Rush Announce R40 Live 40th Anniversary Tour [SPOILERS]

Powerage5

Ahhh. LA show at the Forum. I checked the prices. It ranged from $65-200 including fees. It's a tad steep for me. Plus, I'm seeing Foo Fighters 1.5 months after that date, so I probably don't have the budget to commit and see Rush.

It's a bloody shame. Every tour, since they came back (with the exception of R30), the setlists has been pretty darn great and different enough to watch the DVD releases and I'm sure this tour would be no different.

I don't think the R30 setlist is bad or anything, but it's definitely my least favorite since the comeback. Time Machine was my favorite - that setlist was damn near perfect.

I'll do at least one Toronto date and possibly Buffalo too. I'll be careful about how many multiples I do this year because I'm saving that money for AC/DC. I'm hoping for a bit less of a deep cuts set this time too. As much as I loved hearing so much eighties material last time, the crowd momentum was dead at both shows I saw which really affects the overall experience for me.

I agree - I loved the setlist last tour, but it was pretty evident at every gig I saw that most of the crowd didn't.
Indeed. You know the atmosphere is bad when people are leaving for a beer during The Big Money - the second song and one that is hardly a deep cut. Even though Subdivisions is my favourite song and generally goes down well it was too slow of an opener. Following it with a bunch of deep cuts and the crowd was gone.

I like your idea of one song per album and the leftover hits at the end. That'd make a fun setlist that the crowd would know and enjoy. I also agree that Time Machine was as close to perfect as a Rush show gets. The setlist, the videos, the energy... All top notch.

Edited by James Bond

One per album plus hits eh? Let's see. Here's what I'm thinking

1. Working Man

2. By-Tor & the Snow Dog

3. Bastille Day

4. 2112 (in its entirety!!!!! Most likely, though, Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Grand Finale)

5. Xanadu

6. La Villa Strangiato

7. The Spirit of Radio

8. Tom Sawyer

9. Subdivisions

10. Distant Early Warning

11. Hmmm. Power Windows is tough. They played 3-4 songs from it during Clockwork Angels tour and they did Marathon in the Time Machine Tour.

12. Mission

13. The Pass

14. Roll The Bones (yes, I like that song. Including the rap with the skull singing in the video)

15. Animate

16. Half The World

17. One Little Victory

18. Summertime Blues

19. Far Cry

20. The Garden

Other songs may include Freewill, Limelight, YYZ, Headlong Flight, Closer To The Heart, and probably Red Barchetta.

• Like 1

This is the setlist I posted on Reddit:

1. Finding My Way

2. Anthem

3. Bastille Day

4. A Passage To Bangkok

5. Xanadu

6. The Trees

7. Entre Nous

8. Red Barchetta

9. The Weapon

10. Afterimage

11. Grand Designs

---Intermission---

12. Force Ten

13. Presto

14. Ghost Of A Chance

15. Between Sun & Moon

16. Resist (Acoustic)

17. Secret Touch

18. Spindrift

19. Headlong Flight

20. The Spirit Of Radio

21. YYZ

22. Closer To The Heart

23. Subdivisions

24. Tom Sawyer

---

25. Working Man

26. 2112: Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale

Obviously, I didn't take into account how recently some of these have been played, I just tried to put together a nice, flowing setlist.

• Like 1

Let me start off by saying I would probably pay to see either of the setlists above. The very rare early deep cuts would balance out the 80s songs I don't really care about. But this setlist would make me pay $500.

1. Finding My Way

2. Anthem

3. Between Sun & Moon

4. A Passage To Bangkok

5. The Spirit Of Radio

6. Closer To The Heart

7. Caravan

8. Beneath, Between & Behind

9. Red Barchetta

10. The Big Money

11. Seven Cities Of Gold

12. By-Tor & The Snow Dog

13. Take A Friend

14. Freewill

15. Something For Nothing

16. Headlong Flight

17. Fly By Night

18. Far Cry

19. In The Mood

20. In The End

ENCORE:

21. 2112: Overture/The Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale (or the full thing if they're feeling risky)

22. La Villa Strangiato

23. Working Man

Songs that could be rotated in on the tour: Best I Can, Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Limelight, Lessons, Bastille Day.

