), or a newspaper, or the information is controversial (so readers can check how the information has been obtained) or hard to find. Different rules and expectation at different media. Another expamle of this is your cute way of ending every sentence with a smiley. Okay here and in facebook posts from small girls, not so normal or okay in blogs, articles, or basically anything written by adults.

'But to summarise what i just nicked off Wikipedia' :lol: Have a day off Soulie, for fuckssake :lol:

You seriously think people believe I know these things by heart? Wow, you have a high opinion of me. But no, people don't usually cite trivial things unless they are writing for a peer-reviewed journal (where the citing rules are, naturally, very strict), or a newspaper, or the information is controversial (so readers can check how the information has been obtained) or hard to find. Different rules and expectation at different media. Another expamle of this is your cute way of ending every sentence with a smiley. Okay here and in facebook posts from small girls, not so normal or okay in blogs, articles, or basically anything written by adults.

blah blah blah, talking out of your arse, waffling on about media and bollocks insteading of just admitting you baited yourself up :rolleyes:

But quite frankly it's all a bullshit put on and it's obvious to see because, though when theorizing you find it convenient to write off entire swathes of populations and talk about limiting how many babies people have an assisted suicides and all this shit, with your particularly unsettling brand of Brevikian logic you were whistling a different tune when it was your Gran that was ill, God bless her.

You lost me here. When have I ever "written of entire swathes of populations"? Are you saying that since I posted compassionately about my grandma you don't take me seriously when I say that I believe extremist muslims that are willing to use terror will have to change if they are ever to be successfully integrated in our socities? Is that your argument? You find it hard to reconcile my fondness for my grandmother with a realization that history will have to repeat itself and now it's sectarian, violent islamism that will have to change (and not Christianity). If so, I am sorry my posts confuse you so much, but unless I use satire, sarcasm and irony, everything I write is completely honest. I don't tend to pose as someone else, according to what I have heard, you are the one who has been guilty of that.

blah blah blah, talking out of your arse, waffling on about media and bollocks insteading of just admitting you baited yourself up :rolleyes:No,

I think you would do wisely to use wikipedia a bit yourself. But in your case I think you should cite the source, to not confuse people with glaring paragraphs of actually facts inside your rambling nonsense.

You lost me here. When have I ever "written of entire swathes of populations"? Are you saying that since I posted compassionately about my grandma you don't take me seriously when I say that I believe extremist muslims that are willing to use terror will have to change if they are ever to be successfully integrated in our socities? Is that your argument?

Another classic Soulie move, taking what someones said, re-phrasing it, changing bits in the middle and going 'is that your argument?', no, my argument is the shit I said and it didn't require your putting it in a different way to assist your wilful missing of my very clear and obvious point.

You find it hard to reconcile my fondness for my grandmother with a realization that history will have to repeat itself and now it's sectarian, violent islamism that will have to change (and not Christianity). If so, I am sorry my posts confuse you so much, but unless I use satire, sarcasm and irony, everything I write is completely honest. I don't tend to pose as someone else, according to what I have heard, you are the one who has been guilty of that.

My observations stand for exactly what they are, observations upon which I've formed an opinion. If they're misguided and incorrect then fair enough I apologise but suffice to say I don't see a lot in the reality of your behaviour to suggest otherwise.

I think you would do wisely to use wikipedia a bit yourself. But in your case I think you should cite the source, to not confuse people with glaring paragraphs of actually facts inside your rambling nonsense.

Thanks for the advice Skipper but I'll just stick to thinking for myself and not trying to pass off 'actually facts' i just ponced off an online encyclopaedia as my own, ta very much :lol:

You lost me here. When have I ever "written of entire swathes of populations"? Are you saying that since I posted compassionately about my grandma you don't take me seriously when I say that I believe extremist muslims that are willing to use terror will have to change if they are ever to be successfully integrated in our socities? Is that your argument?

Another classic Soulie move, taking what someones said, re-phrasing it, changing bits in the middle and going 'is that your argument?', no, my argument is the shit I said and it didn't require your putting it in a different way to assist your wilful missing of my very clear and obvious point.

I am sorry that I occasionally find your sentences hard to understand.

You find it hard to reconcile my fondness for my grandmother with a realization that history will have to repeat itself and now it's sectarian, violent islamism that will have to change (and not Christianity). If so, I am sorry my posts confuse you so much, but unless I use satire, sarcasm and irony, everything I write is completely honest. I don't tend to pose as someone else, according to what I have heard, you are the one who has been guilty of that.

My observations stand for exactly what they are, observations upon which I've formed an opinion. If they're misguided and incorrect then fair enough I apologise but suffice to say I don't see a lot in the reality of your behaviour to suggest otherwise.

No need to apologize for looking upon me as an enigma. I kind of like it.

Thanks for the advice Skipper but I'll just stick to thinking for myself and not trying to pass off 'actually facts' i just ponced off an online encyclopaedia as my own, ta very much :lol:

You could start by looking at the wikipedia entry for "facts" and learn that no one really owns them. They are sort of free to share.

You do it all over the place, not just with me, it's your GEEEEENIUS way of trying to re-frame an argument and make it last 5 days longer than it should do in an attempt to tire the other bastard into just quitting :lol: Clearly you see these things as a sort of war of attrition :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

You do it all over the place, not just with me, it's your GEEEEENIUS way of trying to re-frame an argument and make it last 5 days longer than it should do in an attempt to tire the other bastard into just quitting :lol: Clearly you see these things as a sort of war of attrition :lol:

No, as soon as I am not entertained I will end an argument. I also DO have troubles understanding some of your sentences, a lot of it could be do to, duh, me not having English as first language.