Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig Cast in New Ghostbusters

Dazey

On 5/27/2016 at 9:43 AM, Iron MikeyJ said:

While I agree with you to a point, I think one thing people forget is that he never wanted to be in Ghostbusters in the first place. Murray wanted to do the movie The Razor's Edge, it was something he was passionate about. The film was NOT a comedy, it was his first dramatic role I believe, and this was back in 1984. No studio wanted to fiance the film though, they didn't have faith in it (which rightfully so, since most people have never heard of it.) The only way Murray could get a studio to make that movie was if he agreed to do Ghostbusters, so reluctantly he agreed. 

Both films came out around the same time, and The Razor's Edge did NOTHING while Ghostbusters became a classic. That really upset Murray, so much so that he took the next four years off, not doing anything until 1988's Scrooged. 

But the moral of the story is Ghostbusters has NEVER been something Bill has ever really liked all that much. He says he is proud of the first film, and I believe him when he says that, but I doubt it's even one of his 10 favorite films he made. That is why he was always against making a 3rd film, he didn't want to do the 2nd one, he reluctantly signed on to do that one. Then during the making of Groundhog Day (a film that Harold Ramis directed) Murray and Ramis had a pretty big falling out. It was only repaired shortly before Harold died, but the two barely spoke for 20 Years or so. So when you really look at all these factors, that's why Bill always resisted Ghostbusters 3. We might not agree with his reasonings, but they are HIS reasons.

On the other hand, Bill has always shown an interest in doing voice over work. Its easy (only a few days work, and good money I'm sure). So the only REAL way to make a Ghostbusters 3 was to do an animated film, hence the video game. Either that or do a cameo, hence his apperance in the reboot. But I do feel it would have been difficult to do a Peter Venkmen cameo in Ghostbusters 3. He was the main man in the first 2 films, so only doing a cameo would have felt a little weird in my honest opinion, but it would have still been better than what we are getting. 

But I believe all of these factors are why there is already talk of a Real Ghostbusters animated film on the horizon. Ivan Reitman said something to this reguard a couple of months ago, basically saying the next Ghostcorps film (the new group in charge of all future Ghostbusters film, except for this current one) will be an animated film to really give the fans a proper Ghostbusters 3. They are FAR more likely to get Bill to sign up for this, and I think they know that. They only problem is who is going to play Egon? The rumor is the guy that did his voice in the real Ghostbusters might be the best choice to do the new Egon (which I agree with). But I did read a rumor that this NEW animated film will be more REAL Ghostbusters centric, as opposed to the film counterparts. But I don't think that's true, I have a feeling it'll be a mixture of both, but more in line with movies than with the cartoon. My reasoning behind this is, Dan Aykroyd is one of the execs at Ghostcorps. I don't for one second believe anyone other than him will voice Ray. If he is going to do Ray, then I'm sure they will get Ernie for Winston, and Annie Potts for Janine. That only leaves Peter and Egon as the question marks, which I think they might be able to get Bill, which would only leave Egon as the voice from the cartoon series. Which even though I do like the Real Ghostbusters, who would you rather have voice these characters, the REAL actors or the cartoon series counterparts? To me it's a no brainer.

Which brings me to my final point, I think the animated film, and a possible Russo Brothers film all will depend on the success of this first film, which is shame. I do feel this film will not do very good, and could kill off Ghostbusters perminatly. The studio will say "The franchise isn't strong enough in 2016" and cancel the whole thing, that's my fear. Which I don't think is true, it's just that THEY (the studio) are throwing a turd out first. You can't build a franchise based off a crap film. You have to start strong, which they are not doing. So the future plans (which I do like) probably won't happen because this first movie is going to kill the franchise. I still can't support this new film, but a part of me does hope it does well enough to get to some better ideas.

Good post, Mikey. I learned a lot

• Like 1

On 5/29/2016 at 1:37 AM, Silent Jay said:

Melissa McCarthy:

"All those comments, ‘You're ruining my childhood!' I mean, really," McCarthy says in the interview. "Four women doing any movie on earth will destroy your childhood?"

She adds, "I have a visual of those people not having a Ben [Falcone], not having friends, so they're just sitting there and spewing hate into this fake world of the Internet. I just hope they find a friend."

