2015 Oscar Awards Thread

downzy

Not sure if Birman is the greatest movie ever made (or in the top 50), but I applaud it for trying to be something different. And it's really cool that they make it out to be like a play, where it appears to be filmed as one continuous shot. The ending is a little, well, ridiculous.

Curious if American Sniper is nothing more than war-mongering propaganda.

Boyhood strikes me as one of those movies that no one wants to admit they didn't get. Kind of like an Emperor's new clothes situation. It's cool that it was shot over twelve years, but does that fact alone make it a good movie?

I enjoyed The Grand Budapest Hotel, but didn't think it was one of Anderson's best (much preferred Moonlight Kingdom).

Kind of funny how an actor who has lately become more known for his appearances in insurance commercials is the hands-on favourite to win the best supporting Oscar.

That's what I'm wondering. Early trailers presented it as a much more nuanced take, but the more I read about it and the more trailers I see, the more I think it's just some more 'Murica, fuck yeah!

Edited by magisme

That's what I'm wondering. Early trailers presented it as a much more nuanced take, but the more I read about it and the more trailers I see, the more I think it's just some more 'Murica, fuck yeah!

it's more of a take on what happens to soldiers when they come home and the ptsd they deal with

it's more of a take on what happens to soldiers when they come home and the ptsd they deal with

But is it more about how hard it is for soldiers so let's celebrate their heroism and bravery even more, or is it about how we send people off to kill other people like it's normal and then expect them to reintegrate seamlessly into society, thus placing the question of killing in general front and center?

But is it more about how hard it is for soldiers so let's celebrate their heroism and bravery even more, or is it about how we send people off to kill other people like it's normal and then expect them to reintegrate seamlessly into society, thus placing the question of killing in general front and center?

More of the latter.

It is based on a true story, but all movies that are bend and twist things according to the director's take on things...and Clint is a big America fuck yeah! guy, so there are certainly hints of that. When the main character comes home from various tours of duty, he's conflicted. A lot of people come up to him and praise him but he's not comfortable with that at all. He is a master rifleman and has killed a lot of people (over 100) and is nicknamed "Legend" for doing so, another thing he's not comfortable with. The killings take their toll on him as he is just married and has young kids of his own. The film could have been much better in a better director's hands but it's still an ok film. It certainly has been branded a war mongering propaganda film by some and again, there are hints of that, but overall, I came away feeling different

• Like 1

I'm glad The Grand Budapest Hotel got so many nominations - one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. I still haven't gotten around to seeing Birdman.

Also, Interstellar deserves everything it was nominated for.

Same here. I truly loved The Grand Budapest Hotel. It's just a sweet movie. It deserved every single nomination. :)

Nice to see Marion Cotillard getting a nomination for Two Days, One Night. She was great in it.

JK Simmons has the supporting actor role locked up

Definitely. No real competitor in that category.

I'm about to watch The Theory of Everything but I still need to get a copy of Birdman before I make any judgments about who is the best actor in a leading role.

I predicted 4 nominations for Interstellar, it got 5. Good enough.

I've seen:

Boyhood - no, concept was the selling point of this movie, I think, and just interesting that they could keep the actors returning every few years. No interesting story.

Selma - itneresting perspective on a known story. kind of slow

The Theory of Everthing - until I have seen them all, this is the winner for actor anyway. He really nailed it. I also thought the story was well told, good pace.

Imitation Game - interesting story, good acting

Grand Budapest Hotel - really enjoyed this one, would like to see it win but I don't think it will

Who cares, as long as lots of people get killed :lol: Any number of movies are bullshit Ameri-ccentric propaganda, don't mean to say they are not fantastic. For example, Rambo!

• Like 1

Who cares, as long as lots of people get killed :lol: Any number of movies are bullshit Ameri-ccentric propaganda, don't mean to say they are not fantastic. For example, Rambo!

It always grates on my nerves when I see the vulgar military worship on display in the American media - especially when it comes to sports and the likes of the SuperBowl where they have the mandatory flyover and cut to the guys in Iraq/Afghanistan on the big screen during the national anthem. All the whooping and hollering like a bunch of fucking apes.

Then the vets come home and they are treated like subhuman dirt.

• Like 1

Mags - Len............is that such a bad thing though? Do other countries put out movies that are pro-that-country?

It seems like it's OK to be pro or proud of the country you live in - unless you live in America. If you are proud to be an American then you are an arrogant prick who thinks you are better than everybody else in the world. Just seems like a bit of a double standard.

Mags - Len............is that such a bad thing though? Do other countries put out movies that are pro-that-country?

It seems like it's OK to be pro or proud of the country you live in - unless you live in America. If you are proud to be an American then you are an arrogant prick who thinks you are better than everybody else in the world. Just seems like a bit of a double standard.

There's nothing wrong with a movie that champions the virtues of a given nation or state. But that's not what I was talking about nor Mags was addressing (not sure about Len, however).

The issue is whether American Sniper handles the topic of America's most deadly assign (EDT: damn auto-correct) assassin with context/critique versus a film that glamourizes and advocates for America's right to intervene militarily in other nations.

All countries have patriotic type films really, its just indicative of the overall national taste how heavy-handed they are or not. I wasn't being sarcastic though man, i was being serious, i love that shit on one level, id be a liar if i said i didnt.

Films are pure entertainment for me, almost cheap in that sense, its not a political stance for me and it doesnt have to be reflective of like, some kinda 'way' i believe in, just pure entertainment, no morality to it, nothing.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1