Fuck Rasp.

parisrocks

Speak English, Brazil.

No matter how bad Axl voice is, when you're there it sounds good.

If they're using a giant PA sound system. That's very important. Don't forget.

I assume they weren't using that in the gig I saw in Mallorca, 2012. Axl sounded like utter shit, exactly as he did in the YouTube videos of that show. :shrugs:

Speak English, Brazil.

Gotta disagree. It's harder to tell because he's harder to hear because the mix is always shit at GNR shows, but I knew Hammerstein was pretty good. I knew You're Crazy was good at Brooklyn Bowl while the rest of the show was not. I knew Terminal 5 was fucking terrible. You can ignore it more easily because, like I said, there's just this wall of noise coming at you, but if you care to listen for his voice, you can tell. The only show I wasn't sure about was MSG 2006, and that was because you couldn't hear him at all.

If you're not blindfolding yourself, it's not too hard to tell when Axl sounds like utter shit. I have had the pleasure to have seen that man killing it on stage. His If The World performance in Peru left me speechless so, excuse me if I refuse to lower that bar but it was set up by Rose himself.

• Like 1

Speak English, Brazil.

Gotta disagree. It's harder to tell because he's harder to hear because the mix is always shit at GNR shows, but I knew Hammerstein was pretty good. I knew You're Crazy was good at Brooklyn Bowl while the rest of the show was not. I knew Terminal 5 was fucking terrible. You can ignore it more easily because, like I said, there's just this wall of noise coming at you, but if you care to listen for his voice, you can tell. The only show I wasn't sure about was MSG 2006, and that was because you couldn't hear him at all.

Yeah, I don't think it works in all cases. The youtube videos from Hamilton '11 were much better than say, Chicago 2012, where he sounded his worst. I have a hard time believing that people actually at the HoB show in Chicago were blown away by his vocals.

Then again, perhaps most people just don't know. There's only a small percentage of fans who will compare vocal performances. For the guy who hasn't bothered to check out videos from 2006 or 2010, maybe Axl's weaker vocals are fine?

If you're not blindfolding yourself, it's not too hard to tell when Axl sounds like utter shit. I have had the pleasure to have seen that man killing it on stage. His If The World performance in Peru left me speechless so, excuse me if I refuse to lower that bar but it was set up by Rose himself.

Good point. His If The World performance I saw on São Paulo 2010 was also mindblowing. This I Love too.

Good point. His If The World performance I saw on São Paulo 2010 was also mindblowing. This I Love too.

It was easier for me to listen to his Chinese Democracy performances because nobody knew the songs so nobody was singing along, the building was in complete silence. I was in the first row so Axl was singing in my hear for the most part. :lol:

They didn't perform This I Love, but I wish they have. The performances I have seen from that year were truly great.

It was easier for me to listen to his Chinese Democracy performances because nobody knew the songs so nobody was singing along, the building was in complete silence. I was in the first row so Axl was singing in my hear for the most part. :lol:

They didn't perform This I Love, but I wish they have. The performances I have seen from that year were truly great.

Did you get to see Shackler's Revenge? On South America 2010, the performances were mindblowing:

This Axl performance leaves me speechless everytime. This voice, the energy. The effort, you know? You can see that for a few moments he gives a shit and he actually enjoys it.

Edited by ManetsBR

He's tired of the same old shit. Like all of us. When they play TWAT, Prostitute, Yesterdays, Riff Raff, Whole Lotta Rosie, My Michelle... Anything new or different from the usual Axl gives it his all, and when his voice is in good shape the results give you goosebumps - Prostitute at Vegas for example.

Elvis sounded best at his fattest. Meat Loaf sounded best at his fattest. Yeah, I'd agree weight has nothing to do with it.

ITA. Luciano Pavarotti, anyone? Mama Cass? Adele? It's about his overall health, the shape his vocal cords are in (the fact that he already had enough damage to need vocal cord surgery when he was 26 doesn't bode well there), and training; none of which we know anything about with him.

Speak English, Brazil.

I'd agree with this, in part...I think it's perhaps more that when you're at the show, you don't care, because he's still so charismatic onstage. When you're there in person, there's a lot of energy, and he totally brings it in terms of stage presence and intensity. It doesn't necessarily always come across on the YouTube videos, but IMHO, at the shows I saw, it was there in person.

