Why Does Buckethead Wear A Mask?

Why does Buckethead wear a mask? I'm just wondering is it because he's shy or is it because he's self-counsious about his physical appearance. Someone told me the reason he wears a mask because he has social anxiety and he didn't want people think any bad of him something like that. Also are there any pictures floating around with Buckethead without his mask?

I've pretty much heard what the OP has. A friend of mine worked on a Buckethead show (he was at the venue where this friend worked) and reported that Bucket is very nice - and is also really painfully shy and socially anxious, to the point where he can't make eye contact with people. Portraying his character and wearing a mask might be the only ways he can get the courage and confidence to go onstage.

Edited by stella

Because without the image he's boring, just like Satriani and Steve Vai, people that take something thats so much to do with free-wheelin' spontaenaity and feeling and turn it into this awful textbook concern that sucks all the Hendrixian beauty out of guitar playing and turns it into a fucking logirithim table.

I feel like you haven't heard more than a handful of his songs. Check out The Siphoning Sequence and The Cape of Good Hope. Also, Sunbursts. I get what you mean about his technical playing, it sounds mathematic because, well, it is, but he's got *so much* other music.

• Like 1

Because without the image he's boring, just like Satriani and Steve Vai, people that take something thats so much to do with free-wheelin' spontaenaity and feeling and turn it into this awful textbook concern that sucks all the Hendrixian beauty out of guitar playing and turns it into a fucking logirithim table.

I feel like you haven't heard more than a handful of his songs. Check out The Siphoning Sequence and The Cape of Good Hope. Also, Sunbursts. I get what you mean about his technical playing, it sounds mathematic because, well, it is, but he's got *so much* other music.

I've heard a couple of albums, had a flick through that 13 CD monstrosity too. It's not bad bad as in awful and I'd put him above Vai and Satriani in my reckoning just off of the fact that he does a lot of modern sounding stuff, stuff that sounds different, y'know? He could easily slot into a lot of different contexts but like...i dunno, i like songs y'know? I like a tune. Wrong place to be looking for it I suppose cuz he's not really that kind of artist. There's amount of mileage you can get out of perfection, being note perfect to where it gets to sounding like...dull, y'know?

The character, the colour, the personality of a persons playing comes from the human aspect of their playing, a certain sloppy touch perhaps. Not that one should aspire to sloppiness, it's just natural isn't it? I think it's something that one develops when the formative years of their playing are done in a band context, the sort 'learn in publc' type idea. I'd be a moron to say he was like bad bad, as in crap cuz he's not. It just gets boring y'know? Like in the way if all Jimi had to him was the gimmicks and no tunes. I liked the Deli Creeps very much, i thought they were fantastic, highly original...and Bob is a fucking nutter. This song was good:

And this one:

I remember that one sounded better than it did actually.

He seems like someone who'd be better suited to doing soundtracks.

Edited by Len B'stard

I've heard a couple of albums, had a flick through that 13 CD monstrosity too. It's not bad bad as in awful and I'd put him above Vai and Satriani in my reckoning just off of the fact that he does a lot of modern sounding stuff, stuff that sounds different, y'know? He could easily slot into a lot of different contexts but like...i dunno, i like songs y'know? I like a tune. Wrong place to be looking for it I suppose cuz he's not really that kind of artist. There's amount of mileage you can get out of perfection, being note perfect to where it gets to sounding like...dull, y'know?

The character, the colour, the personality of a persons playing comes from the human aspect of their playing, a certain sloppy touch perhaps. Not that one should aspire to sloppiness, it's just natural isn't it? I think it's something that one develops when the formative years of their playing are done in a band context, the sort 'learn in publc' type idea. I'd be a moron to say he was like bad bad, as in crap cuz he's not. It just gets boring y'know? Like in the way if all Jimi had to him was the gimmicks and no tunes. I liked the Deli Creeps very much, i thought they were fantastic, highly original...and Bob is a fucking nutter.

I get what you mean, yea. He's easily one of the most diverse musicians out there, but I totally get just wanting some 'songs' out of him, shame the Buckethead & Friends album only has a few songs I like on it because it could've been amazing.

The 'human aspect' of it though I guess is where we see it differently, I see what you mean about it but it's almost like, I'm not listening to Brian Carroll, am I? Buckethead albums almost are like soundtracks in that, moreso in the 90's, the 'Giant Robot/Bucketheadland' themes were quite present. So to me, it really is like listening to a character; yes the Buckethead character is just an extension of the man but because it's instrumental there's so much more imagination involved, that's what I love about Bucket.

And with the Hendrix comparison, they're totally different players but Bucket started out very technical and like, 'builds' songs very well y'know? Whereas Jimi's sounded kind of more, I don't want to say 'natural', organic maybe? It's also a different beast when you're fitting lyrics to your songs, that affects the structure, almost confines you more but in a way that kind of keeps you in the traditional rock song structure, if that makes any sense.