Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig Cast in New Ghostbusters

Dazey

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I think I have criticised every single reboot (I have bothered to comment on) here, irrespective of their gender selection. I'm pretty well known for hating reboots here haha (hence a few run ins with Apollo). See the Star Trek thread.

In my opinion, the originals of any great film franchise should be left alone.

The female thing is obviously trying too hard to appeal to the political correct lobby, but it certainly would have stunk with males in the role also.

In the end, who am but, but personally, I've got no problems with someone who at least consistently disparages the rebooting trend that has been prevalent the past fifteen years.  If you dislike and do not watch rehashed movies, that's cool.  But again, I'm not sure if many who have trashed this movie have illustrated the same level of consistency in their criticisms.

Definitely don't agree with your need to tar the film as having some form of agenda.  They're attempting to do something different.  How many more male-driven action/sci-fi films do we need?  

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:35 PM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I sit here on the eve of the reviews being released genuinly depressed by this film. The big finale scene has the girl ghostbusters shooting the giant white ghost in the crotch. That's how he gets defeated. Crossing the streams doesn't work, no but shooting it in the crotch does. Not only that, but every single male in this movie is either A. A fucking moron B. An asshole or C. Completely weird an off putting. Not a single "normal" guy in this shitfest. Now I have a lot of issues with this film, not based on sexism, but this crosses the fucking line. If a studio released a film in 2016 where every woman was a bitch, a bimbo, a slut, etc without having 1 "normal girl" in it, the SJW would be picketing outside the film. But it's ok to do the same thing to men? That's what feminism is to these people? That pisses me off as a male with a young son, sorry it just does.

But beyond all that, I'm sad that this is HOW it ends.

Let me elaborate.... I've followed the ghostbusters saga (meaning everything since gb2 credits rolled) like we all followed the CD/gnr saga. Yes I've been that interested, that "involved" if you will. Back in the 90s, when internet was new, I would look for ANY information on a 3rd movie, usually to no avail. If I'm honest with you all, my 3 most search topics were guns n roses, ghostbusters, and Freddy vs Jason. Those were the topics I researched all the time. Which unfortunately for me, I must be a sucker for punishment, because all three left me bruised and battered. Freddy vs Jason came first (i was there opening night), not great, but whatever, at least it finally happened after 10 plus years in the making. The guns n roses story, well I don't need to tell you all how that went (but at least I'm Finally happy with the state of things 20 years later). Finally Ghostbusters, the biggest let down of them all. I don't really need to go into a lot of detail, I think you all know my feelings by now. The short version is a reboot fucking sucks, you can't pretend the original team never happened, that's just a terrible way to relaunch a franchise. I could get on board with the female thing, if it was a sequel, but not with a reboot. Plus it just looks fucking terrible, like what the fuck were they thinking type bad. 

But anyways, I sit here tonight a long time fan that is watching something beautiful die a tragic death. There isn't any coming back from this, no reunion to mend these wounds. Nope it's just going to die. One of the best films I have ever seen, is getting a black eye thanks to this cunt (and I mean cunt). Ghostbusters will be no more, the journey is over, and the destination is a massive let down.

Ghostbusters had one good movie, and a whole slew of terrible TV shows, spin off, video games, and merchandise. Not to mention an abysmal sequel.

So all and all, 'one of the best films that you've ever seen' has a long and well documented legacy of being punctuated by heaps of garbage, cheap, cash grab content.

Your franchise has been dead for decades. A black eye isn't gonna hurt.

You're taking this shit way too seriously if it has that much of a negative emotional impact on you. Buy the old movie and watch it through the pansy boy tears of your childhood.

That said, this movie looks like garbage, probably won't see it.

Edited by Dan H.

31 minutes ago, downzy said:

Well, how serious was that teasing?  Did anyone really believe that a bunch of senior citizens (even before Ramis died) would dawn the uniforms again?  Plus according to Murray, the script he was presented with by Ackroyd and co. was pretty terrible.  It kind of makes sense that the series is being rebooted now following the passing of Ramis.  

Perhaps those are your own reasons, but most of the objections on here and elsewhere on the web stem from the fact that the film cast four females as the lead characters.  To say the Ghostbusters is a sacred cow and shouldn't be touched is absurd.  As the reviewer in the Globe and Mail review stated, where was the outrage with all the other reboots of 80s franchises?  I don't think not liking the film once having seen it is being indicative of someone being a misogynist (unless of course it stems from the cast being female), but I do think some self-introspection is required if you've already made your mind up before even seeing it.  

Well, one of the rumored plots was that the aging originals were going to retire and they wanted to pass the torch to a new generation of Ghostbusters. I would be totally okay if they had an all female cast for the new generation. It just would have been cool if they just did it while everyone was still alive and give us the sequel that Dan Ackroyd has been teasing us. For me it was over when Ramis passed away. Egon was my favorite.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, downzy said:

Well, how serious was that teasing?  Did anyone really believe that a bunch of senior citizens (even before Ramis died) would dawn the uniforms again?  Plus according to Murray, the script he was presented with by Ackroyd and co. was pretty terrible.  It kind of makes sense that the series is being rebooted now following the passing of Ramis.  

Perhaps those are your own reasons, but most of the objections on here and elsewhere on the web stem from the fact that the film cast four females as the lead characters.  To say the Ghostbusters is a sacred cow and shouldn't be touched is absurd.  As the reviewer in the Globe and Mail review stated, where was the outrage with all the other reboots of 80s franchises?  I don't think not liking the film once having seen it is being indicative of someone being a misogynist (unless of course it stems from the cast being female), but I do think some self-introspection is required if you've already made your mind up before even seeing it.  

