The MyGNR Travel Thread 2015

WFA

Planning a trip this year? Have you been somewhere interesting in 2015? Talk about your travels this year here.

I don't have any trips planned this year. i want to see motley crue at their last ever show though. maybe vegas if gnr does another residency.

Still VERY undecided about our travels this year.

Options that we're exploring include:

- Plitvice, Croatia. Possibly combined with Split or Istria.

- The Pyrenees, Catalonia, Spain

- Kefalonia, Greece.

- A citytrip to either Rome or Barcelona.

We're likely to do one or two of those. Then there's a few less likely options including:

- Madeira, Portugal

- Corsica, France

- Sicily or Sardinia, Italy

I'm also very likely to do another trip to Scotland with my whisky buddies. That one will probably be in the Speyside region, Dufftown etc.

There's also two "big" trips we're looking to do.

1. Iceland, and I mean the whole of Iceland. Which would probably require 3 weeks.

2. South-western USA, including San Francisco, Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Vegas, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Death Valley and LA. This would also require at least 3 weeks.

I think we're likely to not do either of these this year and do one of them in 2016 though. Still considering a trip by car (From Holland) through Norway all the way up to Nordkapp as well. But the other two are more likely at this point.

And we might pop still over to Paris for a few days. Long weekend or something. It's just 6 hours by car and it's years since I've been there. :)

Edited by username

Hard to say so early, but at least a trip to Paris and one to Sicily. A couple of trips to UK, including one to Manchester. A few trips to Germany (Munchen, Frankfurt and Heidelberg) and Austria (Vienna), a trip to Philadelphia, and maybe a trip to Florida or Los Angeles, and possibly a trip to China and one to India. Some of these won't happen, other will come in. I am trying to travel less.

I'm so envious of you Europeans.

Why? I mean, yeah, more countries and cities to visit. But from what I've seen and read there are amazing spots in North America to visit too. The trip that the Mrs. and I did last year included Vancouver Island, Jasper, Banff, Kootenay, Waterton, Glacier and Yellowstone. All were jawdroppingly beautiful and amazing. I'm very interested to go to south-western USA as well. Not to mention the Great Lakes. And that's all top of my head. I'm sure there are many more options to explore. Cuba should be amazing as well. Or Yucatan in Mexico. And then there's the Caribbean and South America too.

I do think that Europe wins it when it comes to beautiful cities and culture. By a landslide even. But when it comes to nature we're quite evenly matched imo.

Edited by username

Why? I mean, yeah, more countries and cities to visit. But from what I've seen and read there are amazing spots in North America to visit too. The trip that the Mrs. and I did last year included Vancouver Island, Jasper, Banff, Kootenay, Waterton, Glacier and Yellowstone. All were jawdroppingly beautiful and amazing. I'm very interested to go to south-western USA as well. Not to mention the Great Lakes. And that's all top of my head. I'm sure there are many more options to explore. Cuba should be amazing as well. Or Yucatan in Mexico. And then there's the Caribbean and South America too.

I do think that Europe wins it when it comes to beautiful cities and culture. By a landslide even. But when it comes to nature we're quite evenly matched imo.

JD's Down Under isn't he? I guess from Australia you're closer to NZ and parts of Asia.

JD's Down Under isn't he? I guess from Australia you're closer to NZ and parts of Asia.

Ah, sorry! Thought he was either Canadian or American. My bad! I guess from Australia there's less variety to get to.

If you ever get to the Great Lakes you're welcome at my place - I live like a mile off of Lake Ontario.

I don't have anything planned yet - waiting to see what Maiden's tour this year looks like. I'm sure it'll just be North America though. I'd like to do Western Canada though, and Texas again (as well as the rest of the southwest gigs). Plus the whole East Coast leg. So nothing too exciting travel-wise but I'm sure I'll be able to check off some new cities.

• Like 1

If you ever get to the Great Lakes you're welcome at my place - I live like a mile off of Lake Ontario.

I don't have anything planned yet - waiting to see what Maiden's tour this year looks like. I'm sure it'll just be North America though. I'd like to do Western Canada though, and Texas again (as well as the rest of the southwest gigs). Plus the whole East Coast leg. So nothing too exciting travel-wise but I'm sure I'll be able to check off some new cities.

If you come near Atlanta/Charlotte/Greenville shoot me a PM. I'd go see Iron Maiden once and it'd be cool to meet some more forum members.

• 1 month later...

Yay! First two trips for 2015 booked! Both for June! ^_^

Number 1: Schotland for 6 days! Fourth year in a row, again with our whisky club.

The plan is:

Day 1: Deanston, Tullibardine, Glenturret or Aberfeldy (1 or 2 of the 4, still needs some sorting out)

Day 2: Edradour / Blair Athol

Day 3: Royal Lochnagar

Day 4: Glendronach / Glen Garioch (YES! Two of my favorite distilleries! ^_^ )

Day 5: Fettercairn and/or Glencadam, and maybe a night out in Glasgow or Edinburgh

Day 6: Fly home. :(

Meaning we'll be staying in Pitlochry, Aberdeen and either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

When I get home, the Mrs and I will fly to Croatia the very next day. ^_^ Sleep is for the weak!

We'll be visiting the Plitvice lakes for sure. Aside from that we're not sure whether we'll be going to the Istria peninsula or the south-western coast (Roughly between Zadar and Split. Anybody has any good tips on that? We won't have time to do both and we're undecided so far. ;)

Edited by username

I would've recommended Crieff, if you're going to Glenturret. Crieff Hydro's one hell of a hotel and within easy walking distance of the distillery.

Thanks man! I appreciate the advice, but I think we'll just hit Glenturret (or one of the others) and then go on to Pitlochry and sleep there so we have time to do Edradour and Blair Athol the next day. :)

I'm spending a week in New York at Easter. Anyone have any tips or recommendations bearing in mind I will have two elderly (but fit) persons with me and an eight year old. I feel like I should have a plan to make the most of it.

Walk along the High Line, it's a former overground part of the subway that's been turned into a park type thing. It's purty :)

• Like 1