Side Projects Everywhere!

Sorry, I know it feels like we have a lot of topics going on right now, but I was interested in everyone's opinion on all these side projects.

I mentioned in one that all the side projects almost all but confirm that the next GNR album will consist of material from the CD era.

Nobody knows if Bumble is in the band, but clearly he's given up on writing for GNR. He's set to release a bunch of his own stuff that I'm sure were ideas for GNR at one time.

Richard and Frank have their little album getting ready for release.

DJ is doing his Sixx album but maintains he's written for GNR.

I don't know, it seems they've all been given creative freedom to do stuff away from GNR. I guess what happened after Vegas when Axl was thinking seriously about the next album was that he's going to finish CD. I think he was on the fence of writing with the current band or going with stuff they already had and I think Axl is making the right choice here by finish CD.

This is his thing. He's defined by GNR, not Richard, not Tommy, not Frank, not DJ or Bumble. The side projects by these guys I believe have been bottled up a while, but Axl feels his best material lies with the Bucket and Robin GNR, so he's going to run with it and let the other guys express their creative freedoms elsewhere.

What do you guys think is going on? Is it a lot of side projects for one band to partake in? Or is this just the new normal?

Ok maybe this was a bad idea haha

I just thought it was interesting that a band would branch out and do stuff creatively in a independent environment instead of creating for the band that they are in!

A bunch of projects have come out this year and maybe it's a coincidence that we are starting to get 2015 album rumors for GNR. Indicating that the current GNR doesn't write together or make new music (ok laugh bc most of us knew this) but instead If the album does arrive it will be filled with CD era music, because what the individual members of this band are doing is applying their writing and creativity into smaller independent projects bc Axl has no use for them.

I believe people only have so much quality creative ability inside them. You can't put 100% effort into multiple projects and then say that each individual project received the best you could possibly offer.

Every hour DJ spent writing, composing and practicing Sixx AM songs was one less hour that he spent dedicated to GnR.

This isn't an insult or knock on anybody. It is simply a matter of the amount of time in a day. The hundreds of hours dedicated to Sixx could have been spent practicing and improving his GnR song skills. Every great song idea could have been attempted to turn into a GnR song. Were all the song ideas floated by Axl first.....so Sixx just got the rejects? Doubtful.

The funny thing is the hypocritical double-standard some fans have. The same people that praise Axl for not rushing, for taking his time, and throw out the "quality over quantity" statement to defend Axl's lack of material are often fhe SAME people that say DJ and the other guys have sooo much creativity ability that its no problem for them to write great songs for multiple projects at the same time. Think about that.

My guess is Axl has enough old material (Slash/Izzy, robin, fortus, tommy, bucket/brain stuff), and new material (Rose/Ashba), I mean Ashba wrote 13 songs for GnR! And sebastian Bach heard some of them in 2010!

And I'm sure since 2008, band members share bewteen them enough arrangements, overdubs... They all have their own studios. No need to create brand new songs with everybody in the same room.

Plus, Axl was recording some vocals during the last summer, and we all know that vocals were the last thing recording in the songwriting process of CD.

The Vault is full of songs. Are we talking about CDII and the remix album? Is CDII a double album?

Edited by Silent Jay

Makes sense if the band is on hiatus. No point keeping everyone from remaining active if there isn't anything to give them to do. Maybe Axl wanted to take a year off. Maybe he's sorting things out with the label/lawyers about the next album? Who really knows other than those involved. Having GNR members remain active musically makes sense in either of these cases.

• Like 1

Is this really much different from what's gone on years prior? Up until Finck left, things were different (especially with CD not being out ) but now Axl's a bit more lax because he really doesn't have much of an option.

What's he supposed to do, force everyone to live together in a cabin in the woods and "live only for CDII" for the next decade? Maybe he had that
kind of pull at one point, but not anymore.

"Axl feels his best material lies with the Bucket and Robin GNR, so he's going to run with it and let the other guys express their creative freedoms elsewhere. "

And this as well. I'm buying into the idea that Axl is sitting on a lot of material, so much that he doesn't have a need for any of the guys in the band other than in a capacity of re-recording something or playing a simple part, and playing live shows.

Were this a normal band then yeah, all of the side projects might come off as odd, but that hasn't been the case in a long time.

Edited by jbhutto

Maybe some of these guys feel GNR is their side project.

Seems that some don't get a chance to create in or for GNR and have no say in anything the so-called "band" does.

As a musician, wouldn't your main project or projects be the ones where you, you know, actually create music and then release it? Where you have some sort of control over the operation of the band you're in?

