Rush Announce R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour [SPOILERS]

Powerage5

Do what Neil would do - buy a bottle of The Macallan 12 and enjoy the years of music they gave us.

I get that he wants to stay close to home and just be a dad without having to spend months rehearsing and touring, but if his ability to play is diminishing and he's in pain, he can't do tours anymore. I didn't get the impression he's fully retired or Rush is completely done.

At least his daughter got to see him in front of tens of thousands of people.

http://www.teamrock.com/features/2015-09-10/neil-peart-marching-to-the-beat-of-a-different-drum

Rush mainman Geddy Lee has moved to squash rumours that drummer Neil Peart had announced his retirement.

Peart gave an interview to Drumhead magazine in which he's quoted as saying he's happy to accept the description of himself as a "retired drummer," but Lee says his bandmate was merely confirming that he could no longer commit to lengthy tours.

Lee tells Prog: “There’s really nothing to say. I think Neil is just explaining his reasons for not wanting to tour, with the toll that it’s taking on his body. That’s all I would care to comment on it.

"We’ll get together eventually and chat about things. But in my view, there is certainly nothing surprising in what he said. Neil just feels that he has to explain with all the thousands of people asking, ‘Why no more tours?’ He needs to explain his side of it.”

Asked whether he feels Peart's quote was taken out of context, Lee adds: “I think that’s absolutely right. That’s their job. Talking about something when there’s nothing to talk about.”

Fans are clamouring for confirmation on whether Rush will continue to record and perform live. Peart previously said he wanted to spend more time with his family, while guitarist Alex Lifeson said he was largely over his health issues and wants to continue playing with the band.

Rush released live DVD, Blu-ray and CD package R40 last week.

So the fight goes on. The sense I had already gotten was that Peart didn't even want to do this recent tour, and that he was the primary voice against touring all along. Looks like the power play is spilling over into a dueling press release situation.

I just hope this doesn't end in Geddy and Alex touring with a replacement drummer. That would be a fucking travesty.

Geddy has always maintained that Rush is himself, Alex and Neil and that he's not interested in doing Rush without one or both of the other guys. However, this ongoing conflict has me a little worried. It did seem, if you read between the lines, that it was Neil who was most opposed to the tour. Alex chimed in and said he too is experiencing health problems with his arthritis and whatnot, but now he's changed his tune and wants to keep the band active so that seems like it may have been said to not single out Neil. It's probably a very sensitive situation for the boys because they obviously understand Neil but are stuck because they want to continue. Sure they could get someone like Mike Portnoy or something but would that really be Rush? I don't think so. I'd be happy for them to continue doing Rush music but call it something else.

• Like 1

Geddy has always maintained that Rush is himself, Alex and Neil and that he's not interested in doing Rush without one or both of the other guys. However, this ongoing conflict has me a little worried. It did seem, if you read between the lines, that it was Neil who was most opposed to the tour. Alex chimed in and said he too is experiencing health problems with his arthritis and whatnot, but now he's changed his tune and wants to keep the band active so that seems like it may have been said to not single out Neil. It's probably a very sensitive situation for the boys because they obviously understand Neil but are stuck because they want to continue. Sure they could get someone like Mike Portnoy or something but would that really be Rush? I don't think so. I'd be happy for them to continue doing Rush music but call it something else.

Can't get Portnoy this year - he's too busy touring with Twisted Sister, another band who said "this band is the originals, we wouldn't tour with the name without the true lineup." Meanwhile the Scorpions are still touring after announcing their retirement, and I've seen the Who (whose first farewell tour was 2 years before I was born) 4 times. Geddy strikes me as a dude with integrity, but I'm definitely starting to worry that they'll go back on this - especially after Geddy responded to Neil saying he was retired with "nuh-uh!"

Someone posted this on The Rush Forum - unfortunately, they didn't post a source:

Neil Peart to retire in three months after completion of current drum solo

TORONTO – Famed drummer Neil Peart has stunned the music world by announcing that he is set to retire in approximately three months, just as soon as he finishes his current drum solo. Peart, a founding member of the Canadian rock band Rush, made the announcement Tuesday during a concert at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre.