Thats the 'there is no Dana only Zool' one innit? Yeah it was alright!

As for the charge of misogyny, I dont care, I'm just taking the piss out of it because I can, not much of a fan of the originals, saw em somewhere in the early 90s on the telly, weren't some big love of mine and like Dies' before me I also have been a consistent critic of reboots and sequels and obvious ham-fisted reconfiguring of dated iconography that is at least uninspired and at worst some sort of insipid ill-concieved attempted at serving some sort of agenda.  And i have no problem with a feminist agenda either, noooo problem at all...and even a militant one, it can be brutally anti-masculine if it wants...but uninspired and unoriginal i cannot abide.

It's awful. I'm a big fan of Wiig and McCarthy, and the backlash was so obnoxious I was hoping they'd pull it off but it's a colossal waste of time. And Thor gets the only laughs which fairly embarrassing considering he's by far the least talented cast member. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, downzy said:

In the end, who am but, but personally, I've got no problems with someone who at least consistently disparages the rebooting trend that has been prevalent the past fifteen years.  If you dislike and do not watch rehashed movies, that's cool.  But again, I'm not sure if many who have trashed this movie have illustrated the same level of consistency in their criticisms.

Definitely don't agree with your need to tar the film as having some form of agenda.  They're attempting to do something different.  How many more male-driven action/sci-fi films do we need?  

then why not come up with a fresh new story and new characters? if hollywood is sick and tired of "male-driven" films, then do something about it. make exciting new stories, awesome new female characters, instead of treading over the corpse of movies they are supposedly sick of. instead we get this and soon all female oceans 11. isn't it kind of patronizing to women that all hollywood can do for them is reboots? as for the misogyny it is completely overblown, why is ripley considered one of the most badass action heroes of all time? furiosa is a badass(yeah you had people didn't like her, but they were an extreme minority) and of course sarah connor. 

why does it always have to be a reboot of a franchise? like i have said before, for every fury road there has been 100 robocop's, total recalls, TMNT, nightmare on elm streets etc. 

Edited by bran
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the sequel?It is certainly not as good as the original but it is a worthy follow-up I find.

The sequel/part 2 was not that bad, not good as the original, but it did its job, at least it was not obnoxious at this one. 

• Like 1

I went to see it with my daughter, it was as awful as predicted, sadly. Its a big let down, especially for my little girl who was really looking forward to it, but the story was pathetic and it was just so all over the place, we were bored halfway through. The ghostbusters characters are rubbish, really bad acting with that horrible "humour" like Bridesmaids, don't know why I thought they wouldn't be like that in this film, that's my poor judgement I guess :/ 

The neon CGI also gets very annoying after a while. So, a big thumbs down from me. 

• Like 2

The sequel was the exact same movie as the first one, except you can tell that nobody gives a shit except Akroyd.

So at the very least, if it isn't a bad movie, it is kinda the definition of a cash grab, since that's the only reason half the actors even showed up.

Edited by Dan H.

What do you expect from a homosexual director who is a self-declared feminist and who authored an article on why men aren't funny?

This film is deeply misandrist, even the more level headed feminists have noted this. 

But that aside, it is total shit anyway. 

Edited by SoniaRose
  • Like 4

On 7/14/2016 at 2:31 AM, SoniaRose said:

What do you expect from a homosexual director who is a self-declared feminist and who authored an article on why men aren't funny?

This film is deeply misandrist, even the more level headed feminists have noted this. 

This is so indicative of the lamest arguments against the re-boot that I legitimately can't tell if this is meant as satire or not. 

Edited by Angelica

12 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'd counter the misogyny argument to an extent by citing Fury Road as an example of how to essentially redo an old classic with a feminist agenda and make one of the best films of recent years. This one just looks like a big fat turd. 

Better writers and director.

23 hours ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Certified fresh!  YEESSS!!  :hahafyou:

Well, look at the reviews they all offer their criticisms and makes you wonder how some of them are positive at all. And if 25% of a tomato is rotten, then it is a rotten tomato. 

apparently richard roeper has been been getting shit for his review, his response was pretty good though

"I can't overestimate the fucks I don't give about a t.roll who's never been paid a dime for his opinion telling me how to review movies."

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

It's kinda sad when not only movies have become PC, but reviewers as well. Most of the reviews I saw or read start with "it wasn't as bad (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) as I thought it would be" out of fear to not upset the post millennials so yeah props to Richard Roeper for having the balls to dismiss it entirely.

• Like 3

Ghostbusters finished #2 at the box office with 46 million. The secret life of pets was #1 with 50.6 million.

Ghostbusters budget was 144 million they will be facing the New star trek/ice age, Bourne movie, and suicide squad in consecutive weekends. Plus they have no China release. Probably not the beginning they hoped for.

Reports are it made 19 million in the UK and Australia.

Edited by bran

1 hour ago, bran said:

Ghostbusters finished #2 at the box office with 46 million. The secret life of pets was #1 with 50.6 million.

Ghostbusters budget was 144 million they will be facing the New star trek/ice age, Bourne movie, and suicide squad in consecutive weekends. Plus they have no China release. Probably not the beginning they hoped for.

Reports are it made 19 million in the UK and Australia.

Each, or combined? Regardless, that seems pretty weak.