I went to the Wiltern show a few years ago and when I later looked up some videos on YouTube from it, I was actually shocked, because I'd thought Axl sounded a lot better in person.

And I also think that he still sounds pretty good on the songs that don't require him to reach the upper register or rasp (at all, or very much) - Patience, Estranged, Civil War, Mr. Brownstone, etc. You can see that on Chinese Democracy, too - he sounds so much better on, say, Madagascar or There Was A Time than he does on Scraped, where the top notes sound as though he's on helium/

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

The performance of TIL in Arnhem that year was probably the best vocal I've ever seen Axl deliver. Stunningly good. Think it's on YouTube.

Of course if you follow a band live for any period of time it's not going to be magic every time, especially with a singer who has that raw, rough style that Axl has. Yeah, I don't doubt his doctors have told him to lay off the rasp, that's fine. But I don't think many here would agree that he couldn't give better than he has been doing lately. Showing up underrehearsed, out of shape and trawling through the same setlist year after year simply isn't excusable. I'll go back to Meat Loaf again - I've seen him 2 weeks after he had heart surgery, and when he was running a huge fever. Some nights he was amazing, some nights he was very obviously struggling but I never doubted his commitment and that he was absolutely working his arse off and giving 100%, so I didn't mind and neither did the crowds on his off nights. When you're working that hard the crowd knows it and respects it. At that fever show he was backing songs up because he missed notes - he'd do the same part 2 or 3 times until he hit it and when he did the applause was rapturous. Axl just doesn't seem that committed anymore.

Edited by tomfriend

My take on this: I was at Lubbock 2013 and in the first row. Axl sounded brilliant for the first 5 songs. He sounded good the rest of the way. His voice would get clean starting on rocket queen but it sounded really really good! I knew how it would translate though. The show was similar to many shows in 2013 except for rasp at the end of estranged and rasp on PC. I wish I had seen a 2010 show for good comparison.

Axl doesn't rehearse. He tells everyone this. End of estranged at rio 11 that was the first time they played the song with Axl.

If we see a full restoration to his voice then I'll say he's been working on it, like 03-05 he did something. Bach got him with a vocalist coach who helped him in 06 but Axl said it made him sick.

Drinking alcohol doesn't tell me that he's taking care of his voice, so while we can't say with 100% certainty that Axl doesn't practice or take care of his voice we can say that it's very unlikely Axl does any practice or any vocal work in over a decade.

So that's probably why we haven't heard his full power voice in a while.

The curious part about this chat is that everybody says they can't hear Axl at the gigs. My question and I don't think anyone here can answer it definitely is, do the sound engineers working for Guns get asked to keep Axl audible for the first couple of songs and slowly bring him up when he's warmed up...? seems to be the case.

The curious part about this chat is that everybody says they can't hear Axl at the gigs. My question and I don't think anyone here can answer it definitely is, do the sound engineers working for Guns get asked to keep Axl audible for the first couple of songs and slowly bring him up when he's warmed up...? seems to be the case.

Seems to depend on the quality of Axl's voice. 2010 he was higher in the mix, 2012 definitely not, then the latter half of Vegas 14 he was higher in the mix again.

Everybody I have shown Appetite for Democracy that doesn't follow the band like we do LAUGHED THEIR ASSES OFF at how fat Axl is and how shitty he sounds.

I saw portions on mtv or some bullshit like that and removing the huge gnr fan in me; it's hard to argue against reactions like that.

What's up with Axl's voice on the studio version of Madagascar? Listening to it now and I forgot how off it sounds.

I've always thought so too. When I heard the first leak, I thought for sure that it was a scratch vocal. I was all excited to hear the final version only to find out it was the some shitty vocal track.

What's up with Axl's voice on the studio version of Madagascar? Listening to it now and I forgot how off it sounds.

He said after a live performance that he sings it in an old man voice because he was inspired by the old man and the sea.

Remember Rock in Rio 2001 when Axl started talking during its so easy and giving orders to the security man to "get that guy out of here"?

That's probably the most effective type of voice that axl has these days

THAT VOICE -- low & mean -- is still intact

If I was Axl I'd stop torturing (and possibly embarassing) myself trying to hit impossible high notes and trying to sing like its 1991 and I'd sing Appetite stuff only on special occasions.

And more important, I'd write new songs using THAT voice.

• Like 1