Geddy Lee would surely be dead after this lol.

Opening with Finding My Way would be absolutely awesome.

I would arguably pay $200 to see them open with Finding My Way, even if they weren't playing one other song I liked (unrealistic, but you get how much I love that song). Unfortunately, it would destroy Geddy's voice. I'd settle for the Overture instrumental version like they did on R30, just so it gets played, along with some others Geddy can't sing anymore.

HELL YEAH!!!!

Hoping for some awesome 70s material like Xanadu, Hemispheres, Jacob's Ladder, Anthem, etc. Clockwork Angels really showcased a lot of great post- Moving Pictures material but I sadly missed it. I wouldn't mind some more of that too.

I'll definitely do what I can to make a gig, it'd be my first time seeing them. They were actually my first rock concert back in 2007 for the Snakes and Arrows Tour. I still have the ticket stub.

One of my favorite bands :headbang:

I'm going to the Detroit gig ;)

But don't get your hopes up for 70's material - they don't do much of it anymore because Geddy has a hard time singing the early stuff.

I saw them on the Counterparts and Test For Echo tours. I may go see them again if you guys are going.

Got my Buffalo tickets today - 12th row in the lower bowl the section right next to the stage, Alex's side. I hoped for better, but still the best seats I've had for Rush since 2010 :)

Exactly where I was when I saw them in Hamilton on the CA tour. Had an eye contact moment with Alex :D

• Like 1

I saw that Buffalo went on sale today but I'm going to wait and do a Toronto one first during the pre-sale next Friday. Basically I want to make sure I secure those tickets before I decide on doing a second show, at which point I won't care where I'm sitting for the second one as long as I'm there. Technically Buffalo is a closer drive but nothing beats seeing Rush in their hometown, and that's something I've done every tour since 2007.

• Like 1

I saw that Buffalo went on sale today but I'm going to wait and do a Toronto one first during the pre-sale next Friday. Basically I want to make sure I secure those tickets before I decide on doing a second show, at which point I won't care where I'm sitting for the second one as long as I'm there. Technically Buffalo is a closer drive but nothing beats seeing Rush in their hometown, and that's something I've done every tour since 2007.

I haven't seen Rush in Toronto since 2008 - really excited to do so again! :D

I've never seen Rush in Toronto, so it's kind of a necessity this time around. I've seen them here in London, in Hamilton, and in Sarnia, so southern Ontario has been covered otherwise haha. I'm still trying to figure things out, but it needs to be done.

^^ You and Me both, man. I think if Rush announced their tour before Foo Fighters did, I might have gone for it, but I don't have the budget to go to two big-time arena shows in the span of two months. At the end of it all, I'm heading to see Foo Fighters with my sister (who got me the tickets for Christmas) and there is no way I can convince her to see Rush with me and I don't know anyone I know that would want to see Rush with me and I don't want to go and drive alone. Such a shame.

Heck, I went to see Slash/Myles/Conspirators and Alter Bridge in the span of three months, and after the AB show, my ears was like "Enough for now. No loud concerts for a while. I mean, those were fun concerts, but let's dial it back for now"

Edited by Anguyen92

Zeppelin/JB - any word if you guys wanna go in together on tickets for either Toronto gig? I'm hoping to get mine in the presale on Friday, but if either of you think there's a chance of doing it and need more time to figure it out, I'd be fine waiting until the general on-sale next Friday :)

Zeppelin/JB - any word if you guys wanna go in together on tickets for either Toronto gig? I'm hoping to get mine in the presale on Friday, but if either of you think there's a chance of doing it and need more time to figure it out, I'd be fine waiting until the general on-sale next Friday :)

Friday is my plan but I may end up waiting for the general. A few things unfortunately came up this week that took financial priority, but I will let you know as soon as I can!