So out of touch

What you have to understand is that this is HOW it is being spun, by everyone involved in making that film. If it fails, it doesn't do what they expected, it's because of sexism. No other thoughts have been entertained what so ever. It can't be that they just plain made a bad movie, or it isn't funny, etc. No it did bad because of sexism, that is and will FOREVER be the story they use. SONY and more specifically (Amy Pascal) wanted to do a female led blockbuster type movie, and Ghostbusters just ended up being the only bullet in Sony's gun they could use (because all they have are ghost busters and spiderman, and they DID consider doing Spider woman before the MCU deal happened). But my point is, doing this movie, the way they are doing it became MORE important than the fans, the plot, story, even The actual film itself. They knew all along that playing the sexism card was there "get out of jail free card" and they are going to use it at every turn. I'm all for equal rights, I have no problem with female led anything. But I'm not crazy about them using Ghostbusters as their soap box. Why couldn't they start a NEW franchise from the ground up? Why use an existing one? But if you are going to use a treasured franchise like Ghostbusters, than things like story, plot,  story continuity, and NOT being a remake/reboot are going to be important to your fan base. Which THOSE are the areas they have really not given the proper amount attention. 

Even though this film has not come out yet, I already know exactly everything that happens in it. It started from the SONY email hack, and has continued from people leaking info that were involved in making it, so I feel pretty damn confident in my opinions. I knew 1 year ago that Dan Aykroyd was playing a cab driver and his big joke was "I ain't afraid on no ghosts" to which Wiig's character responds "that's a double negative, so that means you are afraid of ghosts." I mean come on, that's just a stupid and unfunny joke. Sure as shit, it's in the film, it's in the UK trailer. Again I knew this info one fucking year ago, or longer. 

You can see it for yourself here.

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/dan-aykroyds-ghostbusters-reboot-cameo-leaks-online

As for Dan himself, I will always love the man, but he has lost touch with reality. He has been trying for so long to get a Ghostbusters film out there, I think he would literally take anything he can get. Not to mention, as 1 of the original creators, he makes money off of everything Ghostbusters related. So I take everything he says with a grain of salt. But if he ACTUALLY believes this film is in anyways superior to the original, he is clearly delusional and misguided.

• Like 3

Haters are now Trump supporters. Thanks logic.

Judd Appatow :“I would assume there’s a very large crossover of people who are doubtful ‘Ghostbusters’ will be great and people excited about the Donald Trump candidacy,” Apatow told Uproxx. “I would assume they are the exact same people. That movie is made by the great Paul Feig and stars the funniest people on Earth, so I couldn’t be more excited.”

And here what Paul Feig have to say:

During a panel discussion at the PGA's annual Produced By conference, the director talked about the drama that has plagued the production, saying, "We stilled get called, in the press, a 'chick flick.' We are never not referred to as the ‘all-female Ghostbusters’ which makes me crazy.” 

"It was my idea to do it all-female," explained Feig, who says he was first approached to direct a sequel to the 1984 original. "I wanted to do an origin story and I thought the best way to do it was by doing it with the funniest women I know." 

The Sony film has been widely criticized since the concept and castings were announced two years ago. The online backlash picked back up in March, when the debut trailer hit YouTube, later going on to become the most disliked trailer in YouTube history. 

"I have been hit with some of the worst misogynistic stuff," said Feig, adding that prior toGhostbusters he was oblivious to the darker sides of the Internet. "I used to [hear] that people had haters and I was like 'How does that happen?'” 

"The fact that there are people who take any type of umbrage with [the movie] is mind boggling to me," added fellow panelist Octavia Spencer about the Ghostbusters, which hits theaters on July 15.

7 hours ago, bran said:

donald trump has become the go to boogeyman for absolutely everything. it is actually quite hilarious the mental gymnastics people go through.

He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. "Rat on your pop, and The Donald will get you." And no-one ever really believes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PappyTron said:

He becomes a myth, a spook story that criminals tell their kids at night. "Rat on your pop, and The Donald will get you." And no-one ever really believes.

if you say "make america great again" three times in the front of a mirror, the donald will appear and kill you.

• Like 1

Ok finally something funny, the japanese guy saying Ghostbusters made me smile a little. Movie is completely pathetic and awful filled with unffuny and untalented actors. Hopefully it will bomb and teach Hollywood and SJW warriors a lesson.

• Like 2

It's them who keep bringing up the all female thing. If the movie was well made and well scripted nobody would care about that. 

They went for slapstick, when ghostbusters are slightly kooky lovable geeks, not slapstick :/ 

That's what I don't like the look of, wouldn't like it with blokes either. 

• Like 1

On June 5, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Bumblefeet said:

They are really trying to sway the internet buzz (or lack thereof) on this movie; old and new cast will appear on Jimmy Kimmel.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/03/old-and-new-ghostbusters-casts-to-appear-together-on-jimmy-kimmel-live

Watching the Kimmel thing now as we speak. What a pit of despair. It's exactly what you'd expect from them at this point. A textbook last ditch effort to persuade us the movie won't be as shit as it probably will end up being :lol: . Alkroyd especially would look less pathetic outside Kimmel's building begging for change. Jesus Christ. I literally don't know whether it's more appropriate to :lol: or :facepalm:.

• Like 1