In the Paradise City Video

I don't know that there was any meaning. Izzy seemed to voluntarily shy away from the spotlight; looking back at the documentaries and interviews they did at the time, he was very rarely there. The other day when I was bored I went back and watched that first Rockumentary they did, when AfD first hit it big...once again, everyone was interviewed but Izzy. So maybe he didn't want the same attention Slash and the others had at all and it was his choice not to be more involved and up front.

No underlying meaning at all.

Izzy never really wanted GNR to get huge, yes he wanted to make it and make a living at it but he never wanted to be the biggest band on the planet or anything close to it.

Live on stage you can see he is always in the background even early on before they hit it big that was where he felt most comfortable.

GNR being the huge monster that it was when he left is the main reason he left but I am sure the internal workings of the band at that time didn't help.

He loved to play and perform but not on a big scale.

We GNR lost Izzy they lost the voice of reason reason behind the scenes with Slash and Axl and they also lost the best guitar songwriter in the band, he was not a lead guitarist but I am sure he held Slashs hand alot and help develop the signature sound Slash has. I am not saying Slash sucked or anything Izzy just guided him along.

When Izzy left that pretty much sealed the deal that GNR was headed for disaster.

• Like 1

So true... With the time we understand the importance of Izzy... Slash never get a better guitar partner, gnr never get a better songwriter. Sad everybody was so fucked up at the time (izzy incl.!) with alcohol and drugs or strange behavior not to understand that. If Steven Tyler used to ask Slash "where is your singer?", everybody can well ask again "where's Izzy?"... But about the interviews, in the first mtv interview we can see and hear Izzy, he's not particulary shy

Edited by nico_france
  • Like 1

Back in the day there was a (rare) Izzy Q&A where he said that he didn't like taking showers. After I read that I always just thought he was gross and smelly. LOL. Now I can see that he was pretty good looking, but I still wonder about that shower thing.

Everytime the camera focuses on Izzy in this video, the awesomeness meter reaches unmeasurable heights.

So much hotter, and so much cooler, than any of the others.

I've never felt Izzy was part of the original band (original = when successful) as the NR video was the biggie shown over here & by then Gilby was in the band.

So it's strange when people get all excited about Izzy returning, I kind of envy people who were fans way back when.

Probably just reading the article. I'm sure it was about all of GNR. Back in the day, GNR were in every rock magazine, so I'm sure someone got it and Izzy was just chilling and reading it.

I love that video. Showing GNR backstage and on the bus.

They filmed the stage shows in New Jersey and then in England. Boy those concerts must have been crazy.

Back in the day there was a (rare) Izzy Q&A where he said that he didn't like taking showers. After I read that I always just thought he was gross and smelly. LOL. Now I can see that he was pretty good looking, but I still wonder about that shower thing.

I always figured he was joking - he said guitarists don't like to take showers because you can play better when your fingers are greasy.

Then again, pre-sobriety I think all of them were probably gross and smelly. Slash peed the bed all the time and if you look at Duff's pictures c. 1991-1994 you can smell the vomit (and probably pee.)

Found a great picture of him on Tumbler the other day from the Juju Hounds days that I'd never seen before - honestly, I think I've seen most published pictures of Izzy - and I tried to post it in this thread but I've never figured out how to post pics in here.

Probably just reading the article. I'm sure it was about all of GNR. Back in the day, GNR were in every rock magazine, so I'm sure someone got it and Izzy was just chilling and reading it.

I love that video. Showing GNR backstage and on the bus.

They filmed the stage shows in New Jersey and then in England. Boy those concerts must have been crazy.

Agree. Think it was just a quick shot to show how big the band was becoming, and Slash, being more larger than life and the lead guitarist, was featured in the magazine.