“There comes a time in every musician’s life where he has to admit that enough is enough”, Peart shouted while simultaneously commencing an epic 12-hour fulcrum roll, “I’ve seen the writing on the wall and I think my retirement will probably happen sometime in the next few months, or whenever I wrap up this solo.”
Peart’s comments caught many off-guard. Fans have already begun buying up Rush merchandise in preparation for the news that Peart’s face-melting drum solo has finally ended and that he will therefore be hanging up his sticks for good. Others have opted to just sit back and enjoy the marathon jackhammer sound Peart is delivering as they witness the swan song of a music legend.
“I mean when he blasted into the solo two Thursdays ago in the middle of Spirit of Radio, I was like ‘whoa’ we’re in for something sick here,” said James Mitchell, a fan in attendance at the now-historic concert, “but then a few weeks later when he grabs the mic during the solo’s sweet two-day long double paradiddle on his multi-snare setup to tell us all he was retiring, we were just blown away. I knew then we only had another few precious weeks of blistering machine gun noise before it was official.”
“Boom boom ba-bats ba-bats ba-bats ba-bats, paratatatataat parrrrrrrrrraatatatatatat ch-kts ch-kts ch-kts tsh tsh tsh,” interjected Peart touchingly, “Skiddaboom boom boom skidda-tsh skidds-tsh dg dg dg dg dg dg KA-TSH!”
By Wednesday, Peart had used over 95% of his 360 degree rotating drum kit and had finally begun to slow the tempo. Many in the crowd speculated that the conclusion of a 35-hour xylophone portion signaled that the solo would soon come to an end. However, this was apparently an intentional misdirect by the musician, as he took the lull as an opportunity to lower a second drum kit from the rafters to keep the solo going, all the while thanking fans for their support as he makes his graceful, blistering exit.
“I mean, he pulls out a frickin’ Djembe!” enthused Mitchell, “Who DOES that?!”
The announcement is not without precedent. Van Morrison famously proclaimed that he was both retiring from touring and recommencing touring in the middle of a three week long keyboard solo during an Amsterdam concert. Jam band Phish is still in the midst of a largely improvised farewell version of Run Like an Antelope which was begun three years ago and shows no sign of abating.
“I’m going to use these final few months to wrap up my business affairs, deal with some lingering intellectual property issues with the band, maybe pen a few more deeply philosophical songs for the boys to use after I’m done, and, of course, keep the flow going on this solo and bring it to a real nasty peak,” Peart continued as he transitioned from a flam tap to a day-long exploration of the piccolo snare, “If I have any regrets it’ll be not being able to play any more with [bandmates] Geddy and Alex…. Oh and that double ratamacue section I launched into last Friday or Saturday – too long.”

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Went and saw Time Stand Still tonight, and it was good - not sure I'd say it was great

For starters, it isn't really what it was advertised as, that being a documentary about the R40 tour. Technically it is, yes, but in reality there is very little content about the tour; the only shows mentioned at all were Tulsa, Toronto, and LA, and the names of a few other dates flashed across the screen throughout. The documentary was more about the fans, and how to accept that something is coming to an end (Which, without 100% outright saying it, it's made fairly clear that this is indeed the end at least in terms of a live band). I'd have liked to see more content about the tour itself - stories from the road, mentioning the Ben Mink/Jonathan Dinklage guest spots, etc. 

Beyond that, there wasn't really a clear narrative throughout - it felt sort of pieced together. There was an unnecessary 15-20 minute segment at the beginning about the band in the 70's, and while it had some good anecdotes, it felt out of place. Then, as soon as they'd get the ball rolling, they'd veer off and talk about one particular fan for five minutes. It just felt very...disjointed. 

I will say for it that it captured the emotional impact of this tour extremely well, both for the band and the fans. All in all I liked it well enough, but I thought Beyond The Lighted Stage was a better crafted film.

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Went and saw Time Stand Still tonight, and it was good - not sure I'd say it was great

For starters, it isn't really what it was advertised as, that being a documentary about the R40 tour. Technically it is, yes, but in reality there is very little content about the tour; the only shows mentioned at all were Tulsa, Toronto, and LA, and the names of a few other dates flashed across the screen throughout. The documentary was more about the fans, and how to accept that something is coming to an end (Which, without 100% outright saying it, it's made fairly clear that this is indeed the end at least in terms of a live band). I'd have liked to see more content about the tour itself - stories from the road, mentioning the Ben Mink/Jonathan Dinklage guest spots, etc. 

Beyond that, there wasn't really a clear narrative throughout - it felt sort of pieced together. There was an unnecessary 15-20 minute segment at the beginning about the band in the 70's, and while it had some good anecdotes, it felt out of place. Then, as soon as they'd get the ball rolling, they'd veer off and talk about one particular fan for five minutes. It just felt very...disjointed. 

I will say for it that it captured the emotional impact of this tour extremely well, both for the band and the fans. All in all I liked it well enough, but I thought Beyond The Lighted Stage was a better crafted film.

There was a documentary called "Springsteen and I" that was about the fans of Bruce. 

The promo said "backstage and behind the scenes for the first time ever" but what about Rush in Rio?? 

• Like 1

Sounds like I didn't miss much buy opting for the "wait and buy the Blu-ray later" option. It's a shame because their other documentaries are fantastic. Obviously Beyond The Lighted Stage but also the Rush In Rio tour documentary and The Game of Snakes & Arrows album documentary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

Sounds like I didn't miss much buy opting for the "wait and buy the Blu-ray later" option. It's a shame because their other documentaries are fantastic. Obviously Beyond The Lighted Stage but also the Rush In Rio tour documentary and The Game of Snakes & Arrows album documentary.

I mean, don't get me wrong - it's fine for what it is. It's just...not what I expected.