What's the Best G n' R Book You Have Read?

I have been working my way through the various band-related books, including those by the band members (Slash, Duff, Steven). Which other books do you like? I read Mick Wall's book about Axl. I thought it was totally bobbins (UK northern speak for sh**.) Turgid and misleading.

I might have a go with Reckless Road next.

Edited by BetterDay7

I read one ages ago...as in like 20 years ago called Guns n Roses In Their Own Words by Mark Putterford. Quite liked it :) Slashes book too.

Reckless Road and Duff's book. Don't bother with the rest.

Whats wrong with Slashes you mini Iran startin' motherfucker? :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

I read one ages ago...as in like 20 years ago called Guns n Roses In Their Own Words by Mark Putterford. Quite liked it :) Slashes book too.

Reckless Road and Duff's book. Don't bother with the rest.

Whats wrong with Slashes you mini Iran startin' motherfucker? :lol:

I've only read half of it but the ghost-writer pretending to be bad-ass subject style is pretty boring. Duff may not be Hemingway (and he did have a little help with the writing), but there's still a sense of greater authenticity and genuine excitement in his book.

• Like 1

Slash's book was an okay read, a little clichéd but it does give you a vibe of that whole time period. Duff's is better written and a bit more personal, you're left with the impression he has really learned from life's journey. Reckless Road is an excellent record of the band's rise.

I haven't read any others. Still holding out for Axl's story. *takes a deep breath*

• Like 1

But it's not Slash trying to be hard, it's Anthony Bozza. That's why I specifically said ghost-writer. It's not a knock against Slash specifically, it's just a lot of these ghost-written "autobiographies" of rock stars end up trying to live up to expectations of bad-assery and become cliched and stale as a result. I'm sure Slash's life story could be told in a much more interesting and exciting manner than the Bozza book.

• Like 1

Don't ghostwriters just write what the cunts saying and just like, make it sound proper, so it don't come out like the written equivalent of Keith Richards clearing his throat over 300 plus pages?

Yeah but a man's life isn't just a series of bullet points, it's also about his own passions and thoughts, and a ghost-writer often doesn't get that across as well as a man capable of putting his own words to paper. Like I said, Duff's book isn't high literature but you can feel the excitement between the lines a lot more than in Slash's, even when they're recounting the same stories of getting drunk or getting crabs or whatever.

I did enjoy Arnie's "Total Recall", though, which was most likely 95% ghost-written, thought that guy did a pretty good job of getting The Spirit of Arnold across.

Reckless Road, Duff's, and Slash's book. Reckless Road is just badass, history in the making and a visual snapshot of that period in time. Steven's book was obviously not written by him and contains the least amount of real interesting information so that is the only one I would outright not read.

Edited by WhazUp

Reckless road is incomparable with others as mostly photographic history and it is a great one for every true fan of a band.

Among others, I would put Duff's on first place. Other books vary depending on what you expect from them, and I always put autobiographies in front of second hand stories.

I concur with what the others have said here: Duff's book, Reckless Road and Slash's book, in that order. I think Duff''s book is really perceptive and entertaining. He's legitimately a great writer. and I loved that at the end of the book, I had a clear picture of who he was as a human being, not just as a member of Guns N' Roses. And I also liked that he was very honest about his own shortcomings and addictions and didn't make excuses about them.

Reckless Road presents amazing documentation of the birth and development of the band, and those photos are golden. I don't think that sort of full photographic record, with dates, places, times and supporting documents, exists for any other big group.

Slash's book comes across as just another ghostwritten celebrity memoir in a lot of ways, but it's got some great insights nonetheless. Among the three book mentioned, Slash's is the only one I didn't buy; I just checked it out from the library to read.

It's not really a GnR book per se, but I also liked the GnR bits in Lonn M. Friend's Life from Planet Rock.

I'm not one for the "unathorised biographies" of the band, because I've never read one that's been accurate, and some of the biographers do have an axe to grind. I remember with the Mick Wall one he insisted on calling Axl "William Axl Rose" which isn't even the man's actual name. The most accurate third-party book about the band I've read, where the author actually seemed to do his homework for the most part, is Danny Sugerman's Appetite for Destruction. Considering he spends 85% of the text philisophizing about William Blake, Rimbaud and Shiva and comparing and contrasting Axl to them, that's saying a lot. I don't even count that as a biography; it's an esoteric philisophical study.

Edited by stella
  • Like 2