Films That Mark Your Favourite/Favorite Thespian's Decline; The turning point where it all went downhill from there...

Snake-Pit

1996, Bill Murray

MV5BODM0NzY3NjcyM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODYz

Larger Than Life (1996)

Bill Murray used to be all Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, then this happened and at best he was a cameo in Space Jam.

The dark years of Lost In Translation may be redeemed in a recent Expendables style cinematic return in The Monuments Men.

Edited by Snake-Pit

1996, Bill Murray

Larger Than Life (1996)

Bill Murray used to be all Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, then this happened and at best he was a cameo in Space Jam.

The dark years of Lost In Translation may be redeemed in a recent Expendables style cinematic return in The Monuments Men.

Life Aquatic bro

1996, Bill Murray

Larger Than Life (1996)

WTF?

• Like 3

1996, Bill Murray

Larger Than Life (1996)

WTF?

He likes Jack and Jill. Nuff said really no?

1996, Bill Murray

Larger Than Life (1996)

WTF?

No I don't... That's the point.

1996, Bill Murray

Larger Than Life (1996)

WTF?

But you do consider Monuments Men an upswing from Lost in Translation? Which is much worse than liking Jack and Jill. :lol:

On topic - Pacino post Dog Day Afternoon.

• Like 1

What was the point when De Nero became a gurning caricature of his former self?

He did some decent work in the 90s, (although nothing that would've warranted his legendary status if his career had started then). Common theory has Rocky & Bullwinkle as the point of absolutely no return, but looking at his IMDB page, I'd argue his last authentically brilliant performance was probably King of Comedy. But as I said, he's done good stuff since then and far more consistently than Al.

What was the point when De Nero became a gurning caricature of his former self?

He did some decent work in the 90s, (although nothing that would've warranted his legendary status if his career had started then). Common theory has Rocky & Bullwinkle as the point of absolutely no return, but looking at his IMDB page, I'd argue his last authentically brilliant performance was probably King of Comedy. But as I said, he's done good stuff since then and far more consistently than Al.

Pacino did Angels In America which was great I thought. The Phil Spector movie was quite good as well imo.

I have always liked Stallone. Better actor and filmmaker than people give him credit for.

He really is. As much as he's known for his eighties action flicks he can actually do really well in more serious roles. He's not half bad as a director or writer either.

I meant more that kind of disappeared from the mainstream public eye in the late nineties/early 2000s with some crap like Get Carter and Spy Kids but Rocky Balboa was a major comeback on all levels and he's done some great stuff since then - Expendables (proving he still has the knack to create a great action series), Escape Plan, Bullet to the Head, and so on.

1996, Bill Murray

Larger Than Life (1996)

WTF?

But you do consider Monuments Men an upswing from Lost in Translation? Which is much worse than liking Jack and Jill. :lol:

On topic - Pacino post Dog Day Afternoon.

Scarface, Carlito's Way, Scent of a Woman, Heat. Donnie Brasco, Devil's Advocate?

I love this scene

• Like 1

What movie actors don't like? TV series. It's still seen as a career downgrade.

Charlie Sheen is one of the most frustrated actors because he makes a lot of money in TV, but wishes he could be working in movies again. When you see names like Billy Crystal or Robin Williams doing TV shows, it was a step down in their careers, it's not because they missed working on a TV show.

Nicolas Cage might make bad movies, but I'm sure he'd say he'll do the worst movie in the world before ever doing a TV series. So far he's avoided it.

I have always liked Stallone. Better actor and filmmaker than people give him credit for.

He really is. As much as he's known for his eighties action flicks he can actually do really well in more serious roles. He's not half bad as a director or writer either.

I meant more that kind of disappeared from the mainstream public eye in the late nineties/early 2000s with some crap like Get Carter and Spy Kids but Rocky Balboa was a major comeback on all levels and he's done some great stuff since then - Expendables (proving he still has the knack to create a great action series), Escape Plan, Bullet to the Head, and so on.

Yeah, it is weird how Sly had to go back to Rocky to be able to revive his career, just as Rocky had to go back to boxing to be able to move forward with his life.

Me too, he is my favorite action hero, however late 90s early 00s his career was in the dumpster, I'd put it somewhere after Daylight & Copland; "Driven", "Avenging Angelo", "D-Tox", "Shade", ... all straight to video type affairs. Stallone did not fare well in the "Pulp Fiction" influenced gangster movies everyone was doing.

It took Rocky Balboa & Rambo 4 to remember why people liked his movies in the first place and of course the subsequent popularity of the Expendables franchise.

Edited by Bumblefeet