What's the Best G n' R Book You Have Read?

The best ones to me are Marc Canter's Reckless Road and Duff's.

The worst one is Adler's. I was shaking my head in despair every page. Poorly written, sounds like a teenager bragging about all the pussy he did and how he was always the one that was thinking about the band, his bandmates, how loyal he was bla bla bla.

Unpopular opinion here:

Have read both Davis "Wath You Bleed", and Wall's "WAR", and I think both books are great. Yes, they are sensationist, and propably largely inacurate, but also entertaining as fuck, and enhance GNR legacy as "baddest band in the world" better than boring, almost confession-like Duff book (sorry, but reading that book, I felt this guy almost feel guilty of what he was before 1993).

Slash book is good as well, too bad it ends in 2006...Hope for vol2 soon ;)

Duff book- I didn't enjoy it at all...I mean, yes maybe he is a great father, athlete, martial artist, college graduate etc... The problem is, I don't care about it at all...For me he will always be bassist of greatest band of all time, and a guy who wrote Its So Easy. Only reason someone would buy this book is because its book of GnR member, and its not enough GnR for me in it...

Didn't read Reckles Road yet, plan to purchase this since ages, I heard its more of a photo book, and Im not interested in photos at all... Is this worthy for the text alone ?

The worst one is Adler's. I was shaking my head in despair every page. Poorly written, sounds like a teenager bragging about all the pussy he did and how he was always the one that was thinking about the band, his bandmates, how loyal he was bla bla bla.

and how butthurt he is 'cos they fired him for anything

I already knew all this without reading it

I won't lose my money on this shit

Edited by Liquor & Whores

I'm not so sure. You get chucked out of gnr for taking drugs. That is a bit like being thrown out of China for eating rice.

While I understand what you're saying, I do think that Steven Adler's drug addiction went too far and he stopped being functional with and for the band. I wasn't there but if I were to believe these guys, they couldn't work with him anymore since he couldn't play for shit.

I'm not so sure. You get chucked out of gnr for taking drugs. That is a bit like being thrown out of China for eating rice.

While I understand what you're saying, I do think that Steven Adler's drug addiction went too far and he stopped being functional with and for the band. I wasn't there but if I were to believe these guys, they couldn't work with him anymore since he couldn't play for shit.

Yep. They didn't care that he took drugs; they cared that he took drugs to the point where he was too screwed up to play. Pretty much all of the former band members have supported and justified Steven's firing and have said that he was too wasted to work for extended periods of time. In Duff's book he even mentions threatening Steven's dealer with a gun to try to stop him from using, and it didn't help.

The best ones to me are Marc Canter's Reckless Road and Duff's.

Totally agree. Adler's book pissed me off. I'm glad I read a borrowed copy and didn't buy it. Everything in the book was just about how wonderful he was and how awful they were to fire him. He doesn't take responsibility for one damn thing in his own life, or so it seems.

And then there's the matter that has been mentioned in other threads: that Adler and his people totally screwed over the guy who originally ghostwrote the book for him, and didn't give that author credit or payment for the work.

Edited by stella

"Reckless Road" is the only (way to Appetite) GN'R bible!

I have now read Reckless Road and I love it. You feel like you are with them, in those clubs.

Mick Wall's book has so many inaccuracies that one wonders if he got all his information from the National Enquirer. Even the title - he calls Axl "William Axl Rose," which is not, and never has been, his name.

:lol: That made me laugh. National Enquirer!

Edited by BetterDay7

• 1 year later...
On 20.1.2015 at 5:50 PM, BetterDay7 said:

I have been working my way through the various band-related books, including those by the band members (Slash, Duff, Steven). Which other books do you like? I read Mick Wall's book about Axl. I thought it was totally bobbins (UK northern speak for sh**.) Turgid and misleading.

I might have a go with Reckless Road next.

Reckless Road.

• Like 1

Think i may need to give Reckless Road a go again! I got it for a holiday years ago but didn't find time to read it and i kinda forgot about it haha

I read Slash book and thought it was Ok, had some good stories.

I would love an Axl book to be released, would love to read about what happened after 1994 

I have read Mick wall's book about axl, duff's and steven's and i still have to continue with slash' book i also read some dutch translated books about Guns and another by Mick wall or something but i must say Duff's is an amazing read really, Mick about axl not so much AMD steven's book touched me emotionally and it was fun at some points

I read somewhere that an unofficial book about Izzy was written. I think a couple of the guys from JuJu hounds were quoted in it thinking it was legit, but it turned out not to be. I think jimmy Ashurst rather regretted being quoted in it. Anybody any ideas what the book was, my memory is sketchy.

Slash's book is  a fun read, but I was surprised what he remembered - I thought he was off his head most of the time. He remembered Hetfield skullboning a girl - WTF?  Suppose that'd stick in anyone's memory.

Reckless Road is great because you get a more balance view of their world.