Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig Cast in New Ghostbusters

Dazey

39 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Each, or combined? Regardless, that seems pretty weak.

It combines UK, Australia, brazil and a couple other markets.

Competition in the next couple weeks is going to be stiff. Feig said once with the budget and all the marketing it needed to make 500 million. Some people think this may not reach even 300 million.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbusters-ice-age-collision-course-sultan-secret-life-of-pets-finding-dory-tarzan-independence-day-international-box-office-weekend-results-1201787698/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Critics hated The Legend of Tarzan because of the original story's racism. So they were determined to pan it. Now critics do not want to look like misogynists so they praise Ghostbusters.

also since feig came out and said kate mckinnon's character is a lesbian, people online have been adding that to the pile of "why people refuse to watch this movie"

also...

As opening day approaches, Feig can’t help but think about the stakes of making a $150 million movie. “A movie like this has to at least get to like $500 million worldwide, and that’s probably low,” he says.

this movie came out with literally nothing around it this weekend. they were going up against movies that have been a week and still lost to a movie that had been out two weeks.

the other excuse going around online is the "people over estimate the ghostbusters brand" which is a crock of shit. the old school toys and ecto cooler are selling quite well. the problem is the director and the actors in the movie, pissed in the mouth of the people who actually are fans of the actual ghostbusters brand. they pandered and begged for the sjw's and the keyboard warriors who spewed the bullshit "misogyny" line over and over, and whined pissed and moaned about people refusing to see the movie to actually show up and "show those manbabies" and they didn't...shocker. more people thought going to see a talking dog for a second week in a row was a better alternative. now ghostbusters has to face a bunch of competition without the chinese safety net.

The problem is instead of going with a sequel or a reboot that incorporated the original and iconic 4 main characters, they scrapped the whole fucking canon. they could have easily shown the original cast being too old to do the job, and the cases piling up and the fire station falling into a state of disrepair. they could have had venkman pass away and haunt the fire station. it could have been cool for stantz and zeddemore maybe trap him, a cool moment where you have some kind of banter with venkman but also a goodbye at the same time. then you could see stantz and zeddemore looking around and just losing the heart and need to hire some new members. 

they could have had new members come on and learn the ropes from the remaining ghostbusters, you could have a cool moment where stantz gives the new members Egon's tobin's spirit guide book and have a cool flashback to the original of ramis as egon talking about the book, as a cool nod to fans and a good way to say goodbye. something happens where the old school ghostbusters have to team up with the new group to tackle an imminent threat with the new group as a kind of one last hurrah. the baton gets passed and before the final credits role a foreshadowing to a much greater threat is shown that leads to the sequel.

i could get behind something like that, but no this is the shit we got and people doing mental gymnastics to blame anyone for why this movie has under performed.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2016 at 10:06 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I want to know if @Iron MikeyJ will see it. Even with ok reviews i dont blame him for not wanting to go, I wouldn't see a star wars reboot

I will not spend a dime to support this film. Will I watch it on tv someday? Ya probably, but not in theaters, or any other form that requires money.

In other news, it didn't do very good at the box office, surprise surprise. Didn't even win it's weekend, and I bet it drops fairly far next week. Even with the clearly biased reviews, people are not going. People hate remakes, plain and simple. 

As for Dan's comments a couple of posts back, really dude go fuck yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of films, music, or whatever's that you feel passionate about and if someone was fucking those up you would be mad. So don't come in here and act all high and mighty because YOU don't know what the fuss is all about. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2016 at 3:23 PM, Dan H. said:

Ghostbusters had one good movie, and a whole slew of terrible TV shows, spin off, video games, and merchandise. Not to mention an abysmal sequel.

So all and all, 'one of the best films that you've ever seen' has a long and well documented legacy of being punctuated by heaps of garbage, cheap, cash grab content.

Your franchise has been dead for decades. A black eye isn't gonna hurt.

You're taking this shit way too seriously if it has that much of a negative emotional impact on you. Buy the old movie and watch it through the pansy boy tears of your childhood.

That said, this movie looks like garbage, probably won't see it.

Well said.  40% body fat, neckbeards are a funny bunch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

I hope Ozzy looks cool in that tiny scene

His name was all over posters during that scene, then he was in the very end of it for maybe 2 second tops. He did the expected "SHARONNNNNN!" yell and that was it. The weirder thing was that in the credits, my wife noticed that he was listed ass "Well Known Rock Star - Ozzy Osbourne" or something really odd like that.

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I am by no means "crying fan boy tears" or anything similiar over this. Yes Ghostbusters has not had a stellar record (besides the first film). But I do feel that the 2nd gets a bad wrap. Yes the plot is beat for beat the first film, but having said that, I prefer the banter between the 4 guys as much or even more over the first film. Maybe not as much, but still pretty damn good imo. Also the real ghostbusters cartoon series is one of the 10 beat cartoons ever made imo. Yes it got cheesy near the end, but those first 2 or 3 seasons are up there with Batman the animated series, xmen, and just about any other animated series. Also Extreme Ghostbusters is actually a pretty solid sequel to the RGB, and SHOULD have been the influence for the current film imo.

Beyond all that, this reboot is the same as star wars getting rebooted for me. Its really THAT big of a deal. Now I understand to most people it's not on that same level, but for people like me it is. Which if you haven't noticed Ivan Reitman has been reaching out to OUR demographic lately. He even said "most of the this backlash has nothing to do with sexism, it's because many people are so protective of Ghostbusters. They probably saw the film before the age of 10 and it had a massive impact on their childhood." Which this is dead on the money. Its not sexism, it's not these actoresses. Its because we feel jipped about it being a reboot instead of a sequel, bottom line. What makes it even worse (from everything that I read) this film could have kept 98% of the same story in tact and made it a sequel instead. Most of this backlash would have never happened if they did it that way. Sure SOME would have been mad that it's women, but I wouldn't have. 

The original ghostbusters went out of business (from lack of hauntings) in the early 90s, they all moved on to different things. These women are investigating ghosts (exactly like in the actual movie) because no one else is. They form a team, then the original team shows up, gives them the equipment, firehouse, ecto, etc. The girls try to use the old stuff (but it doesn't work anymore, joke). They make new stuff, New car, etc. The rest of the film you keep pretty much the same. The old fans are (happier), you still make your female centric film, everyone wins. 

Plus they make millions more because of this. Sure it would still of been my least favorite film (of the 3), but at least THAT would be an idea I can get behind.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

On July 13, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Dan H. said:

Ghostbusters had one good movie, and a whole slew of terrible TV shows, spin off, video games, and merchandise. Not to mention an abysmal sequel.

So all and all, 'one of the best films that you've ever seen' has a long and well documented legacy of being punctuated by heaps of garbage, cheap, cash grab content.

Your franchise has been dead for decades. A black eye isn't gonna hurt.

You're taking this shit way too seriously if it has that much of a negative emotional impact on you. Buy the old movie and watch it through the pansy boy tears of your childhood.

That said, this movie looks like garbage, probably won't see it.

?????????

just pirated this, got some popcorn and soda ready to go. i might not make it through this. if i have a stroke, i leave everything to lenny and my cd collection to be split between omar bradley,axlisold, slash787, and led zeppelin. my guns go to georgy except my ar 15 goes to lenny. my pc goes to pappy.

*presses play*

Edited by bran
  • Like 3

On July 19, 2016 at 0:17 AM, RussTCB said:

Saw it last night. Not bad. Not anywhere near the giant pile of garbage everyone said it would be ahead of time.

Both of them are different genres and as you have seen both of them, which one would you like to put your money on, Independence Day 2 or This one.