• Like 1

He's set to release a bunch of his own stuff that I'm sure were ideas for GNR at one time.

How do you know that?

I believe people only have so much quality creative ability inside them. You can't put 100% effort into multiple projects and then say that each individual project received the best you could possibly offer.

Every hour DJ spent writing, composing and practicing Sixx AM songs was one less hour that he spent dedicated to GnR.

This isn't an insult or knock on anybody. It is simply a matter of the amount of time in a day. The hundreds of hours dedicated to Sixx could have been spent practicing and improving his GnR song skills. Every great song idea could have been attempted to turn into a GnR song. Were all the song ideas floated by Axl first.....so Sixx just got the rejects? Doubtful.

The funny thing is the hypocritical double-standard some fans have. The same people that praise Axl for not rushing, for taking his time, and throw out the "quality over quantity" statement to defend Axl's lack of material are often fhe SAME people that say DJ and the other guys have sooo much creativity ability that its no problem for them to write great songs for multiple projects at the same time. Think about that.

Care to elaborate? otherwise you are just shitposting and stir up some shit (again...)

He's set to release a bunch of his own stuff that I'm sure were ideas for GNR at one time.

How do you know that?

When I say that I'm sure, I mean that in my opinion based on some videos such as that Argentina song where he said he wrote this for GNR, that his upcoming material will be branched from songs he wrote for gnr that never got consideration. We'll find out tomorrow on yahoo I believe.

Nobody knows if Bumble is in the band, but clearly he's given up on writing for GNR. He's set to release a bunch of his own stuff that I'm sure were ideas for GNR at one time.

In his defense, the music BBF writes outside of Guns not only gets a release, but he allows teasers (ruff takes, demo songs, recording footage) to go on social media well before its actual release.

I like that approach.

How do you know that?

When I say that I'm sure, I mean that in my opinion based on some videos such as that Argentina song where he said he wrote this for GNR, that his upcoming material will be branched from songs he wrote for gnr that never got consideration. We'll find out tomorrow on yahoo I believe.

Oh i totally forgot that :lol:

also what will happen on yahoo? i'm out of the loop at the moment, sorry if this discussed before

In his defense, the music BBF writes outside of Guns not only gets a release, but he allows teasers (ruff takes, demo songs, recording footage) to go on social media well before its actual release.

I like that approach.

Haha poor Axl thought that was a good approach too about 10 years ago...I think he's learned that for him atleast this kind of transparency only brought about critics and disappointment. I imagine Axl will hold everything tight if he gives it another go with a new album.

How do you know that?

Oh i totally forgot that :lol:

also what will happen on yahoo? i'm out of the loop at the moment, sorry if this discussed before

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/208886-bumblefoot-new-album-little-brother-is-watching-title-track-debut-tomorrow/

https://twitter.com/bumblefoot/status/560234128034246656

I don't see a problem with the side projects - the band is in downtime at the moment anyway. I've also never got the argument that if it weren't for all the side projects then we'd have a new album sooner. If anything surely it's the other way around - if the guys could be more creative in Guns then they wouldn't feel the desire to do other stuff. For whatever reason Axl just doesn't have the desire to get the guys in a room and write and record a new album.

If the songs were any good, Axl would have told Bumble to keep them for a GNR album. They're basically rejects.

And I don't get this idea that the next GNR album must be either the current band or the Buckethead/Finck era. Just put out the best 12 songs - from whenever they were made.

If the songs were any good, Axl would have told Bumble to keep them for a GNR album. They're basically rejects.

Ron has no obligation to show Axl any songs or present anything to GNR. The songs on the new BBF album are BBF songs, not GNR rejects.

"little album"? really? Richard's easily one of the best musicians in the whole band.

How many records will Frank and Richard sell?

Anyways there are some red flags with this stuff. Axl has no plans to work with this group now or in the future it seems. Obviously we don't know that for a fact, but to me it says the next album is going to be huge in terms of content. I think Axl will put everything out on the table, but I also believe it will be his last album.

This next album in my opinion is done, it has vocals from either 06 or 00 on it.

How do you know that?

Care to elaborate? otherwise you are just shitposting and stir up some shit (again...)

Crash - naw, sorry bro. I'm not going to dumb down comments so that you are able to understand them. My statement was pretty straight forward, was directly to the point - there is literally nothing to elaborate on. LOL - shitposting and stirring up shit - coming from you I'll take that as a compliment. If you hate my posts so much, put me on ignore and then you won't have to read them. Tell us again why you changed your name on here? Oh yea, you got banned. Talk about shitposting and stirring up shit!!!!